The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 22, 2020, 08:53 PM   #1
44 Dave

Kit ?

Got given a Griswold and Gunnison today.
The Question is kit or what by whom? The markings are few only Navy Arms on the top pf barrel, made in Italy with script G. U.(think it is a G) under over the wedge. There are no proof marks or date code.
Three digit serial number of 5--
The barrel has some pitting have not gotten inside, but the action and lock up are good.
Old May 23, 2020, 06:59 AM   #2
AKexpat

G. U. is Gregorelli & Uberti. They were in business from about 1959-1962 when Aldo Uberti split off and formed his own company.

Regards,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old May 23, 2020, 09:33 AM   #3
ligonierbill

That time frame would correspond to the early Navy Arms of Val Forgett. The low serial number also; I have a Remington Rolling Block replica by Navy Arms/Pedersoli with 23XX serial number. It differs considerably from later Pedersoli replicas, parts not interchangeable. Just a guess.
Old May 23, 2020, 03:13 PM   #4
AKexpat

In the book Civil War Guns (William B. Edwards, 1962), the author explains that Val Forgett (Navy Arms) also wanted a less expensive version of the 1851 Navy steel frame with engraved cylinder and octagon barrel for the U.S. market, so G.U. produced one with a brass frame, smooth/plain cylinder, and a part round/part octagon barrel, cheaper to produce, but did not market it as a G&G.

Both the Navy Arms 1851 Navy and the "G&G" did not have separate serial number ranges and were numbered sequentially as they came off the assembly line.

Many of the early G.U. guns did not have Italian proof marks nor date codes. I would not completely write this one off as a kit gun.

This is from a short piece written by Dennis Russell about the start of Navy Arms. I found it to be an interesting read.

Regards,

Jim

To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old May 23, 2020, 03:47 PM   #5
AKexpat

As an aside, I have a good friend on another BP forum who obtained a very early Navy Arms 1851 Navy G.U. .36 that had not been cared for very well (!) for a very good price, and decided to use it as a donor revolver to create a J.H. Dance And Brothers .36 revolver. Using a small drill press and hand tools, IMO he has done a remarkable job.

If you are interested, I will let him tell the story.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/in...ic,3610.0.html

Regards,

Jim
Old May 23, 2020, 06:24 PM   #6
44 Dave

Thank you AKexpat After getting inside and other observations, not likely a kit
Not sure when kits were offered. Did not know the early G.U. guns did not have date or proof markings.
The box contained a Navy Arms "Service Guarantee" a label ---New Model Navy Revolver model 'REB' serial No. 595
Also a reproduction of Colt's directions for loading pistols
All in an original 1959 looking wood grain cardboard box.
Old May 23, 2020, 08:20 PM   #7
AKexpat

Dave,

That box with the REB marking is a true teller to me that it is not a kit gun. If I were you I would save the box and the revolver for sure and not shoot it. There are folks in replica collector circles that look for such things and the prices are fairly good. The "REB" indicator was because the early replicators really had no clue other than G&G and Schneider & Glassick produced brass frame copies of the 1851 Navy guns, were produced in the Confederacy, so as to the reference to REB.

If you want to sell it, let me know what you want for the whole package.

Email me:

[email protected]

Regards,

Jim
Old May 23, 2020, 08:59 PM   #8
44 Dave

It was a gift from a friend, don't think I could just turn around and sell it, at least for a while. .
Old June 10, 2020, 09:44 PM   #9
44 Dave

Finley a few pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0396 (Small).JPG (61.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0397 (Small).JPG (51.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0399 (Small).JPG (74.0 KB, 23 views)
Old June 10, 2020, 09:47 PM   #10
44 Dave

one more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0406 (Small).JPG (77.0 KB, 27 views)