The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 27, 2023, 03:50 PM   #301
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagpanther
Wow! Wouldn't that be cool!
It would be neat to have SBRs cut out of the NFA, but I've noticed that SBRs can be very loud, maybe even dangerously loud. Foresight, safety and due care for people located in the vicinity of ranges would have suppressors off the list too.

Just saying.

Old January 27, 2023, 09:36 PM   #302
stagpanther

Totally agree--my tinnitus just keeps getting worse.
Old January 27, 2023, 11:11 PM   #303
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile
It would be neat to have SBRs cut out of the NFA, but I've noticed that SBRs can be very loud, maybe even dangerously loud. Foresight, safety and due care for people located in the vicinity of ranges would have suppressors off the list too.

Just saying.
Supposedly the reason for regulating short-barreled rifles was to keep "concealable" firearms out of the hands of miscreants. I have never considered a suppressor to be something that makes a firearm more concealable.
Jeepaholic
Old January 28, 2023, 02:18 AM   #304
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I have never considered a suppressor to be something that makes a firearm more concealable.
Think Great Depression and silent poaching....

Or such was the stated reason back then, also silent murder, but then, that ignores bows and knives and clubs and rocks and everything else that can kill without noise...

I am given to understand that there are parts of Europe where "silencers" are required, for hunting.

I don't think the NFA was ever about common sense, or protecting the people. But that's just my personal opinion.
Old January 28, 2023, 07:09 AM   #305
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Think Great Depression and silent poaching.
Here in Georgia, we got a law passed about a decade ago to allow silencers while hunting. The biggest opposition came from a group of hunters concerned about poaching. We had a bit of a hurdle explaining there was a big difference between a poacher using an illegal improvised silencer and a law-abiding person using a registered silencer.
Old January 28, 2023, 09:23 AM   #306
zeke

Suppressor's are legal to hunt with in Wi, at least last time i checked. Farmers are more inclined to allow you to use their depredation permits if you use a suppressor. Use of a suppressor allows me to use range outside of normal hours, as the limited noise does not bother the neighbors. They are not very concealable, and appear to be very rarely used in crimes.
Old January 28, 2023, 09:30 AM   #307
stagpanther

Works the same way in France--farms often are within the town limits and maximum effort is used to not disturb the landowners (usually). Interestingly, driving game often is the preferred way of hunting.