The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 30, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
E.J.W.

renewing pistol permits in N.Y.

Anyone here from Western New York? I caught part of a news cast on the radio this morning talking about our life-time pistol permits coming under some new law requiring them to need yearly renewal. (at a steep cost I'm sure)
I missed the tail end of the news jockey's report.
Does anyone have anything on this?
Thanks
E.
Old April 30, 2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

LOL

Nope, not from NY. It just sounded funny that a lifetime permit would need to be renewed every year. That doesn't sound like the gov is giving you very good odds on living very long.
Old April 30, 2009, 03:43 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

Scuttlebutt...rumors like this come up every year.

Pataki actually mentioned it a few years back but nothing ever came of it.

Still, the state is broke and they are looking for anyway that they can increase revenue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in the near future.

Whoa.....stop the presses!!!

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...tegory=OPINION

Quote:
The bill, sponsored by Assemblywoman Amy Paulin, D-Scarsdale, and Sen. Eric Schneiderman, D-Bronx, would require that pistol permits be renewed every five years, which already is done in New York City and Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester counties. If adopted, the law would require counties to run background checks similar to those done for an initial permit.

Feel free to email the writer at : [email protected]
Old April 30, 2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Ed K

The dem's control state gov. now bills were brought up in house passed and on way to senate and will be passed. I beleive NRA web site has alert about these bills that were just passed thats why it's important we likeminded people get & stick together 300 Million guns in the USA and 4 million members of NRA nowonder why they pass so many anti gun laws across thid troubled country to much complacency
Old April 30, 2009, 05:26 PM   #5
kayakersteve

Yes and no

I live in Chautauqua County and have heard some scuttlbutt about possiby going to a 5 year renewel, but no confirmation on that.

Interestingly my neighbor's wife must have just applied for her pistol permit (CCW) and the sheriff's sent an officer to question me and my wife as to whether we know of any reason she should not get one. They specifically asked about violent tendencies and domestic abuse! The husband is a police officer with a local department. Wonder if this is a new standard or if they know something I don't.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They specifically asked about violent tendencies and domestic abuse! The husband is a police officer with a local department. Wonder if this is a new standard or if they know something I don't.

Interesting. The permit applications in the counties in this area have asked those questions as long as I can remember. This county in particular makes no concession to police officers at all. In fact, even the county deputies must apply for a permit to carry anything other than their duty weapon when off-duty. I'm not even sure that's legal but they make them do it.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:37 PM   #7
kayakersteve

peetzakilla

Do they go to their nieghbors homes to ask these questions?? Seem alwful invasive of privacy to me. Then again, I got my NYS CCW in 1986 and the process was quite effortless.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:13 AM   #8
E.J.W.

kayakersteve & mikejonestkd know their news.
I e-mailed the radio station last night and had a reply this morning. It is in fact another attempt at passing the five year renewal period for handgun permits. I, like kayakersteve got my CCW permit in 1986 also. (can't believe it's been that long) It was quite effortless and cheap compared to what my wife had to pay a few years ago for hers. Mine and her references were only called, I don't recall any in person visits by the local officers.
Thanks again and good shootin'
E.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:29 PM   #9
ltcdoty

I imagine this is just as much about a beaucoup increase in fees,( every five years ), as it is about knee jerk anti-gun reaction.

There is some small hope in the State Senate, the Democrats have only a very slim majority, and several of them from upstate are on the record of supporting pro 2nd ammendment rights and legislation. ...

When I went on the job thirty five years ago, we could buy all our handguns on our badge alone. Did'nt matter what kind, I could walk in and buy it. Trouble was some guys bought pistol on their badge and left the job, so they tightened it up and I have had my permit for thirty years or so.

Even after all the firearms training I had over the years, they still made me take the NRA eight hour course given at a local rod & gun club!
Old May 1, 2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Ed K

See post on this site 13 anti gun bills pass n y senate
Old May 1, 2009, 02:25 PM   #11
yourang?

5 year renewal is a direct result of the binghamton shooter who had
a valid ny state license to carry.....except he had gone to california for
a while and the license should have been voided since he wasnt a
resident of the state

problem is that the 5 year renewal will create a bureaucratic boondoogle
that will basically slow the process to a complete halt

there arent enough clerks to keep up with what is going on now with
all the new applications lately.....add to that the fact that the system
would require dmv type set up with buildings, more clerks, a chat with
a sheriff, judge and probably a shrink to make sure you are still "all there"

in my county there are more than 7000 permits, which would come to
about 1200 a year to renew, which would come to about 100 a month

imagine that mess????!!!! and there are counties that have 70,000
permits in them!!!!

the clerk in my county (who is the only one who does this stuff...when
she is out, there is no one to cover her) said she would quit if they
went to 5 year renewals....not good

it passed the assembly a couple days ago...now goes to the senate
where the democrats are in the majority 32 to 30....hopefully some
will not go for it ....so it wont happen this year....but might in the
next few....

if you are in ny state, contact your state senator and express your
opinion....these guys know that there are lots of gun owners
(democrats too) who vote and their re-election is on the line...

join nyspra scope and the nra too....

the politicians are chipping away little by little...it's only a matter
of time....if we let them.....
Old May 3, 2009, 11:35 PM   #12
Capt_Vin

I just sat through a handgun safety class my daughter took for her pistol permit and during a break, the instructor ( a respected county sheriff) was asked about this and a few other of the new proposed laws and he said for years they (politicians) have been trying to pass laws in NY about renewing permits and so far, hey haven't flown, so not to worry about them yet.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:56 AM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do they go to their nieghbors homes to ask these questions?? Seem alwful invasive of privacy to me. Then again, I got my NYS CCW in 1986 and the process was quite effortless.
No. The only interaction they have with anyone besides the applicant is in the questionnaires they send out to the references who sign the application. They all get a letter with questions about violent tendencies, stability and other character traits. Generally, there is an all encompassing question something like "Is there any reason this person should not be allowed to own a firearm?"
Old May 4, 2009, 11:36 AM   #14
CatskillDraht

Quote:
(politicians) have been trying to pass laws in NY about renewing permits and so far, hey haven't flown, so not to worry about them yet.
Yes, the assembly has been passing crazy stuff for years, but the difference now is that there is probably no one on the Senate side strong enough to stop them, and there is no question that Patterson will sign it if it gets to his desk. To me the amazing thing is that we're all in a budjet crisis, but the cost of these new programs never comes up. Call Call Call, before we lose it all!