The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 22, 2013, 05:14 PM   #1
ripnbst

Springfield Range Officer in 9mm

Sorry to get you all excited but shouldn't they offer it?

I'd take a TRP in 9mm too if they would offer it.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Jim Watson

They have a Loaded Target 9mm that is not enough different to bother.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:35 PM   #3
ripnbst

Yeah i saw that but every one I've seen is stainless and I prefer their "ArmoryKote" finish. I suppose I could have it Cerakoted after the fact.

The ambi saftey is also something I don't really want but wouldn't cry about if I didn't have to pay extra for it. My main gripe is that its in stainless and I want a blued or otherwise "black" one. Carrying a stainless gun sticks out like a sore thumb when OC. Black is a little less conspicuous.
Old August 22, 2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Jim Watson

They used to make a Mil Spec 9mm in matte blue or Parkerizing, maybe you could find one on the secondary market.

Otherwise, if you want a dark SA 9mm, you will have to throw money at the problem. Cerakote, Melonite, Ionbond, chromium sulfide, and maybe other processes will blacken stainless.

I just put up with it. For example, I do not much like the reverse two-tone style, but have two because one was at too good a price to turn down for cosmetics and the other was not available any other way at all.
Old August 22, 2013, 10:56 PM   #5
DLeeHarley

Ambi - Thumb Safety

Hey ripnbst not meaning to start an arguement but can you tell me why you don't like an ambidextrous thumb safety on your 1911? I've had this discussion with a certain friend of mine and he doesn't like them either. Now I can understand if someone ONLY uses said weapon for target or competition but if it's for HD or SD, I say to him what if your gun hand gets shot or injured and you have to shoot off handed? We'd (my friend and I) would like to hear your and others opinions on this subject. Thanks and Keep your Powder Dry. Later,

Those who Talk, Don't do.
Those who Do, Don't Talk!
Old August 22, 2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Jim Watson

The main problem with an ambidextrous safety on 1911 is that the usual Swenson copy is not very strong. It is ok for occasional use by a right handed shooter doing weak hand drills or in emergency, but does not hold up well in steady use by a southpaw.
The King's (out of business) was better, as I hear the similar Kimber is.
Wilson Bulletproof is a stouter installation.

I have ambis on my IDPA guns, but took it off my Springfield Ultra Compact because of its weakness and protrusion.