The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 29, 2022, 10:06 AM   #1
Classic12

Norinco M14 tanker

Almost five years ago I bought a Norinco M305, brand new, still full of Chinese cosmoline. It was a chore to clean

I proceeded to DMR it with an Archangel stock, CASM scope mount and Vortex scope and a Magpul bipod as well as some internal upgrades.

Good experience, taught me quite a bit about this platform.

Now LGS had this short barrel Norinco M14 with a (poorly) home painted synthetic stock with a sling and three mags, which I took home for $ 700

I understand this is the US importer, China Jin Ahn, Southfield Michigan.

Old December 29, 2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Classic12

Gave it a quick function test at the 50 m indoor range

I put the wooden stock on it for now. I might have the synthetic stock repainted professionally, maybe a camo pattern

The Norinco pair

Old December 29, 2022, 10:42 AM   #3
SR420

Nice!

My first two Smith Enterprise M14s were built on pre-ban Norinco receivers... both had 18" barrels.
Old December 29, 2022, 03:03 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Congratulations on another addition to your fine collection!

However, in my opinion, it is not a fine addition to your fine collection.

I don't like the Chinese made M14 copies. My dislike comes from personal experience with 3 of the early ones, and while I'm sure some of their issues got fixed, I don't know that for certain and avoid them as a result.

One gun had "soft" internal parts. Receiver and bolt were ok, but the trigger group parts were "soft" and wore out rapidly. Another one had the op rod spring fail at 500rnds. Metal finish is what I consider substandard, (and apparently still is, as shown in one of your pics) and its not a "made in China" thing as I have Chinese made guns with much better metal finish, one a coach gun that was a budget gun to begin with.

My experience with the Chinese M14s is that, they function, but there's no telling how long. Maybe you get a good one, maybe you don't.

My dissatisfaction with the Norinco M 14s partly stems from my US Army service, and being in the last class of Small Arms Repairman the US Army trained on the M14 rifle. I have one of the early Springfield Armory M1A rifles, made entirely with USGI parts (other then the receiver) and love it dearly. Its just a better gun than any of the Norincos I have seen.

US law requires country of origin and importer's name and location to be marked on the gun. On your Norinco this appears to have been done with an electro-pencil engraver, (not stamped like some of the numbers clearly are) and while it meets the US legal requirement, it just looks cheap and crappy, in my opinion.

It looks to be in decent shape for what it is, but what it is, in my opinion, isn't a fine gun. Of course, I suppose it was never meant to be one, so there you go...Hope yours gives you good service, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.
Old December 29, 2022, 07:01 PM   #5
SR420

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/th...e-m14.1182001/

You get a forged receiver that is closer to USGI than others, you get a forged
1-piece op rod that is equal to TRW USGI, you get a trigger group that is
equal to USGI and you get chrome lined barrel that is also equal to USGI.

Ron and Andy over at Smith Enterprise are the best M14 armorers to work on your Chinese M14.

Last edited by SR420; December 30, 2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old December 30, 2022, 01:08 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

The marking was done with a dot-peen engraver, not an electric pencil.
Old December 30, 2022, 11:10 AM   #7
44caliberkid

I’m no authority on these by any means, but I do own a Poly Tech, a Clinton AWB era model with 10 round magazine, no bayonet lug and a non-functioning muzzle device. It shoots Privi 308 Match about the same as my Garand at 100 yards.
I thought about having the USGI bolt and a Boyd’s walnut stock done, but decided that money would be better spent on a new Springfield M1A. I don’t shoot the Poly much, just keep it as an example of dumb American feel good legislation.
Last time I checked it looked like Warbird was out of business or at least not taking any new work. Can anyone confirm that?