The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 10, 2018, 12:26 PM   #1
sevt_chevelle

Optic mount for AR in 450

Looking for suggestions on an optic mount for an AR15 am finishing building in 450 Bushmaster. I'll be running a Vortex Viper PST 1-6. Not needing anything with OD mounts but not opposed either.
Was looking at mounts from Aero precision.
https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ult...pr-scope-mount

Thoughts suggestions...Thanks...Eric
Old November 10, 2018, 04:14 PM   #2
9x19

I like your choice.

After trying one, I now have Aero mounts (their "extended" version) on all my ARs with scopes. Solid but light weight, they work great for me.
Old November 10, 2018, 07:16 PM   #3
sevt_chevelle

Saw at Gander Mountain today, didn't look too bad, Warne Xsel30.
https://warnescopemounts.com/product...0mm-msr-mount/
Old November 10, 2018, 07:33 PM   #4
fourbore

That aero is my favorite AR mount. Most AR dudes and dudetes look for the heaviest piece of crap they can find for a scope or a mount. The Aero is a rare class act in a world of massive multi screw junk.

It is a little tricky to tighten up because the scope will rotate as you tighten the screws. It is worth the effort, many seem unable to cope. Be warned.
Old December 4, 2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Dirty_Harry

I have been using the Nikon P223 2 piece mounts for 3 years now. No complaints, light, inexpensive and have held zero

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old December 5, 2018, 09:51 AM   #6
jmorris

I have a larue QD mount and a 1-4 NF I use on mine. I also use it on other rifles/uppers too though.
Old December 6, 2018, 07:45 PM   #7
smee78

I have used the Burris AR-P.E.P.R. and have been very happy with the mounts. They come in two forms, a quick release and a non quick release model. I have put them on 223 and 308 rifles with out any problems. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...op-ar-15-matte

Let us know how you like that 450, I have been thinking about getting the parts together to build one.
Old December 8, 2018, 05:08 AM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
It is a little tricky to tighten up because the scope will rotate as you tighten the screws. It is worth the effort, many seem unable to cope. Be warned.
LOL--I'm one of those that goes crazy with that--weaver makes some rings that do the same thing.
Old December 9, 2018, 11:53 AM   #9
sevt_chevelle

Quote:
Let us know how you like that 450, I have been thinking about getting the parts together to build one.
It might be longer then I want. I have everything minus the barrel, scope and mount. My two barrel options are Tromix and Liberty. I really like the midweight barrel profile of the Liberty but they thread the muzzle with a goofy thread pitch. After a few emails they might be able to sell me one in either a non treaded or threaded in the more common thread pitch.

I also plan on have the gun Cerakoted in a Kuiu Vias camo pattern.
Old December 9, 2018, 11:57 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
It might be longer then I want. I have everything minus the barrel, scope and mount. My two barrel options are Tromix and Liberty. I really like the midweight barrel profile of the Liberty but they thread the muzzle with a goofy thread pitch. After a few emails they might be able to sell me one in either a non treaded or threaded in the more common thread pitch.
By liberty; do you mean Satern? If so, they often use polygonal rifling which I'm a fan of--but then again you probably can't go wrong with a big bore barrel from Tromix.
Old December 9, 2018, 12:19 PM   #11
sevt_chevelle

Yep Satern. For some reason I just want the midweight barrel, Tromix offers one in 16 but not 18.
Old December 9, 2018, 12:33 PM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
Yep Satern. For some reason I just want the midweight barrel, Tromix offers one in 16 but not 18.
I doubt you gain anything substantial (other than weight) with the extra 2".