The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 27, 2021, 09:10 PM   #1
projopal

octagon barrel belgium

If anyone could tell me more about what model this is, what years it was made. If it's anything unique or collectible these days I would appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: png octagon - Copy.png (1,009.6 KB, 95 views)
Old March 27, 2021, 10:32 PM   #2
Jim Watson

That is a Flobert of the "Remington pattern" very common around the turn of the century.
One of the cheapest rifles ever made. Sears and Roebuck would sell you one, but would not warranty it and recommended you buy a quality gun like a Stevens. Truth in advertising in 1901.
I have seen them piled up like cordwood in a store's back room, just waiting for a sucker who thought "old is gold."
Old March 28, 2021, 10:04 AM   #3
projopal

Oh I didn't expect it to be gold. If it was cheap and you could order it from Montgomery ward grandpa did. Ironically there's also a 16ga J Stevens Arms and tool co and a 22 J stevens visible loading repeater in the bunch along with others.
Thanks for the ID. When they put so few markings on these things it's hard to know what to look up to find info.
Old March 28, 2021, 10:53 AM   #4
Jim Watson

The shotgun was made sometime before 1915 when New England Westinghouse bought the factory to make rifles for the Czar and renamed the commercial side J. Stevens Arms Co.

The Visible Loader was made from 1907 until up in the 1930s. It has a reputation for being tedious to get readjusted when taken apart and reassembled, but now we have youtube which should help.