The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 19, 2018, 11:39 AM   #1
dewcrew8

Essex 1911 frame question

I see that this is a old post but does anyone know the year range for the frames then? I have one in the 7xxx from island pond vt , Am thinking around 2nd or 3rd years of production. it has the early colt 22 conversion on top.
Old October 19, 2018, 11:14 PM   #2
Ibmikey

In the late 70’s through the early 90’s I built two dozen 1911’s on Essex frame’s including a Colt Ace kit on one. The early frames required extensive fitting of the parts but as time went on the parts began dropping in. All the frames that I built required mating the slide rails on the frame to the chosen slide. Among the pistols I built were Officers and Commander size guns, I simply shortened the dust cover to accommodate the slide selected. I believe Essex stopped producing frames more than five years ago indicating they would move to a different state but apparently production ceased at that time.
Old October 19, 2018, 11:21 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey
I believe Essex stopped producing frames more than five years ago indicating they would move to a different state but apparently production ceased at that time.
Correct. They announced that they were moving to Florida ... and then they dropped off the face of the earth.
Old October 21, 2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Brian48

Essex made fantastic steel frames. My very first gun was built on an Essex frame built with a GI slide, Bar-Sto barrel, and high mounted Bo-Mars. It was an absolute tack driver and to this day, probably the most accurate 1911 I ever owned. Learned a lot tinkering with it as well, including upgrading the trigger, hammer, sear, grip safety, and thumb safety. I foolishly sold it in '94 and to this day I regret it.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Posts moved from an older thread.