The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 17, 2021, 02:21 PM   #26
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1
Some 168 grain accubonds and Varget would be a great combo.
You're probably right, but finding Varget is tough right now.
Old August 20, 2021, 02:07 PM   #27
taylorce1

I spent about an hour at the range, wished I would have left the house sooner as it was 90⁰ when I arrived. I spent about 1.5 hours the range with set up and tear down. I only shot 23 total rounds today over chronograph to try and get some data.

Hornady American Whitetail 150 grains didn't do to bad today from 110 yards. 10 shots with not much cool down went right 2". 2623 FPS average with an ES of 46 and SD of 15.

I shot up the remaining eight rounds of the PPU ammunition I originally tried. It wasn't great at all. 2667 FPS average with an ES of 85 and SD of 28.

I also tried some Remington "Peters" Blue Tip 165 grain. The bullets sure look like Hornady SST and I actually had some hope for this ammunition, but I was really disappointed and only shot one group of five shots. 2555 FPS average with an ES of 79 and SD of 28.

Old August 21, 2021, 02:27 PM   #28
Rob228

Mildly related to your last post:

Hornady American Whitetail is what my Kimber Hunter 6.5 likes the best, it outshoots ammo that cost twice as much.
Old August 21, 2021, 04:55 PM   #29
taylorce1

@Rob228, I have shot a lot of Hornady the last few years and it usually shoots very well for me. I also like Federal blue box, as it shoots very well in my experience for affordable ammunition.
Old August 24, 2021, 04:33 PM   #30
taylorce1

Went to the range before work today and shot a few rounds again, wanted to confirm POA/POI with the Hornady American Whitetail ammunition. Pulled off a pretty decent group for having three cups of coffee.

Then I tried some 130 grain TTSX loads, first five shots didn't go well. My rifle didn't like the free recoil off the bags. I adjusted my hold on the rifle and the next group shows potential. I think a little tweaking and I'll have it dialed in on the 130s.

Old August 29, 2021, 11:47 AM   #31
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Stock came in ½ ounce over advertised weight.

One major problem with that stock for me. Someone might see you with it and it is really butt ugly!
Old August 29, 2021, 01:43 PM   #32
taylorce1

I've shot Savage for years, I'm not afraid of ugly!
Old November 5, 2021, 02:15 PM   #33
taylorce1

Well the .308 and I got it done a couple weeks ago. 265 yards and two 130 grain TTSX into the left shoulder anchor a small five point bull for me. He wasn't the one I was really going for, but some cow hunters were on the same herd, and they shot before I could sort out the biggest bull. When everything settled down, this was the last bull in the sage on the morning of the last day. Still I had a blast hunting this bull, however I never want to solo hunt elk again.

Last edited by taylorce1; November 6, 2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old November 5, 2021, 05:50 PM   #34
ligonierbill

Solo!? How did you get him out? Well, congratulations. Did you recover either of those bullets? I have a good load for those 130 TTSX, and I'd be interested in their performance (beyond the obvious fact that they killed the elk).
Old November 5, 2021, 06:46 PM   #35
Scorch

Quote:
however I never want to solo hunt elk again
Sounds like a learning experience. Congratulations on your elk.
Old November 6, 2021, 08:07 AM   #36
hooligan1

Dandy Bull man, Congrats!!!
Old November 6, 2021, 11:05 AM   #37
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill
Solo!? How did you get him out? .... Did you recover either of those bullets?
Yes solo, I had two friends that were going to help me but had last minute conflicts and couldn't come. One got a Montana pronghorn tag last minute, and the other got called away on a work emergency.

I got him out by using the gutless method in game bags. It wouldn't have been a bad pack out, there was a road I parked to recover my elk was within ½ a mile from where he was. However, the cow hunter drove in with his Polaris RZR and hauled my game bags and head out for me in one trip instead of five.

I didn't recover either bullet, one was an exit. The second shot was at a different angle and I imagined the bullet was somewhere inside the chest cavity or paunch. The left shoulder came off in two pieces, and I did find one of the blue tips but lost it in the pack out load up. It was approaching the high 60's and I wanted to get the meat into some shade, so I didn't autopsy my elk.
Old November 6, 2021, 10:32 PM   #38
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
Sounds like a learning experience.
I pretty much knew what I was getting into. However, I haven't killed a big game animal since 2014. Shattered my leg in 2015 and then focused on my daughter and her hunts after I recovered. I just realize how much work an elk is when you're all by your lonesome. That elk kicked my butt to say the least during the field dressing.
Old November 15, 2021, 12:50 PM   #39
kenny53

Great story thank you for sharing. If I read the story correctly that is a Utah elk? The last time I hunted elk over 20 years ago was behind Ephraim UT. Beautiful country, and opening day I had a 5 point bull stand broadside to me at 15 yards. The only problem was I was hunting a spike only area. The memoires are easier to drag then the animal would have been.
Congratulations on a successful hunt.
Old November 15, 2021, 02:19 PM   #40
taylorce1

@kenny53

I hunted in Colorado, I set up camp on the Utah side of the border. It was easier for me to access public land in Colorado by going in through Utah. Where I hunted (Glade Park) has a lot of public land that access is blocked by private property on the Colorado side.