The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 2, 2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Parkland Shooter Used 10rd Magazines

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ity-magazines/

Well, that will be awkward for the whole “ban standard capacity” magazines agenda. Not that it will slow them down in the slightest I’ll bet. They’ll just do their usual thing of imagining a hypothetical future where the results were much worse with normal magazines and use that as justification.

Also revealed: shooter dropped his rifle when it jammed and exited the school. He had 150 rounds in tem round mags.

Also, the author, while well-meaning, is clearly either gun ignorant or directly quoting the gun ignorant without explaining:

“Critics of high capacity magazines have said the gun jamming is a reason to ban large magazines because a jam would have stopped the shooting if the gunman had used long rounds of ammunition where he did not have to reload. ”
Old March 2, 2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Lohman446

The concern here is the "AWB of 2018" that is proposed bans any semi-automatic rifle or pistol that uses detachable magazines with no consideration of the capacity of said magazine. Its almost like someone knew that "high capacity magazines" were not going to be a focal point in the most recently discussed shooting.
Old March 2, 2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

In a normal political cycle, the AWB of 2018 would be a death sentence to any bill it was attached to with Republicans in control of the House and the Senate. This is turning out to be not so normal.

Pre-Parkland, Sen. Murphy (D-CT) was OK with a straight up vote on the Fix NICS Act he co-sponsored with John Cornyn, explaining what a great bill and how necessary it was. Post-Parkland, he now opposes a straight up vote and wants to load it up with fun control amendments such as said ban. He has to know that is a death sentence for all those proposals. So the options I see are:

1) Murphy somehow thinks he’ll get everything he asked Santa Trump for.
2) Murphy doesn’t actually believe any of that hyperbole he sells the rubes and thinks a gun control vote will help his party in the midterms.
3) Murphy does believe childrens’ lives are at stake but is still willing to sell that down the river for political power for his party.
4) Murphy wants Bloomberg’s money and Bloomberg wants a gun control vote.
5) Murphy is a diabolical Second Amendment Fifth Columnist deep in the belly of the beast.
Old March 2, 2018, 10:45 AM   #4
rwilson452

I gave the house bill a run through. It sure looks like the bill Feinstein puts up every year.
Old March 2, 2018, 11:20 AM   #5
zukiphile

Quote:
I gave the house bill a run through. It sure looks like the bill Feinstein puts up every year.
Impressive. It's effectively a semiautomatic ban, with a list of arms one is still allowed to purchase (some of which have been out of production for decades), and features that suggest a buyback/confiscation program.
Old March 2, 2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Lohman446

I think the anti-gunners are pushing on this one. Are they going to get everything they want? Nope. But when the do not, and it does not work, the compromises will be blamed rather then the ineffectiveness of outright bans. I mean "hard" recreational street drugs have been banned for a long time and that worked out perfectly. No more drug related crimes, deaths, or treatment programs needed.

If they get something through they are aiming for everything they want in one swoop or a reason why its not their fault it did not work.
Old March 3, 2018, 05:34 PM   #7
gargodude

This story also appeared here:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...202486304.html

The article claims that Cruz used only 10-round magazines in the shooting because larger ones wouldn't fit in his backpack. The rifle was the biggest thing in the backpack, so why would he take a bunch of 10-rounders (or even buy them in the first place, since there is no "high-capacity" mag. limit in Fla.) when he could easily fit half as many 30-rounders in? Three 10-round magazines take up way more space than one 30-round magazine. The media knows that most people have no clue about this. I call BS!

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...202486304.html

Remember this video that a student took during the shooting? I count 18 or 19 rounds fired in rapid succession. He could not have done this with 10-round magazines! I call BS! Watch the video and count the rounds fired before the scene changes.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...l-media-videos

I also noticed that this video is way harder to find than it used to be and wouldn't be surprised if it disappears altogether.

This is a prime example of MSM manipulation. If they tell the gullible public that 17 people were killed by a guy using 10-round magazines, it could only lead to a few "solutions". Limit the maximum magazine capacity to 5 or even one. Or ban detachable magazines altogether!

I'm sure this is being worked on in liberal CA, but what about other states now that federal legislation seems to be dead?
Old March 3, 2018, 08:07 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Does it matter whether he used 10-round or 30-round magazines? Only to us.

The media doesn't care about accuracy on the subject. Celebrities don't care about accuracy on the subject. Politicians don't care about accuracy on the subject. There's a narrative to be sold and legislation to be pushed, and the pictures they show will be those that portray the weapon in the most intimidating way possible.

Calling them "modern sporting rifles" or splitting hairs on technical aspects just gets us shouted down.
Old March 4, 2018, 03:15 AM   #9
dreaming

One article that I came across said that the unused rounds were in six thirty rounds magazines
Old March 4, 2018, 12:12 PM   #10
RC20

True or not, If he had to change magazines often, that presents opportunities

one wold be to fumble it and not have a working gun

The other is a time gap that allows someone to get him.

It also slows him down.

Fewer lives lost.
Old March 5, 2018, 12:26 PM   #11
Lohman446

Quote:
Fewer lives lost
While a logical goal its not one that really resonates and has people ready to follow. There is a logical problem here. We cannot advocate for reform that allows "less" life to be lost even though it is the only attainable goal - correct me if I am wrong but there are still lives lost to gun crime in Australia.

The cry is "not one more life" You cannot get there. You cannot offer realistic ideas that result in less life lost because you come off as heartless when you are are willing to accept the logical limits.
Old March 5, 2018, 01:22 PM   #12
K_Mac

Lohman I completely agree that arguing for 10 verses 30 is a losing tactic. It would then follow something less than 10 would be even better. Where does that stop? Limiting magazine capacity or removable magazines is not the answer to school shootings any more than banning guns is an answer to violent crime.

RC20 unless you have never used an AR, you know that the talk of magazines and capacity is about control and not lives.
Old March 6, 2018, 03:14 AM   #13
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post

It also slows him down.

Fewer lives lost.
Assuming mass murderers will follow all laws up until they start killing people. Most mass murders at schools have stolen weapons, or otherwise already broke the law BEFORE they start shooting. It would be ridiculous to try to not just ban but confiscate all mags over 10-rds. So they will be available on the black market at least for decades. If a person is determined to kill as many as possible then they will break any other law they feel they can get away with until then.

And in this particular case at Parkland, the reason the shooter used 10-rd mags was NOT because higher capacity ones were banned, but because that size fit his ammo bag.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 6, 2018, 10:22 AM   #14
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post

It also slows him down.

Fewer lives lost.

And your proof that fewer lives were lost? That kind of rationale leads to the banning of all guns for the law abiding while the criminals still have theirs. No thanks.
Old March 6, 2018, 02:24 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

What ATN082268? You don’t want your gun rights curtailed based on a hypothetical without any scientific evidence to support it? How extremist of you.
Old March 6, 2018, 06:20 PM   #16
2ndsojourn

From BR above:

"1) Murphy somehow thinks he’ll get everything he asked Santa Trump for.
2) Murphy doesn’t actually believe any of that hyperbole he sells the rubes and thinks a gun control vote will help his party in the midterms.
3) Murphy does believe childrens’ lives are at stake but is still willing to sell that down the river for political power for his party.
5) Murphy is a diabolical Second Amendment Fifth Columnist deep in the belly of the beast."

6) All of the above.

Fixt.
Old March 7, 2018, 05:08 AM   #17
publius42

The ten round limit is yesterday's news.

In the NY SAFE Act, they went for seven rounds.

The current FL "assault weapons" ban proposal also has 7 as the limit.

All steps along the path to the gun control paradise enjoyed by US citizens in Puerto Rico, where the limit is 5.
Old March 7, 2018, 11:44 AM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
So the options I see are:

1) Murphy somehow thinks he’ll get everything he asked Santa Trump for.
5) Murphy is a diabolical Second Amendment Fifth Columnist deep in the belly of the beast.
I think you missed the real answer:

6) Murphy doesn’t actually believe any of that hyperbole he sells the rubes and thinks a gun control vote will help his party in the midterms him.

Chris Murphy proudly portrays himself as the strongest voice against firearms in the Senate. He has an e-mail blast machine running 24/7 with which he besieges his constituents (and anyone else he can get an e-mail for) with daily (often two or three per day) messages about how the NRA is out to get him, he is the top name on the NRA's hit list, yada, yada, so even though he's not up for reelection for fifty years it's important for everyone to send in "just $3" now (and tomorrow, and the day after) so HE can continue to resist the forces of evil (i.e. the "gun lobby").
Old March 7, 2018, 01:25 PM   #19
Tom2

All steps along the path to the gun control paradise enjoyed by US citizens in Puerto Rico, where the limit is 5.
publius42 is offline Report Post Quick reply to this message Does this mean that PR bans 6 shot revolvers? Or perhaps a steel rod welded into the 6th cylinder? LOL
Old March 7, 2018, 02:27 PM   #20
langenc

Two steps forward, one step back..they will get thee just not today.

Where do they hire all those shooters??
Old March 12, 2018, 12:29 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

So, does anyone have any actual, verifiable information about what magazines and how many the shooter actually had with him??

Not what some reporter says the cops told him, not what some reporter thinks, but what was actually taken into evidence as being at the crime scene or on the shooter's person???

I know it doesn't matter to the arguments, political or moral, I just want to know who is lying, and where...
Old March 12, 2018, 01:03 PM   #22
JoeSixpack

I've only heard magazines discussed twice on the news, The first time was the day it happen and they said he left like 120 rounds behind in magazines.. now this does not speak to actual size.. one would think ok 4x 30 round mags.. If it was 10 rounders it would be 12x 10 which is a LOT to carry around.

The 2nd time I heard magazines brought up they said 10 rounders, I don't recall which outlet it was.

I have no proof, nothing to verify or point to either way.

My gut is telling me that it's true he used 10 rounders because normally that is a huge talking point they harp on and yet as I personally have only heard actual magazine capacity brought up 1 time during all of this on the main news outlets and it was more of a blurp.. like a reciting of statistics.. no discussion.