The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 23, 2023, 06:06 PM   #1
Swampstalker

Ed's Red and Lanolin

Howdy, Foax! For y'all who are using Ed's Red, can anyone tell me how to calculate the amount of anhydrous Lanolin to add? The revised recipe calls for 1 part Dexron ATF, 1 part Kerosene (K1), 1 part aliphatic mineral spirits, 1 part acetone, and (although it is optional) ONE POUND of anhydrous Lanolin (USP). Lanolin is expensive, and "parts" and "pounds" do not equate. Could there be a typo, i.e., should "pound of Lanolin" read "part (of) Lanolin"?

Sincerest thanks for your help,

Swampstalker
Old January 23, 2023, 06:18 PM   #2
Jim Watson

In this formulation, a "part" of the liquid ingredient is a quart, so a gallon total plus a pound of lanolin.

So mix a gallon, easy to buy solvents by the quart, and draw off a little to put a proportionate amount of lanolin in.
Old January 24, 2023, 11:30 AM   #3
BillM

It's a pound of lanolin. I've never added it because of this in the instructions:
" If you inspect your guns and wipe them down twice yearly, you can leave out the lanolin and save about $10 per gallon"
I use Ed's Red for cleaning. Ballistol for protection on the guns I use semi regularly.
Renaissance Wax on the ones that get looked at far more than they get shot (if ever).