The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 26, 2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Tallest

Does anyone hunt with dual long guns?

It seems like a dumb question... after all whether we own one rifle or 99, we're all searching for the perfect hunting rifle. And realistic or not, we mean that said rifle will efficiently kill anything at almost any distance with minimal meat loss. It will also serve as a contingency arm should any possible predator, from rabid raccoons to velociraptors, attack.

But with all those rabbit trails forestalled (hopefully)...

I have a great hunting situation that I'm starting to realize is a little complex. It's a permanent blind at the crest of a flat, wooded ridge, and it has 360 degrees of possibilities. Imagine a 4-sided structure, 12 feet off the ground, with wide sliding windows on each side. It sits right in the edge of a tree line of oaks, walnuts, and patches of cedar.

The north east 180 is open sloping field, and occasionally offers great opportunities at 50 - 480 yds. I have taken several large bucks and ample does, but I have passed on an equal number of both when I came gunned for the other 180.

The other 180 is the flat, wooded top with one large clearing. The longest shot is about 90 yds, and the best shots present right in the tree fringe. Occasionally one will walk right under the blind itself.

I can make an educated guess as to where I'll see one. When I go for an evening hunt, I anticipate a close shot, something for the 30-30 or the muzzle loader. When I shoot them that close with 7-08, the 270 or the 30-06, I lose a lot of meat. And generally speaking, the longer shots seem to present themselves in the morning. But sometimes it's the opposite. So the quandary is not having the right gun for the distance. In fact, this past season, I passed on what would have been the nicest buck to date, a very elegant 10 point. But at a little over 240 yds, it wasn't a shot I felt good about with an ancient, bolt action 30-30.

Also, a pistol for close shots is out of the questions. I trust myself to take a headshot on a doe at 200 yds (not my preference! but I have done it successfully) with a rifle! But I don't trust myself to hit a basketball at 10 yards with a handgun.

The simple solution would be to take two guns. Nothing in the regs here are against it as long as the guns are legal for the season. But I can't bring myself to do it. Is seems like a breach of hunting etiquette... eating my cake and having it too, so to speak.

So I'd like to glean a general consensus from the membership here. Do any of you hunt with more than one long gun? If you don't or don't like the notion, why?

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old January 26, 2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Fla_dogman

Tried it didn't work, always had the wrong gun in hand and the extra weight sucked. I always wanted one of those combination rifle shotgun. Unfortunately they're not very popular but seem so versatile. A 243 over a 12ga seems a perfect for swamp hunting down here, of course you're limited to two shots.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old January 26, 2018, 10:40 AM   #3
FITASC

Quote:
When I shoot them that close with 7-08, the 270 or the 30-06,
Then shoot them in the head or neck.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Tallest

Quote:
Then shoot them in the head or neck.....
Hmmm... I have never shot a deer in the head with a 30-06... haha... would be interesting!

And the headshot is certainly an option with the closer range targets. But if the right buck comes out, I'm not too interested in blowing his brains out that close to those beautiful antlers... at which point I'm choosing between a mountable wrack or meat preservation.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old January 26, 2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Tallest

And have you ever had a neck roast?!

Old January 26, 2018, 12:00 PM   #6
FITASC

Neck meat makes some good chili or stew meat, assuming you tenderize it enough - which a 30-06 would be good for....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My hunting years were with two "pet" tight-group rifles: A .243 and an '06. I was mostly a walking hunter. If the terrain to be hunted was mostly open and longer shots were likely, I carried the '06. Brushier country, the .243, since distances were likely to be less.

Were I to use a stand with distances to "out there", I'd choose the '06. Just because a buck shows up at close range is no reason to worry about whether the cartridge is "too big".

The last mule deer buck that I killed was at maybe 25 yards, with my '06. He was napping at mid-day and never heard me easing along. Should I have passed the shot because he was in handgun range?
Old January 26, 2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Doyle

If you are ruining meat then you are either using the wrong bullet or shooting them in the wrong place. Ballistic tip bullets do expand violently tending to ruin meat. That's why I won't use them. But, the bigger question is where are you hitting the deer? Don't shoot Bambi in the eatin parts - a through and through heart/lung shot ruins little to no really usable meat.
Old January 26, 2018, 01:17 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

In a stand or permanent blind, I might consider multiple rifles. ...Maybe.
As with other forms of hunting, I'd probably just select one rifle that fit the majority of likely situations/ranges. And if something came up that was outside of optimum parameters, I'd pass on the shot or do something to change the situation.

For still hunting ... not a chance. Carrying two long guns is a pain in the butt.

Quote:
Hmmm... I have never shot a deer in the head with a 30-06... haha... would be interesting!
With the right bullet, it just punches a hole.
I have made a fair number of head shots on antelope with .243 Win, .270 Win, and .30-06.
Clean holes with good bullets (Partitions, Norma Oryx/Vulcan, Sierra Pro-Hunter, etc.).
Red mist and a big mess with weak/soft/explosive bullets (like Core-Lokts, Power-Points, Ballistic Tips, etc.).

But if I cared about head ornamentation, I wouldn't be doing so on a buck/bull.
Old January 26, 2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Tallest

ART - Certainly not. And I am certainly more likely to pass on a shot too far over too close.

And DOYLE - You may be on to something. I generally shoot Win Ballistic Silver Tips because I find them to be astoundingly accurate out of most of my rifles. But they seem to pulverize far-side muscle tissue... especially shoulders. Over Christmas I started reloading, and the first order of business is a medium velocity Sierra GK load for the 7mm-08.

Old January 26, 2018, 02:04 PM   #11
Tallest

FRANKENMAUSER - It's a permanent stand on private land, and it locks securely. I have contemplated leaving the 30-30 in it for the duration of rifle season, then just hiking in with one gun. The approach is about half a mile, uphill, so minimizing carry weight would be nice. There's just that one change some hoodlum might find it and break in. You'd only have to hop one fence.

Old January 26, 2018, 07:51 PM   #12
jmr40

Rifles that will kill em at 500 yards work equally well at 50 yards. The ones designed for 50 yard shots don't work well at 500. If you're losing meat you're either shooting them in the wrong spot or using the wrong bullet.

My go-to rifle for 50-500 yards from a stand is a SS/Synthetic 308 with a 22" barrel with a 3-9X scope on it. If I'm going into the thick stuff the same caliber, same bullets, but with an 18" barrel and a 1-4X scope.

There is nothing special about 308, just my personal preference. Anything from 243 on up to as big as you want will do the same thing.

You have bullet and shot placement options. A soft bullet in the lungs will often result in the deer running. Even with a good shot, and regardless of caliber 100 yards isn't uncommon. The other option is a harder bullet in the shoulder. You'll lose meet, but not the deer. They go down fast.

But a hard bullet in the lungs means an even longer run. A soft bullet in the shoulder means more meat damage and it may still run.

And if you just want to justify another gun this is as good a reason as any. But it certainly isn't a need.

Winston Churchill
Old January 26, 2018, 09:04 PM   #13
Mobuck

I don't remember dragging two long guns on a deer hunt. We do often pack a suppressed 17HMR or .223 to the deer house to plink coyotes w/o ringing our ears or spooking deer.
Old January 26, 2018, 11:53 PM   #14
lefteye

Your 7mm-08, .270 or .30-06 would be fine with the proper bullets and shot placement from 0 to 400 yards (and possibly 500 yards if you, your loads and your rifles are capable of accurate 500 yard shots.) I've taken many deer over the years including a Pope & Young Whitetail 10 point scoring 163 with a bow, a 5 x 5 Mule deer with a rifle, and a 10 point Whitetail with a shotgun using a rifled barrel and sabot slugs. (All three are on the wall.) I would never burden myself with two long guns while hunting.
Old January 27, 2018, 09:21 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I always took two rifles to the hunt camp, "in case of in case" that one of them had some problem. But just one when actually hunting.
Old January 27, 2018, 10:40 AM   #16
625TC

My answer for a very similar situation is a 7mm-08 with a 140 partition at about 2800 fps. Nosler actually offers this as a factory load
Old January 27, 2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Panfisher

Your 7-08 that you can take a 400 yard deer with is a fabulous 50 yard round as well. Turn the scope down to lowest power (get different scope if necessary). I have shot deer at 25 yards with a 3-9 Leupold with nonproblems. If you are worried about bullet point of impact take a target down there during the off season with rifle sighted in as normal and see where it hits.
Old January 27, 2018, 01:07 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

Isn't legal everywhere to have 2 rifles in the blind. However, if you know where your rifle shoots at 50 to 480 you're good for all distances in between too. Regardless of the terrain. The terrain isn't a consideration when sighting in anyway. And there isn't enough meat on Bambi's ribs for there to be significant meat loss.
"...the crest of a flat, wooded ridge..." So your shots are all down hill?
"...the right gun for the distance..." It's not the rifle. It's the shooter.
Old January 27, 2018, 02:59 PM   #19
3Crows

If I travel to hunt, I might carry two guns but I would only carry the one favored for the days conditions. Thus my Savage "Scout" reconfigured as a multi-role hunting rifle.

3C
Old January 27, 2018, 03:29 PM   #20
BIGR

Quote:
I always took two rifles to the hunt camp, "in case of in case" that one of them had some problem. But just one when actually hunting.
I have done that several times since my Deer Camp is 242 miles from my house. As far as carrying two rifles into the woods, nope never done that. I mainly use a 7 MM Magnum these days with 150 to 160 grain bullets, Sierra Gamekings or similar. Carried the 30.06 for years and used the same brand of bullets except in 180 Grains. I shoot those deers in the shoulder and have had great success.

About ready to put the 7 Mag aside and try something different except in a left hand rifle. I shoot long guns left handed and am ready to try a lefty rifle, any suggestions in a different caliber guys? 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 or maybe the .280 AI Majority of my deer hunting is 100 yards and closer. Have one corn field where I could stretch it out to 300 yards but don't hunt that field much.
Old January 27, 2018, 05:18 PM   #21
Whistlebritches

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGR View Post
I have done that several times since my Deer Camp is 242 miles from my house. As far as carrying two rifles into the woods, nope never done that. I mainly use a 7 MM Magnum these days with 150 to 160 grain bullets, Sierra Gamekings or similar. Carried the 30.06 for years and used the same brand of bullets except in 180 Grains. I shoot those deers in the shoulder and have had great success.

About ready to put the 7 Mag aside and try something different except in a left hand rifle. I shoot long guns left handed and am ready to try a lefty rifle, any suggestions in a different caliber guys? 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 or maybe the .280 AI Majority of my deer hunting is 100 yards and closer. Have one corn field where I could stretch it out to 300 yards but don't hunt that field much.
I take one rifle to the blind.......a 25-06 with 117 gr BTSP's or SST's.Up close shots,which are few but do happen,I either head shoot(does) or neck shoot(bucks).

As for the left handed change up.I too shoot lefty,my 25-06 is a LH Browning A-Bolt.I also have a LH Ruger American in 308.I am going to change stocks,probably a Boyd laminated.Other than that this is a perfect gun for up close and personal or way out there.I plan on using my 25,the aforementioned 308 and a 30-30 this next deer season.I have spots for each to shine.
Old January 27, 2018, 06:43 PM   #22
eastbank

my rifle for shooting like that is a 7mm mag with a 140gr bullet at 3000 fps with a 4.5x14 leupold with CDS, sighted on at 200 yards, at close ranges it just hold dead on and at longer ranges just dial the range marked on the dial. you will need a good range finder and practice at 300-400-500 yards. eastbank.
Old January 27, 2018, 08:30 PM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I do. Leave one in the stand and tote the other in & out of the woods.

Although I will not shoot small game upon entry exit or while seated. Had lots of chances too _but didn't.

I have encountered trophy deer feeding below my stand. I knowing if I were to shoot less than 25 ft at such quarry with my 270 stroking 3200 fps at muzzle w/130gr Nosler B-T my quarry would meet its demise with catastrophic injurys no matter where its entry wound. So for those infrequent times. My remedy. Open-barrel sighted 32 special lever laying on the carpeted floor facing side to side in front of my feet. Although my 270 Mtn rifle lays across my lap ready to be lifted into action with my only having to point gingerly out a window and push its Safety to Fire position > one shot one kill.

I very seldom need a follow-up shot. Nor do I fire at a second animal. Those remaining animals >always< get a go free pass.
"I hunt for what I'm due. Nothing more."
Old January 27, 2018, 11:14 PM   #24
Saltydog235

I’ve never killed one too dead.
Old January 28, 2018, 01:21 AM   #25
Blindstitch

Quote:
Hey me too. When you travel 300+ miles it's good to have a back up. Never needed one but it's good to have.

On the other hand when I hunt with my dad out of a box blind we have this problem solved. I carry a Winchester M1917 30-06 loaded with Winchester Power Points in 150 grain and my dad carries his Marlin 336 in 30-30 with the same spec ammo.

Most shots are under 70 yards and the gun used depends on the window being shot out of. I've shot 6 deer in the last 5 years and 5 were heart shots with the 06 and the only thing wasted was the jellied heart.