The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 28, 2018, 06:11 PM   #1
hounddawg

Labradar and Samsung bluetooth incompatibility - Update

Just got a Labradar and the bluetooth connections are quirky at best. Sometimes connecting and other times error after error connecting. This is on 3 different Samsung devices with three different Android versions. I sent a email to the company and their only suggestion was reset the coms on my devices. They are claiming it is a problem with Samsungs bluetooth. I tried that but still no joy. Also reinstalled my software. I sent a second email earlier today but I guess they take off early on Friday because they have not bothered to reply to my last email.

If you have a Samsung mobile device be aware of this before purchase. The software is not all that anyway and I prefer the data on the SD card, the phone just made arming and unarming easier. Also don't expect much CS on a Friday afternoon, they probably went shooting

Last edited by hounddawg; September 30, 2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old September 28, 2018, 08:17 PM   #2
TXAZ

I had a LabRadar. It was quirky. I got some base data for a particular rifle after a lot of effort then sold it. I’m an iOS guy and didn’t even try the Bluetooth.
I don’t think it’s ready for primetime.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 29, 2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Dred

Interesting. I've been driving my Labradar with Galaxy Note 8 and Lenovo Tab 3 since the firmware supporting Bluetooth was released.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
Old September 29, 2018, 08:58 AM   #4
TXAZ

Hey Dred, you have the magic touch.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 29, 2018, 01:36 PM   #5
hounddawg

Quote:
Interesting. I've been driving my Labradar with Galaxy Note 8 and Lenovo Tab 3 since the firmware supporting Bluetooth was released.
Good to know, that is the kind of info I need

I am not too worried about the bluetooth really other than a curiosity to see how their CS responds next week. Other than arming and disarming I do not care for the software anyway. I think the programs is hard to navigate at best and prefer to just dump the SD cards data into a spreadsheet then import it into a database. I am working on a Openoffice ap where I can play with the data and look for velocity trends by caliber,bullet weight and brand, load seating depth, ambient temperature etc etc. The reason I bought the Labradar was to ensure the legitimacy of my data. They have a great rep for accuracy. For general load development my $100 Pro Chrono with the bluetooth accessory worked fine for many years and their bluetooth accessory never had a connection problem. Although to be fair it's data export function would mangle data for some reason

next week I will ask a couple of friends with other phones to see if they will load the software and see if it connects. I am fairly tech savvy for an old fart so I should be able to get to the root cause. I have a feeling I have a faulty Labradar and it being 3PM on a Friday the distributor was just blowing me off in a hurry to get home or wherever. We will see how they respond next week. Brownells has a pretty liberal return policy so I may exchange it or just get my money back and buy a new ProChrono My last died a natural death at the age of 8 due to one too many trips in the back of a Jeep.

Last edited by hounddawg; September 29, 2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old September 29, 2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

The other phones are a good idea. If none of them work, it suggests an issue with the BT inside your Labradar and that it needs a visit to the factory.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 29, 2018, 02:48 PM   #7
hounddawg

yeah I will just haul it to the range one morning to give it a fair shake. I want to see if it will connect with a iPhone. If so I may just go Apple and the iOS is a much better platform than Android. There are just too many versions of Android by too many developers. I have 4 android devices with 4 different versions in my house. The distributor could be dead on, but if it won't connect to a iPhone it's a safe bet the BT transmitter in the unit went south
Old September 30, 2018, 02:01 PM   #8
hounddawg

I owe the Labradar people an apology. The neighbors iPhone connected perfectly. Good thing I did not care for the ap anyway. However TXAZ is tight about one thing, they can be quirky. First thing anyone buying one should do is make a peep sight for it out of whatever you have handy. That little notch on the is worthless and if this thing is not situated just right it will miss a lot of shots.
Old October 1, 2018, 11:24 AM   #9
hounddawg

Update - the distributor emailed me this morning and acknowledged the ap has issues with both Samsung and Apple devices. As someone else said Labradars are nice but are not quite ready for primetime.