The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 17, 2017, 03:05 PM   #1
Rembrandt

History of Guns.....as viewed by ancient alien theorists.

I'm watching "Ancient Aliens" on the "History Channel", while entertaining, their answer to every unexplained anomaly is "It must have been extraterrestrial influence" .

So....Why not apply this explanation to historical firearms.

Did Samuel Colt see a vision of a rotating drum-like Alien space craft shooting out beams of light and incorporate the design into the first revolver?

Was John Moses Browning abducted by Aliens who showed him craft that could be propelled by expended gases. Was the 1911 really a propulsion unit from Ancient Alien craft?

Did Kalashnikov and Eugene Stoner encounter Ancient Aliens, who may have inspired their creations? Surely no ordinary man could have come up with such brilliant technology on their own.

Was the detachable box magazine inspired by smaller Alien craft attaching detaching themselves from the mother ship?
Old June 17, 2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Fla_dogman

Well then, that explains a lot...lol . Hope they come back I need something new

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old June 17, 2017, 04:24 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

One thing to keep in mind about the History Channel is that independent producers propose programs and then if the channel is interested, they pay for it. Then the producers produce it and it is aired.

As for the revolver, Colt's wasn't the first, but the most successful to date. Browning's observation of gases was supposedly when he saw grass being blown by the gases that were expelled when the gun was discharged. His first attempts to harness the gases included a muzzle cap that captured the gas that was then used to work a lever. As for detachable box magazine, Jonathan Browning had the harmonica gun (metal block with chambers so as to allow for repeatability).

Never underestimate the genius of mankind. I thought of an electric trigger as a means for faster ignition and then read about it in W. W. Greener's The Gun and Its Development.
Old June 18, 2017, 03:43 AM   #4
armoredman

I remember reading about Mr. Browning's full auto lever action rifle. What a wild concept.
Old June 18, 2017, 09:54 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The 1911 (and its Browning-designed predecessors) isn't gas-operated. Were some of Browning's designs gas -operated? Once you get beyond the 1911 I know very little about firearms and how they work.
Old June 18, 2017, 12:13 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Most of Browning's semi & full auto designs are recoil operated. ALL his semi auto pistols are recoil or blowback operated. The 1917/1919 .30 machineguns, and the M2 .50 cal machine guns are recoil operated.

The 1895 "potato digger" machine gun, and the BAR are gas operated.

I do find the Ancient Aliens shows amusing, some of the time. Also rather pointless, if you believe in a Creator / Supreme being (by what ever name).

By definition, the Creator IS extra terrestrial, so everything on earth, and earth itself is the result of "alien influence".

Quote:
So....Why not apply this explanation to historical firearms.
umm, because its not true???

Until/unless someone produces the Aliens, and they say "oh yes, we did that..." its all just fantasy.

Now, what I want to know is who the heck built Oak Island, and WHY???
Old June 18, 2017, 10:28 PM   #7
armoredman

...Oak Island...?
Old June 20, 2017, 12:19 PM   #8
JoeSixpack

Some gun designs are crude, others are quite elegant or clever in there simplicity.

having said that they're really not THAT complex, Aliens did not abduct the designers of these classic arms.

I'd be more likely to believe if they said watch makers was abducted.. talk about complexity.
Old June 20, 2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Skolnick

The real mystery is not how modern, urban industrialist figured it out, but how primitive societies learned of advanced pneumatic technologies.

It MUST be aliens!
Old June 20, 2017, 07:20 PM   #10
armoredman

Nude blowgunner?
Old June 20, 2017, 10:49 PM   #11
5whiskey

Quote:
Nude blowgunner?
NO!!! Nude ALIEN blowgunner. Get it right, facts are correct here

LOL @ this thread, BTW.

Quote:
It MUST be aliens!
Yes, it MUST be! I picture you having the same crazy hair as the guy on the show, BTW.
Old June 21, 2017, 12:39 AM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

Breaking News:

Elvis confirmed alive and selling hotdogs from a pushcart in Columbus Circle. Film at eleven.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread