The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 3, 2023, 10:34 AM   #1
mk70ss

Model 15 S&W Arrived Today

Gun is solid and tight with just the right amount of honest wear.
Old August 3, 2023, 07:41 PM   #2
trophyrider

Looks great!!!! Nice grab.
Old August 3, 2023, 11:31 PM   #3
hammie

@mk70: I noticed that it has two nice touches: Melvin Tyler's T-grips, and a pinned barrel. Congratulations. I never seem to stumble upon such finds.

I know that Mike Irwin, here, thinks that the S&W model 19 is the best combat revolver ever made. I can't argue with his position, but I still prefer the model 15 (combat masterpiece).
Old August 6, 2023, 07:29 PM   #4
DMK

Quote:
I know that Mike Irwin, here, thinks that the S&W model 19 is the best combat revolver ever made. I can't argue with his position, but I still prefer the model 15 (combat masterpiece).
I agree. If I had a model 19, I'd probably never shoot 357s through it anyway.

I love my 4" model 15. It's my favorite revolver.
Old August 6, 2023, 09:50 PM   #5
damienph

Nice 2” model 15. My 4” model 15 is one of my favorite revolvers
Old August 7, 2023, 06:51 PM   #6
Drm50

I recently picked up a really nice “3 m36, same time I could have got a m15 instead. Found I can’t shoot near as well as I could with a 15. I’ve had several 15s but always trade them off.
Never had a 3” 36 so jumped on it as whim.
Old August 8, 2023, 06:30 PM   #7
UncleEd

Looks to be a 3-screw model; dash number?

Diamond stocks look great; numbered to gun? See right panel.
Old August 8, 2023, 06:33 PM   #8
mk70ss

15-2, pinned barrel, stocks number to the gun.
Old August 9, 2023, 05:39 AM   #9
DMK

Quote:
15-2, pinned barrel, stocks number to the gun.
That was a nice find!

I always liked Snubbie K and N frames with adjustable sights. It doesn't make sense for the purpose, but they just look really cool.
Old August 11, 2023, 07:43 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

My primary reason for choosing the Model 19, as opposed to the Models 10, 13, 14, or 15 is because it has adjustable sights and is chambered in .357 Magnum.

That gives it a leg up in overall versatility over the fixed sight 13 or the .38 Special chambered 10, 14, and 15. There are those who consider adjustable sights on a combat revolver to be a detriment, but I'm not one of them.

The truth is that when I carry one of my Model 19s I generally load them with .38 Spl. +P ammo, but I like having the ability to carry full-bore magnums.

That said, under no circumstances would I ever feel poorly or underarmed with any of the Smith & Wesson K frame revolvers chambered in .38 Spl. or .357 Magnum.

The only one I generally wouldn't pick is the Model 12. The Model 12 (I have a 2" barreled one) is a joy to carry because it's so light, but that pays you back in harsher recoil. There's also the problem that most Model 12s have a thinner grip frame, which makes getting better grips a problem (I know people who have resorted to making spacers to fill the gap.

Also, because the Model 12s were generally first generation light-weight aluminum frames, it's not unknown for them to crack with a lot of firing, especially with more powerful defensive ammunition.

OK, all that aside, VERY nice find, Mk. Shows honest, but not a lot, of wear.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 11, 2023, 09:53 PM   #11
bamaranger

Model 15

A 4" M15 was my very first duty gun, issued to me in spring of 1983 in Shenandoah NP. The district ranger opened a ratty old locker inside the caged armory area which containied a couple of heavy barrel M10's and the loan M15. "Which one would you like?" No hesitation, ""I'll take that one."

I removed the walnut sevice grips and added a pair of Pachmeyer large square butts, legal modification. Surprisingly the adujustable sights were bang on with the at the time duty load of 110 gr JHP +P+. With years of service behind it, the action was smooth and slick, but lockup was still tight. Finish was still surprisingly good, it had been well cared for. As far as I could tell, it was the only M15 in the park, I never saw anybody else carrying one in any of the three districts.

I never fully appreciated that revolver at the time .....and would jump at the chance to buy it's equal at a decent price.
Old August 12, 2023, 06:59 AM   #12
amd6547

The old timers were right, when they called the Model 15 “Combat Masterpiece “.
I lucked into a 4” Model 15 during the great police 38 sell off, when the gun show tables were filled with cheap Model 10’s.
I was looking for a Model 10 when I found this Model 15 for $179…
Old August 12, 2023, 07:40 PM   #13
DMK

Quote:
A 4" M15 was my very first duty gun, issued to me in spring of 1983 in Shenandoah NP. The district ranger opened a ratty old locker inside the caged armory area which containied a couple of heavy barrel M10's and the loan M15. "Which one would you like?" No hesitation, ""I'll take that one."

I removed the walnut sevice grips and added a pair of Pachmeyer large square butts, legal modification. Surprisingly the adujustable sights were bang on with the at the time duty load of 110 gr JHP +P+. With years of service behind it, the action was smooth and slick, but lockup was still tight. Finish was still surprisingly good, it had been well cared for. As far as I could tell, it was the only M15 in the park, I never saw anybody else carrying one in any of the three districts.

I never fully appreciated that revolver at the time .....and would jump at the chance to buy it's equal at a decent price.
Did you ever pick up one of your own?
Old August 12, 2023, 07:51 PM   #14
DMK

I picked up my 15-3 at a gun show about maybe 15 years ago. It appears to have been made somewhere between 1972 and 1974 according to the serial number. I don't remember the cost, but I do remember felt good about the deal at the time. It unfortunately had Pachmayr grips when I got it and the originals were lost at some point. The bluing is good with just slight holster wear on the muzzle and front of the cylinders. It's tight otherwise and shoots really nicely. It's my favorite revolver and in the top five of my favorite handguns I've ever owned.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model15.jpg (550.5 KB, 365 views)
Old August 18, 2023, 03:36 PM   #15
Hanshi

I have an M15 S&W and consider it an ideal side-packing carry revolver. Accuracy, weight and handling characteristics are all superb. Over the decades several M15s and M67s have passed through my hands and I can't imagine being without one. It is a superior combat companion that I can count on.

The M10. I've had a heavy barrel now for well over 50 years. I set a police range record with that wonderful revolver. I later modified it for strictly combat service and it is very special to me.
M10

M15