The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 20, 2018, 03:02 PM   #1
dfirstcolonync

Need advice on budget target rifles.

OK, so I've been out of the loop for awhile with so many advances in new products. I want a new .308 target rifle but my budget does not include high-end equipment. I like Ruger products but their info on the Ruger Precision Rifle does not specify what I should expect from it, while the similar rifle from Savage says MOA. I can get that from my Remington 7400 deer rifle. And the Thompson Center Compass hunting rifle also claims MOA for only $250 after rebate. So my question is.... What's out there under $1500 retail that can produce ragged 1-hole groups at 100 yards? Personal experience, please.
Old October 20, 2018, 03:42 PM   #2
RC20

The short answer is nothing.

The longer answer is are you a reloader and lots of years of trigger pulling.

What I can say, its that at best a human being is capable of holding 1/4 inch if the equipment is capable of shooting it.

Back in the day when I was riding cycles, someone like Kenney Rogers would be able to beat me on a Honda VF750 vs my Nighthawk S.

If I had the VF 750 and he had the S, he would still beat me.

When you look at MOA claims, its with a very specific ammunition.

I once bought an AR that claim to be sub MOA. It was not, but when I asked for anew barrel it was, you specified the short barrel (which we offer) but that MOA does not apply to modified guns. Really?

If you got a Savage and it had a good barrel, you might get 1/2 (assuming you can shoot that).

You want to go tighter still, then you need to be David Tubbs.

The Savage is a good place to start, get a caliber that is not a barrel burner (308 holds up well) re-load, shoot about 5,000 rounds at which point if you can shoot you will see the barrel start to go.

Get the single shot with the Red Trigger that you can adjust to 8 ounces.

Then if you really want to see how good you are, get an aftermarket barrel. Litja, or the like in cut rifle. You better anticipate, you are going to waist 6 months or so.

Savage with the nut system you can replace the barrel and head space it yourself. A gun smith can do it for low cost due to little work involved.

Want something in between, get a Shilen Match or a Criterion. Good barrel and if you can shoot that will take you into 1/4 area.

After that, unless you just want to do a one hold once in a while, its custom rifle that cost big bucks.

Shooting is a system. Its the shooter, its the ammo, its the gun. Any one of those that is sub par, you won't do what you want.
Old October 20, 2018, 07:16 PM   #3
jmr40

I have the Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308. Both are tack drivers regularly putting 3 shots into well under 1". Often closer to 1/2". I paid under $400 OTD for both, although the price has gone up some recently.

The last range trip I put 16 shots under 1" with the 6.5. Two 5 shot groups with one load, and two 3 shot groups with a different bullet. That's 16 rounds at the same target under 1" @ 100 yards.

In 2018 given the option of a rifle in either 308 or 6.5 CM I'd go 6.5 every time, for any use at any range. Hunting or target shooting. There are no serious target shooters using 308 anymore. Within the last 10 years the 6.5 and 6mm cartridges have taken over. I bought the Ruger as a cheap gun just to try the round, but have several nice 308's that I like. At this point in my life ain't selling them and replacing them with 6.5's. But if advising someone younger I just can't recommend 308 over the 6.5 at this point.

Out to 500ish yards there is very little difference either way, other than recoil. The 6.5's are much softer shooting. Beyond 500 the 308 starts running out of gas and by 800-900 yards is finished. The 6.5 is still in the game at a mile.

Quality target ammo is readily available for both at similar prices.

But with a $1500 budget consider this:

http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tik...specifications

Street price is about $1000 in SS or $900 in blue. I have one in 308 that shoots slightly better than the Ruger. Of course it is 2X the price. If you go Ruger you can afford better optics.

Winston Churchill
Old October 22, 2018, 02:21 PM   #4
std7mag

But those are not "target" rifles.
Just accurate hunting rifles.

If your trying to keep the budget low, i'd go Savage. Dicks has the 12VT, (different letter designations from Cabelas) that usually go around $500. Often on sale for $100 off.
Large bolt handle, 24" heavy barrel.
Leaves you money for good optics.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 22, 2018, 04:27 PM   #5
RC20

Quote:
I have the Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308. Both are tack drivers regularly putting 3 shots into well under 1". Often closer to 1/2". I paid under $400 OTD for both, although the price has gone up some recently.
For target shooting, a tack driver will do 1/4 inch groups (and people like David Tubs can time their crossing to shoot 1s. )

3 shots is fine hunting, but target it is 5 to 10.

So unless your 5 and 10 are going in under 1/2 inch, you stand a snowballs chance in a hot place of being a target rifle.

I can play down in the 1/4 area with good loads and a good day shooting. I have done some 4 shot holes in 1. Mine are all Savage setups that are capable of under 1/2.

But you still have to have a shooter and the ammo.

Factory match is good for long shooting as the issue is wind and drop, but for 300 and under, you have to roll your own.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Bfglowkey

The Savage 12 FV from BPS or Cabela's is a very solid platform to start from ( the Dick's model is 2" shorter barrel I think but otherwise the same. ). I have one in 308. You can shoot it as is and it will perform well...lots of money for good scope if you don't have one already. Then as you progress you can put it in a chassis ...or new target stock from Boyd's...can't recall the chassis guys..I went with Boyd's. It was easy to develop a load for and it shoots both FGM and Hornady match ammo very well...so I have options. Solid trigger and adjustable. Crappiest thing is the internal magazine....but single feeding is usually my thing. It's proven itself out to 800 yards so far. About to verify my 175g TMK load to give the 1k steel a go.

Rueger American Predators...also crazy good shooters. A group of us each got one in all the different calibers and I drew the 6mm straw since I had a 308 already...but every one of them have been really surprising performing rifles. All have the Gen 1s so the 4 shot rotary magazines. Some are in factory stocks some in aftermarkets....the ones in aftermarkets are 10 shot within in a inch....also helps they are threaded for future add ons.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Bfglowkey

And we have a group of really solid shooters. So we always "check each other's " work and loads to make sure it's not a fluke..
Old October 23, 2018, 11:07 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...their info..." Is marketing anyway.
"...ragged 1-hole groups at 100 yards..." There is no commercially available rifle that will give you that right out of the box without either working up a load using match grade bullets(that start at about $30 per 100) or trying a box of every brand and bullet weight of match grade ammo(that you may not be able to afford) possible. Any company that guarantees any kind of accuracy, is lying.
And no commercial target rifle comes with sights for under or anywhere near $1500. Closest would be a Savage 10 BA Stealth at an MSRP of $1207 plus the cost of sights.
The Savage 12 FV is a hunting rifle.
"...to make sure it's not..." Unsafe. Over or under current max, etc.
Old October 23, 2018, 01:15 PM   #9
RC20

The Savage 12FV is a cross over.

It has a 26 inch barrel, and is more a Varmint (can you say target) or a target rifle.

The stock is low cost, as noted a Boyds stock will upgrade, you can get a target grip or a TH for around $125 in Laminate (its another form of composite that looks realty good with a lot of color choices and finishes). I believe you can get the larger Varmint Barrel channel option the 12FV comes with a pretty serious heavy barrel (Boyds call it a Bull I think - Savage a Heavy Varmint)

Personally I like the older Savages that had the Top Bolt Release so would likely go that route (and have)
Old October 23, 2018, 02:56 PM   #10
hagar

Just buy a Ruger precision in 308, or look for an old Remington VS/VSSF, they have much better stocks than the current offerings.
Old October 23, 2018, 04:59 PM   #11
Don Fischer

I'm not sure budget and target belong in the same sentence.

Tags
.308 win , target rifle , target shooting