The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 1, 2018, 12:49 PM   #1
ndking1126

Parallax setting changed after mounting on new rifle

I have a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 that was on my 260 Rem. It's a Savage 10 action and was mounted with standard Leupold mount and rings. Long ago I put it on a lead sled and determined that the scope was parallax free at 100 yards when the side focus knob was set at 360 yards. Fairly far off, but no problem since I knew where to put it.

Fast forward to this past weekend and I took the exact same scope, rings, and mounts and put them on my father's Savage 10 BA LE since I bought a PST Gen 2 and he needed a scope. I went through the exact same mounting and leveling procedure when putting it on his gun, but I was very surprised to see that on his rifle the parallax knob had to be set at 58 yards when shooting at 100 yards. We shot some really good groups with it, so I'm convinced the scope is not damaged or broken.

Why would that change? I've never seen or even heard of this happening. The only thought I have is that the rings don't hold the scope in the same place as they did while on my rifle because he has an adjustable stock. Possibly the pressure from the rings is causing something internally to adjust? I know I did not over tighten them (very minimal, if any at all) so this seems very unlikely.

Thanks!
Old October 1, 2018, 02:26 PM   #2
hounddawg

here is a good article on parallax. I won't bother to paraphrase it but it may explain your problem. It is by US Optics

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html