The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2023, 06:03 PM   #1
Straitshot

Seeking advise on the Desert Eagle 1911, update photos of new 1911

Thinking I am wanting to get another 1911 and I believe I want the commander size. I have a full-size early model Kimber I have had close to twenty years, and I also have a compact Dan Wesson in 9mm. I am seriously looking at the Desert Eagle 1911C. Is anyone familiar with them and if so, what is your opinion? I know the slide to frame has very close tolerances and it is bushing less as is my Dan Wesson ECO. I would appreciate your informed thoughts especially if you have owned and shot one. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Straitshot; January 25, 2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old January 25, 2023, 12:34 AM   #2
Straitshot

Since making this post I was able to find several review videos on line of the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911C and all of them were positive, so I think I have pretty much made up my mind.

Well I made my purchase and here are a couple of photos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04984-1.JPG (103.3 KB, 287 views)
File Type: png DSC04985-1-1-2.png (827.2 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by Straitshot; January 25, 2023 at 04:53 PM.
Old January 26, 2023, 04:42 AM   #3
CajunBass

There is a used one in the case at my LGS. I havn't examined it but it looks to be a decent gun. I'm not even sure if it's a full or commander sized one, but it seems reasonably priced (about $800 IIRC). I'd never even heard of them, so the title of the thread caught my eye.

Nice looking one you've got there. Enjoy it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 26, 2023, 12:09 PM   #4
Straitshot

Here is a video of Hickock 45 shooting one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atS2JvVWYxw&t=2s
Old January 26, 2023, 02:40 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Here is a video of Hickock 45 shooting one.
Cool vid--I love the way you can see the incoming bullets on that far gong.

That is one sexy 1911 straightshot--look forward to your shooting reviews.
Old January 29, 2023, 08:01 AM   #6
Crunchy Frog

They dropped the Desert Eagle name from the 1911s and now call them Magnum Research but it's the same excellent gun.

I think they are made by BUL Armory which sells slightly different 1911 models under its own name.

Definitely the top of my list were I to buy another 1911.
Old January 29, 2023, 10:55 PM   #7
Straitshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
They dropped the Desert Eagle name from the 1911s and now call them Magnum Research but it's the same excellent gun.

I think they are made by BUL Armory which sells slightly different 1911 models under its own name.

Definitely the top of my list were I to buy another 1911.
Yes, I read where calling them Desert Eagle was causing confusion with the original Desert Eagle so they decided to change it to the Magnu Research 1911. They also made the lettering on the side of the slide smaller.
Old February 6, 2023, 05:25 PM   #8
Straitshot

Well, the weather warmed up and I finally got to go to the range.

My first magazine full I shot quite well for the first five shots and then my shots were all left. The second magazine the shots started left with a few in the middle and a few right. I continued to shoot and finally everything was going left. When I had shot up my entire box of shells and was wipping down the frearm to come home I noticed the rear site had moved all the way to the left. Upon inspection the set screw had become loose, probably during my first few shots, enough for the rear sight to move from side to side.

To be honest I was very relieved to discover this as I was very disappointed in how the firearm shot. I did not have an allen wrench or any more ammo so I could not do anythin untill I got home. I have since put a little blue locktite on the screw and adjusted the rear sight. Now I must wait for some better weather and go to the range again.

I should have thought to check the rear sight better while shooting as this happened to me once before on a different firearm but the same style rear sight.