The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 15, 2007, 02:06 PM   #201
Glenn E. Meyer

A pattern of fire in which the shooter continues to aim his pistol to follow the attacker's descent isnt excessive force

Can't resist - in what movie did you see aimed fire follow a dropping person in a manner guaranteed to make a killing shot?

Fantasy BS. In fact, there is a study underway to deal with the following problem. A cop shoots a guy and he drops, the cop is still firing and the dropping guy takes one through the top of his noggin (given the angle of his head as he drops). The cop is charged with firing a finishing shot on a guy who is down. Because how else do you shoot someone through the top of his head?

Shooting swingers is a bear in matches. One tries for a good hit. But you guys who think you are going to guarantee a killing shot on a dropping target, as to differentiate from shooting someone on the ground, are just of baloney.
Old October 17, 2007, 02:34 PM   #202
Vanguard.45

Loss of Property vs. Loss of Life

Just a couple of questions (and MY answers):

What is it a criminal takes when he murders someone?

Answer: Time (i.e. the time the person would have in the future to spend either at work or at leisure)

What is it a criminal takes when he steals property?

Answer: Time (i.e. the time in the past the person spent WORKING to acquire the funds to purchase the property the criminal now is taking from the victim)

Either way, the criminal is taking away TIME from the victim. Does the fact that the time is from the past rather than the future really all that important? I say NO!

Why is this so hard for people in the legal system to get?

Vanguard.45
Old October 17, 2007, 03:43 PM   #203
David Armstrong

Quote:
Why is this so hard for people in the legal system to get?
Perhaps because they disagree with your basic concept? I'm not sure i follow either. Are you posing that loss of time should be the criteria for determining criminal activity?
Old October 17, 2007, 04:42 PM   #204
threegun

Looks like Vanguard is comparing property crime and murder to me. Showing the similarities in both. The fact that it boils down to both crimes taking time from the victim. He is dead on IMO. Property crimes should be treated more seriously is what I believe his point is.
Old October 18, 2007, 10:03 AM   #205
ghalleen

Quote:
While I am a huge proponent of every scenario being different and a judgement call, engage brain, etc., this got me wondering about the "general" reason you would consider using lethal force. A lot of folks say they are unwilling to use it to protect property. Some are. But what about that situation when someone is pointing a gun at YOU but says they only want property?
If I don't feel threatened, I wouldn't do what the BG wants (give him my wallet, keys, etc). So, if I feel like I have to do what he's demanding, it would only be because I feel my safety is being threatened, and that means I can protect myself using whatever force I have available.