The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 23, 2020, 08:58 AM   #1
BJung

Holster search

Are there some holsters less prone to rubbing the bluing off your handgun? I've always worried about this just in case I had to holster it.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:39 AM   #2
Pahoo

Velvet ???

Quote:
Are there some holsters less prone to rubbing the bluing off your handgun?
As you have rightfully noted, eventually they all will wear on the bluing. I have found that the those that are lined with some kind of velvet type material, similar to what they line presentation cases and silver wear, wear less....
Or you can carry a non-blued handgun, like plastic or SS.

Occasionally, I have to restitch or relace a "vintage" holster and the insides are in fairly rough shape.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 23, 2020, 11:00 AM   #3
URIT

I buy holsters designed for that model and don't take it in and out of the holster too much. It is the drawing and reholstering that accelerates the loss in any holster. I've read that fabric lining attracts dust and grit which leads to faster wear than holsters leather-lined or reversed.
Old May 23, 2020, 02:46 PM   #4
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
As you have rightfully noted, eventually they all will wear on the bluing. I have found that the those that are lined with some kind of velvet type material, similar to what they line presentation cases and silver wear, wear less....
I agree with Pahoo. I've been using the Desantis lined thumb break holsters for the last couple of years and have experienced much less rub marks and bluing loss. I've been slowly replacing all of my belt holsters with them.
Old July 17, 2020, 10:43 PM   #5
Ignition Override

My Remora IWB doesn't seem to rub the bluing.

It consists of soft material.
Old July 18, 2020, 06:53 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Any holster material will eventually wear on a gun. Its kind of a toss up in my opinion. I would think leather as it is softer, but at the same time that would also increase the movement of the gun in the holster as you were walking causing it to rub against the gun. Kydex and plastic are stiffer and might cause more wear when holstering and un holstering but cause less wear when walking around due to holding them more stiffly. pick your poison.

Or better yet, this is the perfect excuse to buy a new gun! Seems perfectly justified to me to preserve the bluing.