The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 28, 2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot

Been a while since I've been around, I got out of shooting for a number of years, but on a whim recently built (well, partly, I bought an assembled upper simply because of the deal I got) an AR (5.56) just for the experience and to see how cheap I could do it ($296 all in with taxes, shipping, and FFL fees included - I did get a $100 lower parts kit as gift). It's a 16" barrel with the A2 front sight, no rear. I bought a cheapie rear iron sight for now, I've yet to shoot the thing so I don't know how accurate it will be.

I'm kind of looking at taking some "found" money and buying an optical sight, I don't really care to scope an AR and I want to keep the "low-cost" thing going. I'm reading that the PA Advanced Micro Dots are really a good deal for the money, wondering what the consensus is on these or other low-cost, decent quality optical sights is?

...and, yes... I've been around here long enough to know that I just opened a can of worms as far as asking for optical sight recommendations. I don't need an ACOG or a anything like that, I'm not really looking for a scope, just a decently priced red dot sight that isn't a POS.
Old June 28, 2018, 06:57 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Primary arms, Holosun or the low end Sigs are all reasonably priced and decent quility
Old June 28, 2018, 07:43 PM   #3
xandi

Primary arms customer service is good in my experience
I like the 4x optic I got from them
Old June 29, 2018, 12:19 AM   #4
KY_blkout

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandi View Post
Primary arms customer service is good in my experience
I like the 4x optic I got from them
In my opinion primary arms is one of the best with customer service, never once have I had an issue with them. I've yet to use any of there line of optics, but I did use a bushnell trs-25 red dot on a cheap 300 blk out pistol I recently did and for 90 bucks the thing seems worth its weight.
Old July 11, 2018, 06:16 AM   #5
MagnumWill

So far mine has worked really well, no complaints. It's had around 200-300 rounds exposed to it, with no POI shift at all.
Old July 11, 2018, 06:57 AM   #6
Longhorn1986

I bought one a couple of months ago for my AK and have been very pleased with it. To me, it was well worth the money. It also doesn't hurt that Primary Arms is only about 40 minutes up the road from me in Pearland.
Old July 11, 2018, 07:05 AM   #7
44caliberkid

I've used Primary Arms, Holosun, and I really like the Vortex Sparc.
Old July 11, 2018, 08:47 AM   #8
PlatinumCore16

I have read great things on the Holosun and I will be putting one on my pinned/welded barrel, piston AR, that isn't built yet.
Old July 13, 2018, 10:30 AM   #9
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Primary arms, Holosun or the low end Sigs are all reasonably priced and decent quility
Agreed on this. All three are very comparable in price, quality and battery life. I believe each one says the battery life is 40K+ hrs. I have a Holosun and I love it. It's on my bedside 300 BLK and I never need to turn it on or off. It's going to spoil me and make me look at optics where you have to turn them on/off differently...
Old August 24, 2018, 02:46 AM   #10
Dr. Strangelove

I ended up with a Vortex Strikefire II. I maybe have a couple hundred rounds experience, but it's seems fine for my needs.

Thanks for the replies!
Old August 26, 2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Captains1911

Great optic, so so mount. I have several Primary Arms and a Holosun, and use American Defense mounts with all of them, but any decent Aimpoint T1 style mount will do.