The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2013, 10:48 PM   #1
HiBC

Installing Remington 513 globe sight.

For more years than I have toes I've had a Remington 513T receiver with no bolt to take up space in a box around my bench.

A little on line shopping has produced a very nice stock,a bolt,and a barrel that looks as new.Also,a Redfield 75 receiver sight.I have the mounting block.

The barrel is drilled and tapped for the original ramp/blade front sight.

I'd like to put a globe on the front,and I prefer to have it clamp to the Unertl type block..I am assuming that is what a sight like a Redfield 66 clamps on.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what part I need to search for to make an original,period setup.

I have found a Unertl type block set up to provide two different heights.It may be long enough for me to space the screws right.That might work well.

Other options might be buying an original 513 sight and machining it to suit.

Suggestions?
Old August 3, 2013, 03:23 PM   #2
HiBC

Found some answers

A little measuring showed me the Redfield 75 line of sight is approx. .900 above the bore when its down on the zero end of the scale.

The muzzle is .812.So,half is .406 plus the lowest dovetail(detatchable sight type,like a unertl block) is .175,so .581 bore to dovetail top.That only leaves .319 for a globesight height.There just is not a removable globe that low.I can get a Lyman that is .550.

Apparently the Redfield 75 was supplied on the Army 513Ts with the ramp and blade sight.

Redfield made a mounting block for the 513t that offsets the rear sight upward,allowing the use of the Olympic globe,designation might be a 513R High.

I may have a source for a man who reproduces this base.

I found most of this info on the CMP forum.
Old August 3, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The CMP would be a good place to see what they used. Winchester used similar on the Model 75, and even mixed brands, like a Lyman front and Redfield rear.

I have a book on iron sights, but I have to dig it out. I'm not sure if it has any of the old catalog listings by Redfield, or gun charts in it.
Old August 3, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4
AirCool65

I owned a Remington Model 513T back when I was in high school (like 45 years ago). It had the Redfield aperture sights, hooded front and micrometer rear. I don't recall how the front sight was attached. It's also the only firearm that I've ever sold... I need some money when I was in college.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:22 PM   #5
HiBC

Long ago I had a 513S,a little lighter barrel and slimmer stock.I put a Weaver K-4 on it.It was my headshot bunny gun.

Suddenly I had a brand new son in law.

I figured he ought to have a rifle,and asked that he raise the kids in the tradition of the 2nd Ammendment,and get a cheap gunlocker to secure it.
I gave him the rifle.

My daughter and grandkids are happy and living well.

The receiver came along and I saw my future 513T

Its old,patina brown.I'll clean it up a little and have it blued. All the parts I've found are near new...beautiful.

The stock looks like someone spilled acetone or something on it,a little refin required.

I'm arguing with myself a little over whether to drill and tap it for weaver type mounts.

Purists will gasp!! But,I'm bringing a 513T together where there was none...from parts.And,it will be done on a Bridgeport.

I'm 6'3",285 lbs and most .22's are...just little.This is a rifle.I won't sell it;the buzzards will get it when I die.

I want a target sight set up,but I want it detatchable.

I'm looking at scopes like a Unertl Hawk 4x or a Lyman All American 4x.

Cottontails,beware.
Old September 17, 2013, 12:53 AM   #6
HiBC

I found an elegant solution to this problem.

A fellow named Ken Viani makes it.

The 513T already has some drilled and tapped holes for the receiver sight base.

Some of them came with 6-48 holes drilled and tapped in the barrel for a Unertl type scope block,just ahead of the front receiver ring.

Ken makes a picatinny type bridge mount that utilizes these holes.No drilling of the receiver is needed.

The block to mount the Redfield 75 is on the left rear of the picatinny rail,about 3/8 in higher than the original.

And,he even provided a Unertl type block for a detatchable front globe.It attaches to the original front sight drilled and tapped holes.

Sweet!