The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 2, 2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Buzzard Bait

cant edit

cant edit my about me section?
Old March 2, 2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Do you get an error message?
Old March 2, 2015, 09:06 PM   #3
Buzzard Bait

I drag the curser over the words I want to change it marks them like normal
I try to use the space bar to delete the area I marked and nothing happens
Old March 2, 2015, 09:15 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

That could be a browser issue. Try using the delete key if you selected the words (the spacebar may act differently than the preferred "delete" key), or put the cursor at the end of the word(s) and use the backspace key.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:43 AM   #5
tyme
Staff

Did you click the edit icon (yellow pencil) to the right of the text first? It's merely text on the page until you click that to turn it into an editable field.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old March 3, 2015, 11:05 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

What yellow pencil? (Maybe it's added by a browser?) The fields in the "Edit Your Details" page are always editable.

BTW, it's not his browser necessarily. I checked the select text/replace text action and it does indeed fail. Normally, with most editable fields, you can highlight a portion of text and begin typing your new text which will immediately replace the highlighted text. That works in most instances, but not on that particular page. There's no need to look into fixing it since there is a very simple workaround for the "problem".
Old March 3, 2015, 02:52 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

If he's using that page, then I have no idea what the problem is.

I was thinking he was referring to pages like http://thefiringline.com/forums/member.php?u=64389

It doesn't provide that option if it's someone else's page, but if it's yours (replace 64389 with your userid), you get the option to edit.

Buzzard, if you're still having problems, please provide the url of the page you're talking about.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old March 3, 2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Ah ha! I never noticed that that page was editable. In the for-what-it's-worth department, that version isn't select/replace editable either.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Buzzard Bait

Thanks

The yellow pencils gave me what I needed