The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Dizzy

Looking for powder recomendations!

I am new at reloading and have a question? I am getting ready to load some 115 gr. JHP 9mm rounds. I am using wolf primers with winchester brass. Can someone recommend a good safe powder for that load. This will be my first time loading solo. My friend has been working with me up to this point but have been using all of his stuff and want to purchase my own supplies. I am using my new Dillon 550b progressive press to load! Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks
Old October 30, 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Christchild

I have no recommendations, as I've never loaded for 9mm.

Do You have a Manual?

I have 4 manuals next to me, and I can post many of the powders used for 9mm, if You'd like.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Dizzy

Christchild,

I do have 2 manuals and one they both are only giving me 2 choices Winchester WSF, & American Select. I am not sure if either are any good though! I would rather have someones recommendations of who may have used a particular powder!
Old October 30, 2009, 05:40 PM   #4
That'll Do

I'd recommend purchasing another manual or two.

Powders I've used with success in 9mm include: Alliant Power Pistol, Alliant Unique, Winchester 231/Hodgdon HP-38, and Hodgdon HS-6.

It all depends what you want to do with the cartridge...do you want mild plinking loads, medium-range loads, or all-out boomers?

My personal favorite is Power Pistol for 115gr., although I've found that HS-6 is great for 147gr bullets.

You've got lots and lots of choices, I'd just pick a very common powder (like Unique) and go from there.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Foxbat

Hmmmmmmmmmm... there are hundreds of sources out there... you can start with these:

http://reloadammo.com/9mloads.htm

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Go there, select the caliber... there are many choices.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:09 PM   #6
BigJimP

Hodgdon TiteGroup is my preferred powder for 9mm / but I don't know about those Wolf primers.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:16 PM   #7
D. Manley

My favorite powders for top accuracy in lighter bullet weights in 9MM:

WSF
Ramshot Silhouette
VV N-330
VV 3-N-37
Power Pistol

For just target work, W-231/HP-38, AA # 5 and Universal work very well for lots of folks too.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:30 PM   #8
emcon5

Before you pick a powder, it may not be a bad idea to go to your local stores and see what they have on the shelf. You may find the powder you want to use isn't available.

Oh, and I have always used Bullseye for 9mm, but that will probably change next time I load, nobody has it on the shelf.