The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2018, 05:55 AM   #1
dhom

Ruger1911 10 MM

I am new to this 10MM and would like to know if anyone is shooting deer with it? How does it perform and what are you shooting? [bullets, loads]
Old March 10, 2018, 08:12 AM   #2
CDW4ME

I have a Ruger 10mm 1911, but bought it after this 10mm deer:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591069
Old March 11, 2018, 04:29 PM   #3
jmr40

I've not taken any game with mine, and probably won't. I hunt with my rifle, carry the handgun for SD where a rifle isn't practical. But with the best loads a 10mm will do anything a 357 magnum will do with similar bullet weights. Lots of hunters take deer and even larger game with 357 mag.

But loads should be chosen with care. Many 10mm loads are not much more potent than 40 S&W. If you don't hand load both Buffalo Bore and DoubleTap have some of the hotter factory loads.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=146
http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=594

I carry the DoubleTap 200 gr hardcast load at 1300 fps in my Glock when hiking in bear country and feel well protected. I watched a hunter on video take an Cape Buffalo with that load.

Phil Shoemaker, a bear hunting and fishing guide in Alaska killed a large bear that attacked a fishing client last summer with a 9mm Buffalo Bore load.

http://www.liveoutdoors.com/news/240...-9mm/#/slide/1

The better loads can do some pretty amazing things.

Winston Churchill
Old March 11, 2018, 05:40 PM   #4
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
I have a Ruger 10mm 1911, but bought it after this 10mm deer:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591069
Oh yea, my Ruger 10mm 1911 has the optional (custom) "enhanced" three dot sights.

Old March 11, 2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Stats Shooter

I recommend that if you are going to shoot full nutz 10mm ammo in it, putting in a flat bottom firing pin stop from EGW. I have the exact same gun.

With my loads that push a 200 gr JHP at 1250 fps from a 5" barrel i was throwing brass 30ft+ indicating the slide coming back hard.

After installing the flat bottom firing pin stop and going to a 21lb recoil spring (factory is 18), I now throw brass 15 ft and muzzle flip is greatly minimized.....Also it's easier on the gun.

Buffalo Bore and Underwood load full power 10mm that I would buy if I didn't load my own.

Also, this setup will cycle weaker target factory ammo as well.
Old March 12, 2018, 05:47 AM   #6
dhom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Oh yea, my Ruger 10mm 1911 has the optional (custom) "enhanced" three dot sights.

CDW4ME Where can I get those sights?
Old March 12, 2018, 05:50 AM   #7
dhom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats Shooter View Post
I recommend that if you are going to shoot full nutz 10mm ammo in it, putting in a flat bottom firing pin stop from EGW. I have the exact same gun.

With my loads that push a 200 gr JHP at 1250 fps from a 5" barrel i was throwing brass 30ft+ indicating the slide coming back hard.

After installing the flat bottom firing pin stop and going to a 21lb recoil spring (factory is 18), I now throw brass 15 ft and muzzle flip is greatly minimized.....Also it's easier on the gun.

Buffalo Bore and Underwood load full power 10mm that I would buy if I didn't load my own.

Also, this setup will cycle weaker target factory ammo as well.
Stats Shooter I have changed the recoil spring to 26LBS. It now throws the brass approx. 6-8 ft. What is a flat bottom firing pin stop? I am reloading for it. If you don't mind would you share some load data? I am aware of all the necessary precautions when reloading. So far I am liking 165 gr Sierra HP for possible deer hunts. Using AA#7 but not sure I can get the velocity and accuracy I want with that powder. I will get the chrono out soon to find out. Please keep in mind hunting is my primary interest.

Last edited by dhom; March 12, 2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old March 12, 2018, 06:37 AM   #8
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhom View Post
CDW4ME Where can I get those sights?
Dremel using small ball end bit, paint, steady hand, angel of mercy on shoulder, and you can have sights like that too.
Old March 12, 2018, 04:36 PM   #9
CastleBravo

EGW flat bottom firing pin stop changes the geometry between the slide and the hammer, delaying unlocking. This is a good thing when your cartridge runs at >50% more pressure than .45 ACP.

IMO super heavy recoil springs in 10mm 1911s are unnecessary and arguably do more harm than good. They don't make recoil forces go away, they just store then and slam them back the opposite way. 20# is plenty with the flat bottom FPS, and if I wasn't firing 200-220gr hardcast max loads often I might even go back to 18.5.
Old March 12, 2018, 07:39 PM   #10
Stats Shooter

Dhom:

most 1911's, including the ruger, are made with a beveled firing pin stop. Browning originally designed it with a flat one but GI's complained it was too hard to rack the slide.
@Castlebravo explained what it is...and he is correct about the recoil spring, it slams the slide forward hard while the flat firing pin stop delays unlock with no extra force on the slide slamming home. The only downside is that the slide is a bit harder to rack. It also reduces muzzle flip.

As far as loads, search the reloading forum for for my 10mm load thread. Or pm me
Old March 13, 2018, 05:47 AM   #11
dhom

The slide on mine is hard to rack with the 26 lb spring. I installed it because the brass was to far away to find half the time. The recoil spring slowed it to where the brass lay 6-8 Ft away. I bought the spring from Wilson and noticed the slamming forward. When I questioned them about it I was told it would do no harm.
Old March 13, 2018, 08:25 AM   #12
Stats Shooter

Call EGW and ask for a Bomar Cut 70 series flat bottom firing pin stop for 10mm, stainless. They have to special make it for you but it's only about $25. You will have to hand file it to fit the gun but it is well worth it. There are plenty of youtube videos on fitting a firing pin stop.

You will be glad you did....and go back down to a 20# spring.
Old March 14, 2018, 05:01 AM   #13
dhom

Do any of you have tried and true hunting loads to share?