The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 16, 2007, 02:10 PM   #1
VUPDblue

Pricing in Sale and Trade forums

The list of reasons I enjoy TFL is endless, as is the list of reasons I don't enjoy AR15.com. The latter, however has a one-up on TFL, IMO, in the fact that they require a price be set when offering for sale or trade any item. After seeing a lot of postings here for firearms and other stuff without a price listed, I am thinking that a rule ammendment is in order. It is seriously annoying when you see the title of a sale post and think this might just be the "buy of the week" only to discover that the poster is only taking "serious offers". TFL is not a private auction site, and I view it as more of a classified section. After all, it is called The Firing Line Gun show. Every gun show I have been to has prices clearly listed....

Nick
Old March 16, 2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

I agree with you. TFL is not an auction site so a definite price should be required for all items offered for sale.
Old March 17, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
VUPDblue

So that's it then. Gather up Rich, Marko, Johnny, Art, Al, Pax and Gary and lets put it to a vote!
Old March 17, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Now, that's how to make a useful suggestion!
Old March 17, 2007, 09:01 PM   #5
rhgunguy

I too love TFL over anyother gun site. But I do like the way that brianenos.com requires a post-count of 25 before you can post in the classifieds. Realy cuts down on trolls.
Old March 17, 2007, 09:47 PM   #6
contender6030

Another vote for price posting requirement. Wish I'd have thought of that!
Old March 18, 2007, 07:10 PM   #7
VUPDblue

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=241958

Precisely what I am talking about!
Old March 19, 2007, 11:58 AM   #8
fisherman66

Would trade requests be exempt from a price requirement? I hope so.
Old March 19, 2007, 12:30 PM   #9
VUPDblue

If I wrote the rule, then if you were looking to trade an item, you would be required to at least list some items that you are looking to get in trade.
Old March 19, 2007, 12:46 PM   #10
fisherman66

Sounds good to me.

I'd also like to see stronger enforcement of listing state in topic heading, but that might be nit picking.
Old March 19, 2007, 07:50 PM   #11
orionengnr

one more "yes" vote

However, I like the cynical approach of multiple mega-lowball offers. Seemed to get the attention of the individual in the above-linked post..
Old March 21, 2007, 03:20 PM   #12
Wildalaska

Of course, the downside is that maybe stuff wont get posted for sale

WildimsuresomembersherewouldntbehappyaboutthatAlaska
Old March 21, 2007, 03:39 PM   #13
TexiCali Slim

Nobody is twisting your arm to buy from Wildalaska

Negative comments about the For Sale items, the price posted, or the poster's hygiene should be given via the Private Messaging feature, or via email. The bottom line is this: if you think the person is asking an insane amount, or is selling something you wouldn't take if given to you, don't buy it.

If your not willing to take the leap of faith that Ken asks for, then don't buy from him, He's not gonna force you. I have heard nothing but Great reviews from Ken and WildWestGuns and look forward to doing buisness with him in the future. Just because your curiousity to find out the SET price on something is getting the better of you doesn't mean he has to change his buisness model.
Old March 21, 2007, 04:46 PM   #14
VUPDblue

Quote:
Just because your curiousity to find out the SET price on something is getting the better of you doesn't mean he has to change his buisness model
I hope that wasn't directed at me. In fact, I never thought about WA's offerings when I started this thread. I won't go into his business model, as that is none of my business and I don't care. I still feel that if someone, anyone, feels like they have to post a specific item for sale, they should have to post a specific price. When I see an ad that catches my eye like "S&W 29-1 4" WV" and I click on that topic and all it says is that the '29 is for sale, it really turns me off to that seller. Like having a storefront, the seller should be the one doing the leg work like posting an introductory price, or a price and an inclusion that he is taking offers too. It really turns me off to someone if I have to take my own time to track him/her down just to get an idea of price.
Old March 21, 2007, 05:21 PM   #15
TexiCali Slim

I can see your point, however

That is just how the game goes sometimes, thats like saying that when someone wants to sell a "Glock17" for $700 They have to post it cheaper because everyone knows they are posting a high price to be haggled. I don't like haggling, but if I want that "Glock17" bad enough I will haggle it down.
Whats the point? why post a beginning price? if you are considering buying a specific gun 1) Odds are your going to reserch the MSRP and get a good idea of what used "Glock17's" are going for, 2) Your going to see if you can find the "Glock17" cheaper somewhere else & 3) Your allready going to have a set price in your head that your willing to pay, so make a offer on a PM.
Quote:
I hope that wasn't directed at me. In fact, I never thought about WA's offerings when I started this thread.
That actually was directed at you but I stand corrected, I apologize, I was referring to the whining in the
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=241771
Thread that you had no part of.
Old March 21, 2007, 08:47 PM   #16
VUPDblue

I guess it comes down to the fact that I am a "NO BS" kind of guy. In all actuality, WA and myself are kinda the same, but on different sides. WA knows he has something lots of folks here want, and that he has it at a great price. He is just waiting on someone to make the call. I, on the other hand, know I have money, and know someone else would like to have it. I am just waiting on them to show me some way to spend it that is worth my while. If you won't post a price, I'll pass. I may also be annoyed, but I'll still pass. If you post a price I might buy it. If it's too high I won't but, you wont' even get a shot if you don't list a price.
Old March 21, 2007, 09:07 PM   #17
meanoldman

I would just make posting a price a suggestion. I have gotten some great deals from Ken and it doesn't irritate me much if a price is not posted. If they don't post a price and it bothers you -don't deal with them.

David
Old March 21, 2007, 10:10 PM   #18
contender6030

Seems to me there is only one reason that this price posting requirement won't happen so we're just all wearing the paint off the keys for nothing. Antipitas has made is clear (to me at least) that this is not going to happen. Oh well no big loss to me, No price= No interest.
Old March 21, 2007, 10:16 PM   #19
VUPDblue

Quote:
No price= No interest.
Exactly my point.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:17 PM   #20
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Antipitas has made is clear (to me at least) that this is not going to happen.
Contender, when you attribute something to me, do me the curtesy of getting it right.

In a Private Message about the now deceased Poll: Price requirement in FOR SALE forums, I said to contender: It won't change the way Wild does business (It's his business. He can run it how he sees fit.), and it won't change how TFL views such things - which is mostly, hands off.

That statement does not in any way say it won't happen. It does say coercion will not work. Your poll and your continued statements in this thread are designed to do one thing: Coerce the PTB to see things your way.
Old March 22, 2007, 05:28 AM   #21
contender6030

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipitas
Coerce the PTB to see things your way.
To see things my way??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUPDblue
It is seriously annoying when you see the title of a sale post and think this might just be the "buy of the week" only to discover that the poster is only taking "serious offers". TFL is not a private auction site, and I view it as more of a classified section. After all, it is called The Firing Line Gun show. Every gun show I have been to has prices clearly listed....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalH
I agree with you. TFL is not an auction site so a definite price should be required for all items offered for sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman66
Sounds good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengner
one more "yes" vote

And let's not forget about all those that piped up on the "now extinct poll" that is no longer visible. I should quit with this subject, I have wore more paint off my keys on this subject than it is worth to me.
Old March 22, 2007, 05:22 PM   #22
UniversalFrost

Here is my 2 cents for everyone.

Follow the guidelines set forth in the sticky in the various for sale sections.

Mods should enforce these guilelines more often. Maybe send a friendly PM or post to the offending thread starter.

Sellers, LIST YOUR STATE, also a price is nice and if you are interested in trades LIST WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN TRADE.

Maybe limit the ability to sell if you have a certain minimum number of posts (25-50 is a good ballpark).

Buyers, offer reasonable trades or haggling offers. Not I will give you a stevens 22 for your NIB Python or how about 200 for that Blaser. This just wastes everybody's time and bandwidth.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green