The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Are you a bullseye shooter?
bullseye only 10 33.33%
20% bullseye 4 13.33%
50% bullseye 8 26.67%
never bullseye 8 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 17, 2022, 04:24 PM   #26
mrray13

Quote:
On the Marine Corps annual pistol qual if three or more holes are touching and there are 'missing' shots the scorer has to assume that the missing shots went through the existing mess of holes. Its not common, but not unusual to see people start to miss the whole target on purpose on the 7 yard line after firing their second pair. (much less common on the 15 and 25).
That’s pretty much what Chuck did, assuming everything “missing” was in the hole..he just didn’t like it. He would say, “more holes, more bleeding.”
Old July 18, 2022, 09:58 PM   #27
Shadow9mm

As a young ish shooter, 35, i would be interested in shooting bullseye. But i dont know much about it or where to get started. I have not actively looked for it, but i have never seen it advertised either.
Old July 19, 2022, 10:11 AM   #28
L. Boscoe

Bullseye shooters only?

Look for the Encyclopedia of Bullseye shooting on the web. It will take you many months if not years to get through all the sources and instructions on that site.
one of these days I will figure out how to do the link thingy
Old October 9, 2022, 12:15 PM   #29
L. Boscoe

You are spot on, Eindecker, BE is a sport that pits you against yourself, rather than a lot of action, you need to be very mindful, a trait that is rare in the
video game world
Old October 9, 2022, 01:32 PM   #30
TunnelRat

I have played my fair share of video games. I hold myself to a fairly strict accuracy standard, frankly stricter than a number of the people I see show up at my range (some of whom are in fact older). I'm not sure video game playing inherently means a person wants to blast away and can't hit the broad side of a barn, but let's roll out those sterotypes regardless. That tendency to immediately judge younger shooters and write them off surely isn't correlated to the reduced participation in bullseye shooting sports.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 9, 2022, 01:41 PM   #31
stuckinthe60s

bullseye is about relaxation and detail. thats me.
todays generation is spray and pray, shootum' up bang bang.
makes one wonder where they get all that money and leads for ammo!
heck 50 rounds lasts me a long time on a Thursday night league shoot!
kids today? 10 seconds.

and fyi, im not being judgemental. I base my observations on fact. I own and run a range.
a different mindset exists. mindsets are the result of inputs. and where do most inputs today come from?

heck, ask a kid to get some stone and smoke his sights and he just looks at you.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old October 9, 2022, 02:47 PM   #32
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
mindsets are the result of inputs. and where do most inputs today come from?

I’m not sure, where do they come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 9, 2022, 05:54 PM   #33
stuckinthe60s

their peers and the net.
where it use to be parents and a solid social foundation.
Old October 9, 2022, 07:04 PM   #34
TunnelRat

Survey: Bullseye shooters only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
their peers and the net.
where it use to be parents and a solid social foundation.

I hear you. Going to the net to interact with people of similar ages and interests is problematic. I can’t imagine people doing that and finding it productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 11, 2022, 05:55 PM   #35
Rob228

It appears as if we have just hit the point in this discussion where the lack of new entrants into bullseye is due to bad parenting.

Yet again the bullseye crowd isn't doing itself any favors. There are other disciplines of shooting and they are every bit as challenging.
Old March 4, 2023, 06:13 PM   #36
ChuteTheMall

Although I believe a well-rounded shooter practices a variety of disciplines, it's hard to convince an action shooter that a slow fire requirement of shooting 10 rounds within 10 minutes is useful when 10 seconds is enough.

Bullseye and Cowboy Action Shooting are both "aging out" along with their expensive equipment races which are too far away from EDC carry guns.
Old March 4, 2023, 07:52 PM   #37
saleen322

I started out competition shooting in pistol silhouette, iron sights out to 200 meters. It was later that I tried Conventional (Bullseye, now Precision) and was mid pack in performance right at the start. I improved and got a chance to shoot some international; free pistol, standard, air, and center fire. Bullseye was tough and international was harder but if you give it an honest effort, it makes you a lot better shooter.

I have shot some PPC and did well because Bullseye, Silhouette, and International teach good fundamentals. I did have people who never did it say in Free pistol that a minute per shot is too long but I have yet to see any of the same people put on a clinic to show me how it is done.
Old March 5, 2023, 02:16 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

I shoot bullseye TARGETS, but I don't compete in any Bullseye shooting matches. Does that make me a bullseye shooter, or not?

One of my favorite "games" was shooting the 200yd gong on the rifle range. Standing, one handed, left hand in left hip pocket. (lit Marlboro dangling from corner of mouth optional...)

Looking into Cowboy shooting, didn't care for it. Powderpuff ammo, hits anywhere on targets at ranges I could spit and hit, all counted the same, and too many silly rules, that eventually went from just annoying to really irritating for me. Never minded the dress up part, that much, but not really for me...

Gave up all the "combat" type games around 40 years ago, I was a soldier, and young, once, but never a cop, never going to be one, and playing the run, dodge, & jump combined with pistol shooting, for speed just wasn't fun for me.

(also never liked being told when I HAD to reload my gun)

Lots of people shoot and practice shooting for the competition of matches. I don't. I shoot for my own personal recreation and the only person I compete against is me.

If you enjoy playing a certain shooting game, PLAY IT! And don't let anyone talk you out of that. But isn't the point to enjoy it?? IF you don't, why bother??
Old March 22, 2023, 06:45 AM   #39
stuckinthe60s

spray and pray has replaced accuracy and concentration when it comes to pistols.

yet, there are more people in this world wanting to act like snipers than infantry when it comes to rifles.

strange observation.
Old March 22, 2023, 01:22 PM   #40
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
yet, there are more people in this world wanting to act like snipers than infantry when it comes to rifles.
well, duh! Infantry gets shot at!

Look at popular entertainment. Movies, TV, games...if you've got a rifle, you're a sniper. Anything else and you're John Wick (or Neo, )
Old March 23, 2023, 01:36 PM   #41
stuckinthe60s

at a public range?
Old March 24, 2023, 07:37 AM   #42
darkgael

I have been a Bullseye/Conventional/Precision pistol shooter since I first picked up a pistol (quite a while ago now). A bad spine nowadays has put a stop to 2700 matches but i still try my hand at gallery matches.
What I like about Bullseye is its unforgiving emphasis on precision and, thus, on fundamentals. Watching a master shooter on the 50 yard line at Camp Perry is a magical, and yet, humbling experience.
I am not a great shot, not at all, but I am better at any distance than anyone I have seen at the local range over the last few years. I go with one box of 50 rounds for the 1911 and another for the .22. I rarely shoot through both boxes. The other fellows are pumping out box after box of 9s. They are having fun which is part of why we are all there. It does seem to me, though, that they could be better shooters if they would just slow down a bit, move the targets a bit further away and pay a bit more attention to basics.
Perhaps I am too critical of how others do things that I enjoy. I wonder….
Old March 24, 2023, 10:40 AM   #43
stuckinthe60s

good post ,darkgael.
Old March 24, 2023, 01:15 PM   #44
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It does seem to me, though, that they could be better shooters if they would just slow down a bit, move the targets a bit further away and pay a bit more attention to basics.
From what I've seen at the range, I've concluded that the vast majority of pistol shooters never beat the flinch and so they really have no chance at shooting decent groups.

If someone could wave a magic wand and instantly, globally eliminate the propensity to flinch when shooting a pistol, I think that maybe 80-90% of pistol shooters would be absolutely astounded at the improvement in their shooting the next time they went to the range.
Old March 27, 2023, 11:58 AM   #45
stinkeypete

Cowboy Action Shooting used to have some elements of distance shooting that required.. you know.. actually aiming. They took that out because people like blasting away as fast as they can. MEH. I have no interest in that sillyness. A cowboy should be able to shoot the gun out of Black Bart's hand at 50 feet.
Old March 29, 2023, 08:32 AM   #46
Unclenick
Staff

One point missing from the discussion is that a lot of police and military training as well as police and military shooting competitions were bull's-eye shooting long ago. Interest in bull's-eye seems to have faded as public sector training began to abandon it.

I also think bull's-eye matches lost out to IPSC and the like for several other reasons. One is IPSC match prize money greatly outstrips prizes offered at bull's-eye matches. Another is IPSC began to show up on TV occasionally. At the same time, cowboys and other one-hand shooters were becoming less dominant in entertainment. Police procedurals became more prominent, and you saw police characters in movies and on TV change to two-handed handgun shooting.

I don't think it's news that the public copies what they see in entertainment media, even though a lot of it is only a director's or writer's idea of how trained public sector employees handle guns and is often unrealistic. It still appeals to people's fantasies. Anyway, I think the shift in popularity is about monkey-see-monkey-do more than anything else. As further evidence of that, there are still temporary upsurges in entry-level target and clay bird shooting when they are lucky enough to get a little bit of coverage during the Olympics.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 29, 2023, 04:43 PM   #47
L. Boscoe

One thing I hate about shooters copying the TV shows is the fascination with lots of shots fired with no idea where in the hell they are going. Never mind the hilarious firing at the bad guy 6 feet, not yards, away ten times and missing.
Old March 29, 2023, 08:39 PM   #48
stuckinthe60s

bullseye was about being respected by peers.
anything else is about how much one can stuff in his pockets.
being respected and getting a pat on the back was all a bullseye shooter strove for.
all these 'games' played with guns is about crushing oppositon with high tech, top notch gizmo guns, designed to distance ones self from the less fortunate.

bullseye was about perfected talent over time. now its about who has the latest and best science and techno gizmo to make one achieve a goal in the least amount of time.

just my observations as an old guy whos been around the gun games a while.
Old March 29, 2023, 09:05 PM   #49
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s
all these 'games' played with guns is about crushing oppositon with high tech, top notch gizmo guns, designed to distance ones self from the less fortunate.

bullseye was about perfected talent over time. now its about who has the latest and best science and techno gizmo to make one achieve a goal in the least amount of time.
The divisions are separated by the equipment being used. You can still compete in iron sight only divisions. It isn't quite the poor versus the rich situation you're making it out to be. Hell, Nils Jonasson is winning championships shooting a Canik, which is nowhere near as expensive as some of the options out there. Meanwhile I have friends that spent more on individual iron sighted competition pistols than I have invested in pistol and optic combined.

On a lighter note, your name seems well chosen.