The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2020, 08:59 AM   #1
FizzyP

Buffer for ultralight .308 AR

I'm building an ultralight AR in .308 and need to figure out what buffer would be best for it. I have very little experience with the AR platform and need to understand how to balance an adjustable gas system with a lightweight BCG and choice of buffer. Important facts:

* I'm planning on a doing a lot of reloading, especially softer loads. I'd like to be able replicate 7.62x39. I'd also like to put together a subsonic load.
* I have a detent-adjustable gas block from SLR rifleworks that will let me turn the gas up/down/off. By turning the gas up I assume I'll be able to get the rifle to cycle with lower power ammunition.
* I have a lightweight BCG from JL Billet. It's titanium and weighs 10.5 oz.
* I'd like to be able to shoot full power loads too, and switch between ammo by adjusting the gas block.
* Preferably the buffer is as light as possible, but obviously the goals above + reliability are more important.

I'm hoping with the light BCG and ability to turn down the gas I'll be able to get the job done with a relatively light buffer. Any advice?
Old November 6, 2020, 06:18 PM   #2
xtriggerman

https://ar15discounts.com/search-res...r%20adjustable
Old November 7, 2020, 08:44 AM   #3
FizzyP

Good suggestion. I didn't know those existed.