The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 14, 2018, 08:47 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Pluck Foam

Found a case for AR:

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Weather...-20&pldnSite=1

Wanted to know for those who have pluck foam case, after a period of time, does the foam still hold? Meaning loose near the areas that have been plucked out or anywhere for that matter?

I am currently have soft cases and one plano simple hard case for a 22lr bolt action (cone foam). This was found for the cost of a soft case at Cabela's. Curious about the foam durability and if one can buy replacement foam if used for a different firearm down the road. Is solid foam better in terms of durability? Thanks in advanced.
Old September 14, 2018, 08:53 PM   #2
ninosdemente

I like the idea of it being fitted to the firearm instead of the cone type foam or just stick to soft cases? I figure a hard case is much better at protecting your firearm, accessories, scope, etc than a soft case would. Specially when in back when you have a bunch of soft cases in the back of the vehicle cramp together along with other items.
Old September 14, 2018, 11:31 PM   #3
ninosdemente

Nobody huh?

Would this type of foam be better then... https://www.caseclub.com/product-cat.../raw-material/
Old September 15, 2018, 12:13 AM   #4
O4L

I had that same case you linked in the OP and didn't care for the pluck foam.
Old September 15, 2018, 02:31 AM   #5
ninosdemente

Did you keep the foam or did you change it?
Old September 15, 2018, 03:04 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

I've had two 'pluck-foam' cases.
Both came to me second-hand, but I don't believe that matters.

My opinion would have been the same, even if new:

Run away.
It doesn't last.
Rough handling tears it up.
And it never "grows back" or "goes back."

Double-sided egg crate is better.
Old September 15, 2018, 04:02 AM   #7
mete

Polyurethane foam ? That's been used since the 50s and 60s for car seats. Those who have seen old cars from that period know it can deteriorate one way or another depending on the details of manufacture . Yes it can still happen [I know ! in six years] Not limited to that rubber , it can even happen to expensive silicone rubber.
In any case never store you guns in cases especially soft ones . I've seen some sad examples of that . make regular checks on your guns.
Old September 15, 2018, 04:03 AM   #8
TJB101

I really like the pluck foam ... gun seems so much more secure in the case. I found some fabric glue that I used to glue together any pieces that started to separate.

Also, some folks also completely covered the foam with some 3m type spray that gave it a rubbery type overlay. YouTube that.

I wouldn’t shy away from it .. be gentle when you pull or place then gun and you’ll be fine.
Old September 15, 2018, 05:55 AM   #9
jpx2rk

I use soft sided cases, 3 rifles rode 3700 miles round trip on a pdog trip in the bed of my truck, no damage, etc. They were packed in to prevent movement but all 3 cases were touching each other.
Old September 15, 2018, 09:58 AM   #10
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
Did you keep the foam or did you change it?
I sold the case. I got it with a rifle I bought and didn't need it.
Old September 15, 2018, 11:38 AM   #11
ocharry

i have one of those cases,,,i like the case BUT i dont care for the pluck foam,,,once you pluck it you are pretty much restricted to that gun in that case,,,so using it with another gun unless it is very similar is out the window,,,

but for scoped rifle or unscoped,,dont know if an AR would work in one of these or not,,,i may have to check that out,,,and maybe a shot gun,,,check out the Plano AIR GLIDE,,,model 1301 ,,,once the gun is nested in the high density foam and strapped in,,,,it is secure and does not move inside the case,,, unless you crush the case it will protect the gun,,,i have a couple of them and i like the really well

just a thought and my .02

ocharry
Old September 16, 2018, 10:21 AM   #12
ninosdemente

Thanks for the replies. The soft/hard cases are used only when taking to range and one for hunting. Was just wondering the durability of this type of foam as I wanted to get the case specially for the price it is at. I was actually looking into getting an empty case and getting the inside for the firearm. Do like the idea of having cut outs so what I have fits "snug". I'm not stuck on using this type of foam. Am open to other suggestions.

To those who don't use foam and have any type of rifle case, what do you use instead?