The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 29, 2022, 08:07 PM   #1
mel80

My very first revolver

picked up my very first revolver, a taurus in .44 mag , most ppl know im really good with rifles and even some handguns but this surprised the heck out of me

100 yards shooting 180g pmc jhp's

Old September 29, 2022, 11:38 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

That thing's a beast.

I love revolvers. If I'm at the range, there's about a 90% chance I'm shooting a revolver.

More fun to shoot.

More fun to load ammo.

And you don't have to chase brass.
Old September 29, 2022, 11:41 PM   #3
AzShooter

Nice setup and great group.

I love shooting revolvers also. I'm loaded up for tomorrow with 320 rounds to test the work I've done on it this week. ie sight in and check to make sure it fires all the ammo I want to use for competitions.
Old September 30, 2022, 12:25 AM   #4
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post

And you don't have to chase brass.
lol yeah that was pretty nice for a change
Old September 30, 2022, 12:29 AM   #5
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
Nice setup and great group.

I love shooting revolvers also. I'm loaded up for tomorrow with 320 rounds to test the work I've done on it this week. ie sight in and check to make sure it fires all the ammo I want to use for competitions.
ty i shot 12 rds and i was like ok thats enough mainly cause i forgot ear pro and the 9mm cases in the ears didnt exactly do the trick lol

was really surprised at the group specially being 100 yards but when i picked it up everyone was like forget shooting at ur typical 12/15/25 yard and shoot it at 50 or 100. cant wait to go back out with it again

my friend did take a video of me shooting that 100y group once he sends me over the video on facebook or however ill post it up
Old September 30, 2022, 05:17 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

You’d really like a .41mag at long distance. I used to have eyes to shoot like that. Now days I have a hard time getting a decent group with.41 at 50 yds shooting my Henry, let alone my revolvers. I really miss the days of shooting paper plates at 100 yds with my pistols. Although last year back in ND I was doing pretty good with my nephews Glock in 10mm and his LC9s. But it was a steel target about 20”x16”. I got around 25% hits with both guns.
Old October 1, 2022, 07:30 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

A hundred yards and that's the BEST you could do?! :-)

Fantastic target and congrats on the new revolver! Now that you see what you've been missing, you need another one to go with it! You'd enjoy a nice single action in 45 Colt and I'm betting your target with one would pretty much be the same. Have fun and enjoy.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 1, 2022, 09:14 PM   #8
LAH

You did good
Old October 2, 2022, 12:54 PM   #9
Mike38

Strange, most all of the "experts" in the wide wide world of the internet say that Taurus handguns are junk. Just don't tell my Taurus that, it may die laughing at you. Now, seriously, nice target!
Old October 2, 2022, 02:10 PM   #10
44caliberkid

Some 240 grain bullets may do even better. I have a 44 Mag Taurus Raging Bull and it matches or betters my S&Ws or Rugers.
Old October 3, 2022, 11:16 AM   #11
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Some 240 grain bullets may do even better. I have a 44 Mag Taurus Raging Bull and it matches or betters my S&Ws or Rugers.
i did pick up a box of 240g stuff , i ended up with the 44 by dumb luck , what i wanted was a 357 but this came up cheap so i grabbed it. since this will just be a target gun im thinking about putting a redot on it but not sure as i can obviously do well with the adjustable sights that are on it
Old October 3, 2022, 03:14 PM   #12
stinkeypete

Nice group!
Next time, take and NRA 50 yard slow fire pistol target and shoot at 50!

Tip- you can save money by purchasing the smaller center replacements for repairing your poster sized targets, or just pasting them onto big sheets of paper used for wrapping fragile things at the U-haul store.
Old October 3, 2022, 10:39 PM   #13
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
Nice group!
Next time, take and NRA 50 yard slow fire pistol target and shoot at 50!

Tip- you can save money by purchasing the smaller center replacements for repairing your poster sized targets, or just pasting them onto big sheets of paper used for wrapping fragile things at the U-haul store.
i buy these ( mostly for rifle load development at 200 yards )

they come in rolls of a few hundred for a few bucks , that big target was something somone left setup on the range and i was to lazy to walk down and setup my own lol

and i also use theese for both pistol and rifle

Old October 4, 2022, 09:00 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

Just being polite. I have had more than a lot of their revolvers and cant recommend. It is junk and will suffer the taurus transfer bar break or cylinder binding.

Nice shooting. I have enjoyed all my 66s up to when i have sent them all back.

My 608 is the n frame, it too had cylinder binding.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; October 4, 2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old October 6, 2022, 08:04 PM   #15
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
Strange, most all of the "experts" in the wide wide world of the internet say that Taurus handguns are junk. Just don't tell my Taurus that, it may die laughing at you. Now, seriously, nice target!
Taurus is not junk. Taurus simply has sub standard Q.C. You get a good one, you got a fine pistol. Far too many "bad ones" get out of the factory. (IMO)
If you do need their customer service........ Be patient. Be very patient. I own 4 Tarus pistols.
Old October 7, 2022, 05:53 PM   #16
wild cat mccane

No.

They are accurate. Their triggers are better than Ruger. Easily.

It's longevity that is the issue.
Old October 30, 2022, 04:08 PM   #17
mel80

what are your guys thought on one of theese
https://www.jackweigand.com/tngsvr.html
and if i decide just to do a reddot instead
https://www.jackweigand.com/Taurus-R...ini-Mount.html
are there any other mounts out there that are better ?
Old November 2, 2022, 10:53 AM   #18
oldbear1950

I can still remember my first revolver, was a used Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag/38.
Bought it in San Francisco , CA, did have to wait back then for 7 days, but was a different time and things were different in California back then. Was 1972, and I was
Took it home , family lived near Bakersfield, CA, and took it out in the desert , with my oldest sister, and shot it. In that small town even walked into a store to buy more ammo, with the gun in a western style holster and no one freaked, no cops were called, bought the ammo and went shooting again.
Like I said was different then.
Old November 15, 2022, 04:30 PM   #19
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel80 View Post
ty i shot 12 rds and i was like ok thats enough mainly cause i forgot ear pro and the 9mm cases in the ears didnt exactly do the trick lol

was really surprised at the group specially being 100 yards but when i picked it up everyone was like forget shooting at ur typical 12/15/25 yard and shoot it at 50 or 100. cant wait to go back out with it again

my friend did take a video of me shooting that 100y group once he sends me over the video on facebook or however ill post it up
Re. the ear protection; just keep a pair of disposable ear plugs in your shooting bag, for when you forget the muffs. It's not worth losing your hearing later in life.

Re. putting a red dot on it; that kind of accuracy warrants a 4x handgun scope, in my opinion.

Re. the Weigand mounts, I have one for my Ruger Mk. II and it is great. I put a cheap red dot on it. Use Loctite when mounting it.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer