The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 9, 2014, 11:57 PM   #1
Sharkbite

M&P15 22lr. SBR

Anybody ever shortned the barrel on a MP15 in 22?? Im thinking about taking off everything past the handguard and threading it for my suppressor

Im wondering
A. How The barrel comes out of the recvr
B. If i can send the upper/barrel to a machinist to cut and thread. Does that count as manufacturing a SBR or does it only become manf once its put on a rifle lower? In other words can just any old Joe cut it or do i have to be there with tax stamp in hand as its cut?

Its not like doing a standard AR... No pistol lower to fall back on while i wait cor the stamp
Old March 10, 2014, 12:12 AM   #2
Sharkbite

And i got to thinking....

Id have to wait till i got the stamp back before having it cut anyway. Even if i dont assemble it. Id have an issue with constructive intent just having the short barrel and the rest of the gun

Jeezzzz these laws are STUPID!!!!!
Old March 10, 2014, 12:46 AM   #3
Theohazard

Yep. They're extremely stupid. It's totally legal if you get the barrel cut down ahead of time, you just can't have the upper and lower together in a place where they could bust you for constructive intent.
Old March 10, 2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Sharkbite

Ok...

I could store the upper somewhere else while the ATF does its thing

Is it ok to send the barrel off to be cut or do I (as the manufacture on the form 1) have to be there while its cut??
Old March 10, 2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Theohazard

Yeah, you can send the barrel off; you're only manufacturing it when you actually put the rifle together.

Storing it elsewhere to avoid constrictive intent is probably a good idea. But, to be honest, I'm not 100% up on the BATFE's most recent interpretations of "constructive intent". Some people say it's fine to have both parts in your house as long as they're not situated in a place that makes it look like you intend to put them together. Me, when it comes to something as nebulous as "constructive intent", I say err on the side of caution and don't even have the barrel in your house while you wait for the stamp.
Old March 10, 2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Theohazard

By the way, you might be able to avoid this whole SBR hassle altogether. Tactical Solutions makes a shrouded barrel for the 10/22 called the SBX; it has a normal barrel about 11 inches long, then it has a shroud the brings the overall length up to 16". You can slip a .22 suppressor inside and screw it on, and the suppressor only adds a tiny bit of overall length. It works best with a Sparrow; the Sparrow is wider and shorter than most .22 cans so it fits perfectly snug and only sticks out a 1/4 inch or so. The Spectre also fits great, but it's not as snug and it sticks out about an inch or so.

You might want to see if anyone makes a shrouded barrel like this for the M&P 15 .22 before you go to all the trouble to SBR it.
Old March 10, 2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Crunchy Frog

Send it to Innovative Arms and have them convert it to an integrally suppressed rifle. The bbl will be over 16" so no need for SBR stamp but the overall length is about the same as a factory rifle. Very quiet too. If you don't already have the rifle they sell it as a package for about $1150 I think.
Old March 10, 2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Sharkbite

Yeah

Ive already got the can (well waiting on the stamp) and the rifle. I was just toying with the idea of making the 15/22 a cooler host

Im not sure if i wanna dump $200 into a tax stamp for that or look into a 22 upper for the SBR i already have.... Sigh....
Old March 10, 2014, 10:42 PM   #9
Sharkbite

Anybody got any experience with 22lr uppers running on a standard AR lower??
Old March 11, 2014, 04:42 PM   #10
tmorone

Sharkebite, I do. Personally, I prefer that route over converting an M&P15-22 because of the polymer lower that comes with them.

I just registered a stripped lower, and built the upper with a CMMG conversion kit and 5.5" spikes barrel (you can find them online for cheap). After that, slapped a 9" rail on it so the silencer is almost completely shrouded in rail. Runs like a champ, and that lower will last forever. Plus if I want to make that lower a different caliber in the future it's possible- not something that can be done with the 15-22 lower.

Last edited by tmorone; March 11, 2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add picture
Old March 20, 2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Engineer

With AR-15's, it's almost not worth the price of shipping and the cost of cutting down an AR barrel when you can buy a short rimfire barrel for $100-120.

TACCOM sells an 8.5" barrel that you can make a shorty out of:

and CMMG has a 4" barrel to keep bulk pack ammo subsonic:

Old March 20, 2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Sharkbite

Ummm

Ive got an SBR'd lower for my 300blk. It sounds like maybe just a 22 upper would be a better way to go

Ive never used a 22lr upper on a AR. Besides the new upper, whats involved in it? New mags ( or will the MP15/22 work)? Some kind of magwell block??

Any details?
Old March 20, 2014, 12:20 PM   #13
Engineer

Two ways to approach a .22 upper. One way is to use a standard AR barrel and get a conversion kit with a chamber adapter. The other is to use a dedicated .22LR barrel with a .22 bolt assembly with collar.

Most aftermarket kits nowadays are of the Ciener style and you can use those style mags directly. Boonie Packer makes an adapter that can use S&W type .22 magazines - the bonus being a good working bolt hold open and magazines that have a loading button for faster/easier loading.
Old March 20, 2014, 12:40 PM   #14
Sharkbite

I think im just going to form 1 my MP15/22. It will cost about the same either way

Tax stamp + cut and thread or conv kit and new barrel

Plus this way adds to the growing stamp collection
Old March 30, 2014, 08:38 PM   #15
el_chupo_

No one answered the questions about changing barrels on the 15-22.

Check out Brownells for a 15-22 barrel nut wrench. ShooBoy makes one of them. Tacticool22 carries one as well.

Barrel nut comes off, and you can then pull off the hand guard off, and push the bbl out from the receiver.

I too am kicking around a dedicated .22 upper for an AR, but the idea of a SBR'd 15-22 makes me happy. Ive been thinking of doing a 7", and with a can there will be 2-3" of it sticking out.