The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 11, 2018, 07:06 PM   #1
MrBot

Dual-apperture BUIS for Co-witness on AR15

Any recommendations on this one? I kinda like Magpul: American made & good reviews. These'll go on pic rails/ff hg. I'll probably eventually add a red dot. Any opinions on the Aero sights?
Old September 12, 2018, 10:19 AM   #2
weblance

The Magpul is excellent. If you want a steel sight, Magpul makes the MBUS PRO. I have the offset PROs on several scoped rifles, and the polymer MBUS on several as co-witness back ups on red dot equipped rifles, and they are solid, easily adjusted, and hold zero. I wouldn't use anything else because I know Magpul will always be an great choice.
Old November 18, 2018, 01:30 AM   #3
MrBot

..appreciate the comeback, weblance. ..been away from the computer/forum for a while due to work so it took 'til now for me to respond. ..probably end up with the polymer Magpuls as I've heard a lot more good than bad about them. This is all that's missing on an Aero AR15 build I've put together so really looking forward. ..probably skip the red dot for now & concentrate on getting good with the buis. Heck, could just skip the red dot & stick with these.
Old November 18, 2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Targa

Quote:
Heck, could just skip the red dot & stick with these.
You could, but I bet you won’t..... I picked up an Aeroprecision AR and thought I would just run iron sights, then ended up co-witnessing with a red dot, then said forget the co-witness all together and went to a fixed magnification 3x scope, now I am looking at something along the lines of a variable magnification scope.
Old November 18, 2018, 02:29 PM   #5
MrBot

Heard dat, Targa! ..know all about changing course on the AR. lol ..lots of stories out there on that one. ..started out "HATING" the whole AR idea--for like 50 yrs, or for however long they've been around. ..thought all rifles had to have plenty of wood & a bolt-action. A plastic--or maybe they call it Armalite--rifle just wasn't gonna make it in my book. But then that Liz Wheeler did a vid on why she likes the AR15 & got me thinkin'. Thinkin' can get you into all kinds o' trouble. ..got on this forum & am now building 2 mid-length ARs, a 5.56 nitride & a .223 Wylde SS (The Aero nitride looks great in my book & love their SS as well--kind of a flat look SS, not polished. But I prefer the flat.). So it goes. But I don't see how you can go wrong with any of it. I'll put a red dot (maybe. OK, probably) with buis on one after I get acclimated with the buis and again MAYBE a 3x magnifier; and some kind of a lower powered scope (I'm thinking 1.5 - 4x but that could change) for the other. ..got a bit more studying to do on the topic. ..been working on these 2 since June & here it is pushing Thanksgiving but figure I'll end up likin' what I end up with. Going with folks like Aero & Magpul should give me some pretty decent equipment without having broke the bank.
Old November 18, 2018, 02:34 PM   #6
MrBot

And you know, Targa, now that you'll have all them thar extreee parts ya could just end up with another AR. .. or 2. ..or more. ..just a thought. One for longer range; one for short to mid-range; a bed-side one. ..just sayin'. ..been done. Enjoy.
Old November 19, 2018, 01:55 PM   #7
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBot
...probably end up with the polymer Magpuls as I've heard a lot more good than bad about them.
Just a word of caution: look through a Magpul rear sight before you buy one. Overall, it seems well thought out and durable, but the rear aperture is too large to allow a really crisp front sight for me.

I have one that didn't make it to the range more than once, and has never been on another rifle since. There are too many other options to suffer through one you dislike.

Plenty of people like them, so my warning isn't against buying them, but against buying them blind.
Old November 19, 2018, 03:49 PM   #8
MrBot

..appreciate that, zukiphile. I'm @ that pt--here it is Turkey Day next wk & been workin' on these 2 ARs since June--where all I need to get to the range with the 1st AR is a set of buis. ..can always add the red dot later. ..even bought a buncha bullets. So I'm gettin' kinda itchy to get out there. ..gonna do another post on buis. ..always tend to make it all a lot more involved than it oughta be. All I can say is: save the packaging. If it doesn't work send it back.
Old November 21, 2018, 04:20 PM   #9
pblanc

I have a set of polymer Magpul MBUS sights (front and rear) on one AR. They will co-witness fine with most red dot sights that come with risers intended to position for co-witness.

I agree with zukiphile that even the smaller aperture on the Magpul MBUS rear sight is bigger than I would like. I don't know if the same is true of the metal Magpul MBUS Pro or not. But I have the sights on only as a backup to a SIG Romeo 5 or a Vortex Spitfire 1X prism scope. If I wanted to try to do precision shooting with "iron" sights I would probably use something better than the polymer Magpul MBUS set. But they are light and work fine for backup.
Old November 22, 2018, 12:14 AM   #10
armoredman

I have MagPul MBUS on my one and only AR and they work perfectly. The rifle is truly a Frankengun of a Trash Panda.
MrBot, I was the same way, fired an M16A1 in 1984, hated the SPROINNGG and never tried one again until a few weeks ago, when some guys on another forum decided I needed an AR and donated almost everything I needed to build it. Fun little plinker. Ended up with two if those Cav Arms lowers too, don't know if I'll get around to finishing it anytime soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TP 100 yards CATS range.jpg (108.8 KB, 12 views)