The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 1, 2020, 05:59 PM   #1
TXAZ

Ultra bright AR rail mounted light: What do you recommend?

Just got the new .308 in. The primary purpose is home defense. What Uber-bright rail mounted light would you recommend?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 1, 2020, 07:27 PM   #2
zoomie

308 and uber bright for HD? Well okay then.

TLR-1 HL at 12:00 works well for me.
Old September 1, 2020, 07:29 PM   #3
gaseousclay

Surefire. Kinda spendy but they have a great reputation. I’m sure there are more budget friendly models out there though
Old September 2, 2020, 03:13 PM   #4
zoo

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but a uber-bright light at close quarters inside a building can be quite problematic.

A Streamlight TLR-2 G at 800 lumens or similar seems acceptable to me. But maybe you have huge halls and a GIGANTIC livingroom!
Old September 2, 2020, 06:22 PM   #5
TXAZ

Thanks for all for the input. I'm leaning toward the Inforce WMLx 800 with a diffuser. I like the Streamlight TLR-2, but it's taller than I like.

Couple that with the Wemo app that lets me turn on lights in different parts of the house and I think it's a pretty reasonable solution.

Old September 3, 2020, 11:50 AM   #6
ghbucky

Quote:
Surefire. Kinda spendy but they have a great reputation. I’m sure there are more budget friendly models out there though
Just fyi on Surefire.. don't order direct from them. I had a terrible experience buying from their online store. I never got the product and ended up having to initiate a dispute with my CC. I finally found one of their lights on a shelf and bought it.
Old September 8, 2020, 07:02 AM   #7
raddadmike

Umm...not sure you wanna go too bright. All that light reflecting off walls and other surfaces doesn't make for a great line of sight.
Old September 15, 2020, 02:45 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

either a surefire or streamlight. I tried an o-light odin... mount broke, took forever to charge, wiggled around.
Old September 15, 2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Sharkbite

I have a cpl sure-fires (Scout and X300u’s). I also have a cpl inforce WMLx’s. I like the switching on the WML and the price point is better.

Sure-fire makes a tougher light, but you pay for the name too.

I would not hesitate to go with either one of these for “real world” use.
Old September 17, 2020, 08:11 PM   #10
HiBC

I'm also looking at weapon lights. Hopefully TZAX will find value in my Q+A.

I forget if the light I have is a Surefire or a Streamlight. It was about $50 a few years back. It has served me well .I put it in a 1 in QD scope ring that I already had. Its 200 lumen. With that light, I can see the mil-dot on a 100 yd sight in target in darkness at 100 yds. I also have a little flat Lazerlyte red lazer tucked under under the scope bell. That worked out,too. It had to do with a dead cow and night coyotes,not SD.
IMO,a good 200 lumen light would be adequate to know what you are shooting at to 100 yds.

However,for SD purposes,I have another question.I don't know the answer.

For SD,my light gives my threat something to aim at. My unproven theory is maybe if I have 500 or 800 or 1000 lumens,the bad guys eyes would be overwhelmed looking into the light. He might be able to point in my general direction,but hopefully,not see sights.

Reasonable plan?
Old September 17, 2020, 10:22 PM   #11
TXAZ

Good question HiBC.

That’s one reason I have Wemo lights in rooms. I can surprise an intruder remotely. But....
The Inforce WMLx 800 purchased, will at close range, be very difficult / painful to look into for more than an instant.
The green aiming laser on the opposite side rail will likely be an “eye-sore” for some time and likely deny an intruder the ability to see clearly.