The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 27, 2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Oldjarhead

Parkerized government size 1911

Looking for a hopefully new, parkerized 1911A1 government model .45acp with complete GI specs. I mean with wide hammer spur, and double diamond wood grips.i have looked online, but with so many 1911s being made, it is hard to choose a good company, I know nothing about. Anyone own or know of a company that makes a good one, please help. Thanks.
Old June 27, 2018, 02:35 PM   #2
RickB

When double diamond grips were in use, M1911s were blued.
By the time M1911A1s were being made in quantity, the finish had changed to Parkerizing and grips had changed to plastic.

The best of the reasonably priced M1911A1 reproductions - parkerized - is the now discontinued Springfield G.I.
Among new production, Auto Ordnance has the most accurate appearance.

If you want a WWI-style pistol, blued with wood grips, there isn't much available new.
Colt was making a lot of commemorative pistols in 2011, and some of them have become reasonably priced.
There's a couple of guns made in the Philippines that have a kinda/sorta accurate appearance, but not close enough that I'd be satisfied with one if I were looking for a period replica.

Last edited by RickB; June 27, 2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old June 27, 2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Agree with Rick, but peacetime blue 1911A1s with full checkered walnut grips are good looking.

The AO is probably the most WWII GI looking gun in current production, that or the Inland which may well be the same gun with different trademark. A wide spur early A1 hammer will be a good trick, though.

Last edited by Jim Watson; June 27, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old June 27, 2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Brian48

The Kahr WWII repro I had was about as close as I could find when I had it. Of course, if you can score one of those limited Colt custom shop repros, that would be even better.
Old June 27, 2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Brian48

Ah. Just realized I still have a pic of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autoordnance_left.jpg (44.4 KB, 124 views)
Old June 27, 2018, 03:56 PM   #6
polyphemus

AO's are a toss of the dice,they resemble a 1911A1.
Mine was a basket case,granted that was a few years back and I knew what I was getting into but I was not disappointed,every conceivable stoppage,defective parts you name it but it was a project pistol and it runs very well now in fact I was shooting it today,no issues just fine.Good luck anyway whatever your choice.
Old June 27, 2018, 05:30 PM   #7
RickB

A-O has gotten their act together, regarding the accuracy of the appearance, if not the actual shooting aspect.
I bought an A-O frame kit in the early '90s, and while the frame itself is pretty nice, some of the small parts were absolute junk.

Brian48's gun is an older one, with the "flatter" contours to the front strap and dust cover; Springfields made in the '90s have the same shortcoming, appearance wise.

Newer ones are more G.I. in appearance; the easiest way to tell at a glance is to look at the slide stop fit; if it hangs over the edge of the frame above the trigger guard it's an early one.

The consensus is Inland = A-O, and I think the latter is cheaper.
Old June 27, 2018, 05:48 PM   #8
JERRYS.

I guess I'll be the one.....

RIA.
Old June 27, 2018, 05:56 PM   #9
EIGHTYDUECE

The Auto Ordnance and Inland are the only 1911A1s out there that would fit your parameters if you buy new. Below are a few pictures of my Inland 1911A1. The Inland is an Auto Ordnance with different markings IMHO. I did add a real Remington Rand trigger and Keys grips on mine. They come with reproduction plastic grips that still look period. I just had the parts handy so I switched them.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH

Last edited by EIGHTYDUECE; June 27, 2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old June 27, 2018, 06:11 PM   #10
Ibmikey

The posters are right on the money with the Auto Ordnance of current manufacture, the mechanical difference observed when the pistol has been disassembled is a firing pin block. My AO next to my DCM Colt appear to be the same ( other than the double diamond grips on the AO).
RIA Pistols look good except for the “made in Philippines” carved in the frame.

Last edited by Ibmikey; June 30, 2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old June 27, 2018, 06:29 PM   #11
EIGHTYDUECE

The Rock Island Armory (RIA) has some dimensional differences and there will be a few parts to change to make as close to correct as you will get with them. On mine, I had to buy a correct style Auto Ordnance grip safety, thumb safety, mainspring housing and grips. I tell my friends that it is "close enough for government work"

By the time you make the changes, you are already at the same price or above what you would pay just going and buying the Auto Ordnance though.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old June 27, 2018, 07:58 PM   #12
rmocarsky

Norinco

Would the Norinco ''Model of the 1911A1 45 Automatic'' fit the bill?

Rmocarsky
Old June 27, 2018, 08:52 PM   #13
Oldjarhead

Great responses, and great responses. I forgot to ask if are there any series 70s, without that 80s series firing pin block? Sorry. Another senior moment.
Old June 27, 2018, 09:15 PM   #14
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
When double diamond grips were in use, M1911s were blued.
By the time M1911A1s were being made in quantity, the finish had changed to Parkerizing and grips had changed to plastic.

The best of the reasonably priced M1911A1 reproductions - parkerized - is the now discontinued Springfield G.I.
Among new production, Auto Ordnance has the most accurate appearance.

If you want a WWI-style pistol, blued with wood grips, there isn't much available new.
Colt was making a lot of commemorative pistols in 2011, and some of them have become reasonably priced.
There's a couple of guns made in the Philippines that have a kinda/sorta accurate appearance, but not close enough that I'd be satisfied with one if I were looking for a period replica.
I've one of the discontinued Springfield GI 1911s. It is superb:

This gun is mostly there, has the correct low profile sights and lanyard loop mainspring housing (albeit with an internal lock system) but has a civilian style enlarged thumb safety and a couple other little thing not entirely correct for a GI gun, but it's very close. I replaced the original grips with USGI plastics for an even closer look. The gear shown, including magazines, is all authentic USGI.
Old June 27, 2018, 11:04 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you want the gun to look, and be, right, forget cheap!!!!

A friend of mine got one of the WW I reproduction 1911s from Turnbull.

All period correct markings, grips, finish, etc. The only difference one can tell from a new condition original is a small marking on the slide with the Turnbull logo (to prevent the gun being fraudulently re-sold as an original)

It wasn't cheap. Go to Turnbull's website and see what they offer, and if any of them is what you're looking for. If so, open your wallet...wide.
Old June 28, 2018, 12:21 AM   #16
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
If you want the gun to look, and be, right, forget cheap!!!!

A friend of mine got one of the WW I reproduction 1911s from Turnbull.

All period correct markings, grips, finish, etc. The only difference one can tell from a new condition original is a small marking on the slide with the Turnbull logo (to prevent the gun being fraudulently re-sold as an original)

It wasn't cheap. Go to Turnbull's website and see what they offer, and if any of them is what you're looking for. If so, open your wallet...wide.
Spoken like a true elitist.

One needn't resort to Doug Turnbull and his multi-thousand dollar guns to get the look and feel of a G.I. 1911... you're simply wrong on this one.
Old June 28, 2018, 07:13 AM   #17
polyphemus

OP is asking for guidance on an M1911A1 replica,parkerized surface.
M1911 models have significant external differences that he might have already considered before making his choice.
Old June 28, 2018, 10:16 AM   #18
RickB

Quote:
Norincos are very close in appearance to wartime M1911A1s, and they are actually closer to military spec than anything available new today, as they do not have any cast or MIM parts.
Not necessarily a knock on those parts, but original specs call for every major component to be a machined forging.

That's why I prefer the Springfield as an easy to get option, as the slide, frame, and barrel are all forged, as well as looking right.
Old June 28, 2018, 12:10 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Spoken like a true elitist.
that seems a bit...harsh..to me...

Quote:
One needn't resort to Doug Turnbull and his multi-thousand dollar guns to get the look and feel of a G.I. 1911...
No, one doesn't. Nor did I say one had to.

The OP gave his requirements, and then asked this..
Quote:
Anyone own or know of a company that makes a good one, please help. Thanks
No budget or price range was mentioned. I gave an option, that I knew about, and one that no one else had mentioned. How is that elitist??
Old June 28, 2018, 12:55 PM   #20
mr bolo

does the discontinued Springfield GI model have the original sized firing pin? or does it have the smaller .38 Super size firing pin?

will a standard GI firing pin fit in a SA GI M1911A1?

I prefer 100% parts compatible to be considered a good remake of a GI model

the NORINCO is pretty close, except for grip screw bushings thread size
Old June 28, 2018, 01:03 PM   #21
RickB

It sounds like Springfield uses or used the smaller-diameter 9mm/Super firing pin, made from titanium, in conjunction with an extra-extra power firing pin spring, to pass the California drop test without having to resort to a Series 80 or Swartz style firing pin block; pick your poison.

The hole in the breechface would have to be opened slightly to accommodate a .45 firing pin.
Old June 28, 2018, 03:27 PM   #22
polyphemus

Quote:
Problably not.OP is hopeful to obtain a new pistol and Norincos haven't been imported for some fifteen years,well regarded as they are by some it may be hard to find a new one and in that case there is likely a price premium on it.
Old June 28, 2018, 03:46 PM   #23
RickB

If he lives near the Canadian border . . .
Old June 28, 2018, 05:12 PM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
That's why I prefer the Springfield as an easy to get option, as the slide, frame, and barrel are all forged, as well as looking right.
The barrels on the lower-end Springfields (such as the discontinued GI model) are (or were, until long after the GI model had been discontinued) 2-piece barrels. There are photos circulating on the Internet of Springfield 2-piece barrels that have separated into the two pieces.

If I were seeking to buy a clone of a USGI M1911A1 today, I'd buy an Auto-Ordnance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
It sounds like Springfield uses or used the smaller-diameter 9mm/Super firing pin, made from titanium, in conjunction with an extra-extra power firing pin spring, to pass the California drop test without having to resort to a Series 80 or Swartz style firing pin block; pick your poison.
I may be mis-remembering, but I thought Springfield used a proprietary size firing pin that's smaller than a standard .45 firing pin but larger than a standard 9mm/.38 Super firing pin.
Old June 28, 2018, 05:14 PM   #25
RickB

Good call; the Mil-Spec has a one-piece barrel, while the similar, but cheaper, G.I. has a two-piece.
I had a hi-cap G.I., and should have known.