The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2009, 08:19 AM   #1
proptrash

Power supply for Santa Cruz gunlock

Hi All - I am about to secure my Mossberg 500 in my closet with a Santa Cruz SC-5 gunlock, but I intend to be able to activate it electrically via a hidden switch. Can anyone assist me with powering this? Basically, I would want the power coming from a continuously charged 12V battery - sort of like a 12V UPS. I need some help from someone a lot smarter than me in the electrical department.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:39 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

2 options are...
1) motorcycle battery with a solar charger in window sill or 110 charger...
2) if battery is not required, the power supply from any PC will do the 12 volts you seek.
Brent
Old August 21, 2009, 09:01 AM   #3
proptrash

Cheers Brent. I do want the battery feature, as I want to be able to unlock in the event of no household power. Just to clarify, you are saying it is OK to have the battery hooked up to the lock while also being trickle-charged, correct? That was the area I was stumbling on...

Thanks,

Mark
Old August 21, 2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Slopemeno

Easy- hide a 12 volt Optima or any other large, 12V deep cycle sealed battery somewhere, and wire the electronic release. You can charge the 12V sealed battery with a "Battery Tender" (for keeping your motorcycle battery charged over the winter) and you should have enough power for opening the release for a week or more in the event of a power outage.

I have a 10+year old Optima that I use for charging all my R/C gear, as most chargers for that hobby are 12 volt. I charge the Optima once a month or so with a car battery charger. During long power outages I've used it to run radios and charge cell phones.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

All you would need to do is hook the solar or electric trickle charger direct to the battery, then come off the battery to a "bus bar" with a fuse for the gun safe. Yes you could operate the lock while charging the battery.
Brent