The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 28, 2018, 08:29 AM   #1
Famas

Kel-Tec RBD bullpup questions

Hello - It has been a while since I've visited. A few days ago at a local gun store, one new addition immediately caught my eye: a Kel-Tec RBD bullpup rifle in 5.56/.223. It reminded me of the FAMAS I carried for four years during my time in service in the 1990s...sans the carrying handle.

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to spend some quality time examining this rifle because there were several questions I had which the store owners didn't know the answers to.

1- Why a 17.5" barrel?
2- It says the barrel has a 1:7 twist rate...is this an effective rifling for a 17.5" barrel?
3-How much of the rifle can be accessorized, or "tricked out" like the AR series? I was wondering if things could be changed/tweaked. Any parts commonality with the AR...springs, pins, etc?

I was made an offer by the store for around $900 with 2 free mags...would like some more opinions before I make a decision. Thank you!
Old October 28, 2018, 09:39 AM   #2
MarkCO

I have one, close to 5K through it.

1. Because that was what fit in the design envelope.
2. Never had any issues with the 1:7 from a twist perspective.
3. Minimal. It has rails. But other than mags and the rails, no commonality.

The first runs had some issues with the bolt and rod, but those seem to have been cleared up. My top rail loosened several times, loctite on the screws and torqued to spec to fix that. Mine has a CTC Pro (white light and laser), suppressor and an MTAC 1-4 on it. I also have the KT magwell, which I highly recommend. The trigger is really pretty decent, excellent for a bullpup.

Used it in a few matches and a few courses I taught. For a suppressor host, it is pretty good, and better than my 16" barreled ARs. It handles well and it has been 100% reliable. I know all are not, but KT does have excellent warranty service if needed.

I have been underwhelmed with the accuracy. With or without the suppressor, 1.5" groups at 100 is the best I can do with match ammo. 2-3 inches is about the norm, so on average about 3 to 4 times the groups I get with my ARs. I put an 18x24 at 400 yards and I was able to put 19 of 20 on it.

If it fits a desire and you like the form factor, it is a good system and one I plan on keeping.
Old October 28, 2018, 09:41 AM   #3
ttarp

The barrel is 17.5" so the overall length will be over 26", any less than that and it would be considered a short barreled rifle even though it has a barrel over 16".

I'm going to plead ignorance on your second question, but I don't see why not.

You should be able to hang a sling from just about anywhere on the rifle, but other than that it seems pretty proprietary. There is an aftermarket handguard available for the RDB, but other than that I don't know of too much else out there for it.

I've only handled one in a store, but its a good sized and balanced rifle, the trigger is pretty nice, the mag release is a bit crude but works, the bolt release could be bigger, the charging handle is excellent, and the gas system is easy to adjust.

If you like bullpups I think its a good gun for the money, $900 is in the upper end of the price range, they can be had on gunbroker anywhere from $700 to $900 if you spend enough time searching.