The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 26, 2013, 10:15 PM   #1
baddarryl

When to worry about copper fouling?

When do you worry about fouling? I have an AR with maybe 200 rounds through it and a .270 with maybe 50 and both have evidence of copper. When is it enough to worry about? Neither do I use as serious target rifles. Thank you.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:25 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Approach 1:
Don't worry about it until you notice the accuracy degrading. That may never happen if your guns don't foul much.

Approach 2:
Get a good foaming bore cleaner and use it when you clean. The good ones (Breakfree for one) remove copper pretty effectively and with very little effort.
Old August 27, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3
JD0x0

I worry about fouling right after I shoot and try to get it out ASAP. It's not that necessary, but I am not hurting anything.
You can worry about copper fouling when accuracy degrades. I like to get to it way before that happens.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Bart B.

I think most commercial factory barrels need a bit of copper wash left in their bores. Most are rough enough that when all the copper's removed, more has to be scraped off bullet jackets and deposited in the micro-pits in the lands and grooves until bullets leave unscraped. Leaving a bit of copper in the bore does no harm as long as there's a thin film of oil on it. Just dry swab that oil out before shooting it.

This has been my experience with Remington and Winchester factory barrels.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Like John says don't mess with it until it affects accuracy. I have seen a 1/3 MOA rifle get cleaned and shoot over 1 MOA until it has a few shots through it. Todd Hodnett (a trusted nstructor in long range shooting, also in Magpul's Art of the Precision Rifle) told me to think of the copper as a bearing in a car motor. It works the same. The copper not only cushions the bullet, but reduces wear on the barrel. It fills imperfections in the barrel and up until the point of causing flyers and then inaccuracy will help the rifles accuracy.

I usually get a couple hundred shots before I have to break out the Butch's bore shine in my usual range rifle. It varies for each rifle. Find out what round count your rifle performs best to, and clean.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 28, 2013, 09:48 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

In my small experience, more barrels have been damaged by excess cleaning to remove that copper wash than were ever hurt by its presence. I even heard of a guy who used valve grinding compound on a patch to get that ugly "rust" out of his barrels. And I have a friend who used Gleem toothpaste to do the same. (I don't think the toothpaste - a mild abrasive - would do any harm, but Gleem is off the market so I don't know what he is using now.)

Jim
Old August 29, 2013, 07:53 AM   #7
CowTowner

Quote:
but Gleem is off the market so I don't know what he is using now.)
Sorry James, I just couldn't resist. Get your Gleem here and other interweb retailers:
http://www.drugstore.com/gleem-sodiu...paste/qxp15416
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 29, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I'll let him know. He swore it helped him win a batch of hardware at the National Matches.

Jim
Old August 30, 2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Bart B.

Go to your dentist then ask where he gets finer grades of dental pumice (what's used to clean and polish your teeth). Maybe he'll order a quart can of it for you. Mix it with a light machine oil into a paste. It'll work fine.
Old August 30, 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
JD0x0

Abrasives in a bore? No thank you. I wouldn't even want a mild one, unless I was trying to smooth out pitting or some sort of imperfection.

For copper removal, I don't think a good application of an Ammonia-free copper chelate has ever hurt anyone's bore. Proper cleaning will not hurt a gun.
Old August 31, 2013, 01:54 AM   #11
Clark

I have been using Flitz as an abrasive to get out the Copper.

I think it is finer than what was used to make the barrel.

I use Kroil, bronze brush, and KG-12.

I do not use Ammonia based solvents any more. Too much damage to the barrel and not enough damage to the Copper.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?