The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 27, 2022, 12:34 AM   #1
farmall

Hellion Sling & Optic Recommendations

Been gone a loooong time! Good to see this place is still up & running well!
Found a Springfield Hellion under the tree yesterday morning.
Looking for options for optic & sling for it.

Got an Eotech 512 looking for a home but older aging eyes are going to need some magnification.
Probably mostly a range toy but could see use on 150-200yd coyotes.
Old December 27, 2022, 08:59 AM   #2
taylorce1

Sling should be easy, either a single or double point of some flavor with QD swivels. I knew the Hellion was a bullpup but had to look it up for sling mounting and see it uses flush cups. Just find the sling with the features you like, I usually won't spend more than $30 on an AR-15 sling. Your Hellion would fall into that catagory for me as well.

Optics depends on your budget. However, since you have an Eotech you might just buy a Flip To Side (FTS) 3X magnifier. Depending on how you want to use the firearm it'll give you some flexibility.

There are a lot of choices for optics out there. I was on the hunt recently for a LPVO for my ARs, I bought a Burris RT-6 and it is definitely worth a look. However, a 1-4X would probably work as well for your needs.
Old December 28, 2022, 01:52 AM   #3
DubC-Hicks

The Savvy Sniper sling is my all time favorite and one I recommend to everyone. They're pricey though. The Magpul MS4 and Blue Force Gear Vickers slings are great as well.

As far as optics, I'd ask if you're wanting an LPVO or fixed magnification, and what the budget is. On the less expensive end of the spectrum, I really like Primary Arms' offerings. Being that the Hellion is a little hefty as is, I think their 3x Microprism would be an excellent choice for it. But if you're wanting a little more mag, their 1-6 and 1-8 options can't be beat in that price range IMO.
Old December 29, 2022, 06:24 PM   #4
Yellowfin

Primary Arms or Vortex 1-6 gets my vote as well.
Old December 31, 2022, 06:22 PM   #5
farmall

Thanks guys!
Been looking hard at a Burris RT-6…maybe with the FastFire combo.