The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2019, 03:47 PM   #1
scottycoyote

shotgun for clays?

I know all the standard answers to this "need to go somewhere and try the guns out" "its subjective" etc..........just wanted to get a feel for the shotguns in my budget, say around the $2k mark. Beretta, browning or benelli (or something else)? Go with new, or look for used (browning 725 or get a nice used 525, etc). Would love to get some kind of consensus so I could more easily narrow my search, thanks
Old December 17, 2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Blindstitch

If you're going to spend 2k and those are the brands you're thinking of I don't think you can go wrong. But really it's probably going to be more like car shopping. If you want nice wood get nice wood. If you want shiny get shiny.

I went used and got a Browning Citori for $999 that was 2 years old and was used at a gun club. Some guy gouged the forend with his ring. When I got it I was surprised when they took it in the back and came out with the original box as if it was brand new. I have no regrets and saved $600-700.
Old December 17, 2019, 05:09 PM   #3
ejb69

I like my Benelli Super Sport for sporting clays.
Old December 17, 2019, 05:12 PM   #4
scottycoyote

thanks blindstitch.......i dont really care about wood or condition so much (i mean i want a decentgun for $2k) its more about what people consider the best in those classes of guns. I think most guns would have the kind of features im looking for (at least 30" barrels, extended chokes, easily adjustable for fit, etc) so it comes down to do i get a new beretta model X.....or do people feel the old beretta model Y is the better gun (especially when you factor in the old Y is going to be cheaper than the new X). I kind of consider myself a browning man, but i was recently in cabelas and they had a pretty sweet older used silver pigeon with the adjustable comb on the stock.....trying to get down to a short list of models to start my search
Old December 18, 2019, 07:11 AM   #5
Virginian

Get a gas semi auto or a Browning or Beretta O/U.
Old December 18, 2019, 08:09 AM   #6
eastbank

if you realy get into the clays games, you will spend much more for fee,s-shells than a pretty high end shotgun over the years. I know I have.
Old December 18, 2019, 09:04 AM   #7
FITASC

Yep - My Browning, bought new in 1994, has ~300-350K through it. It needs some tightening up, and if I can get my new-to-me Beretta DT-11 dialed in, the Browning will become a backup.

That said, for MOST folks, if one of those three fits you really well, odds are the others will not - at least not without some form of modification. There are a few browning and Beretta models in your budget but do yourself a favor and try to get a target version over the (usually) less expensive field version. It will be set up for target shooting and it should weigh more. That will help mitigate recoil. Also, if you are 6' or taller look for 30, or even better, 32" barrels - better swing dynamics (and better resale down the road if you want to upgrade). Most target guns will weigh north of 8#; some even north of 9#.
While all that is subjective and up to each individual, you will find that many folks who shoot sporting go for the heavier gun with 32" barrels.

The quest is part of the fun!

Buy once cry once. As Eastbank said, the gun is the LEAST of the expenses involved. Ammo, targets, tournament fees, gas, food, lodging - all will eclipse the cost of the gun in short order so buy quality and go have fun!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 18, 2019, 01:23 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Clays is pretty much target practice for hunting with a shotgun. Far moreso than either skeet or trap.
Doesn't matter what brand of shotgun or action type you buy. You do need to decide upon the action type first. And if the thing is going to be strictly a range gun or for hunting or both.
Oh and 2 grand may be the deciding factor on brand. A lot of Beretta's are far more expensive than that. Some go to 5 figures MSRP. Benelli's and Brownings are less.
"...get a feel for the shotguns in my budget..." Rummage around Cabela's web site for that. https://www.cabelas.com
Old December 18, 2019, 02:37 PM   #9
CockNBama

Your mention of ease of adjustability conflicts, in my view, with your mention of O/U guns. The adjustable comb is limited unless the gun is close to right for you in all parameters.

Don't know what you have now, but I agree with one of the recommendations by Virginian, which is a modern gas auto. I like my Maxus clays gun, and it provides significant adjustability for cast, drop and pull. And there are others, like Beretta and FABARM, which are equally adjustable.

If you keep it and use it, it won't be long before you need a second gun.
Old December 18, 2019, 02:40 PM   #10
thegatman

Beretta O/U 686
Old December 18, 2019, 04:28 PM   #11
scottycoyote

i was leaning towards an o/u i should have specified that. I have a browning maxus semi-auto that i use now.
Old December 18, 2019, 04:51 PM   #12
FITASC

There are clubs in VA - see if any have guns for rent or see if your friends have ones you're interested in and try as many as you can -even ones out of your price range just so you can get an idea of what you like, hate, want, hope for.

Quote:
A lot of Beretta's are far more expensive than that. Some go to 5 figures MSRP.
Yep, my DT-11 is priced right up there - just a tad less than Perazzi, Kreighoff and Kolar

~$11,000; but street is less and slightly used (mine) even better deal.........
The point is IF you find yourself in love with a Caesar Guerini, Blaser or other in the 4-5 K range new; start shopping around for a lightly used one from someone who changed their mind or moved up. That's how I found mine; gun has less than 2000 through it and was less than 6 months old.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 18, 2019, 09:38 PM   #13
CockNBama

See, Scot? You already need the second gun. You can't go wrong with a Beretta 686 SP1 for about $2K.
Old December 19, 2019, 10:26 AM   #14
Ricklin

Fit first

As usual FITASC offers the best advice. The different brands of guns fit differently, for lack of a better description.

Do not choose by brand name, yes choose quality for a long term gun for clays, you will need that build quality to go 100's of thousands of rounds.

It is the fit of the gun to you! The brand is secondary.
Old December 19, 2019, 11:40 AM   #15
pete2

I shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays and a little five stand. I've shot pump gun, Semis, O/U guns. SKB, REm, Ithica, Citori, Win, they are all different. I've shot 3 different SKB guns, 4 different Citoris, a Beretta, even Mossberg. So far my favorites are an old Ithica/SKB Skeet O/U and a 725 Sporting gun. For me the 725 Sporting works pretty well for everything. I also have a 20 ga XS Skeet Citori (this one with adjustable comb)that is a close second. The Citoti target guns are a little heavier than field guns and the stocks are a little longer with less drop. They work better for me. Shoot as many different guns as possible before purchase and don't be surprised if you have to do a little fitting to the gun you finally buy. I have an old 1100 gun that did not fit me at all, stock too short, too much drop. I slip on pad and a 1/8" thick pad on the comb of the stock made all the difference in the world.
Good luck and have fun....................
Old December 22, 2019, 06:04 PM   #16
stuckinthe60s

this is the way you buy a shotgun scotty,

you decide which clay game you want to shoot.
you shoulder all the guns you can until you find one that feels just right and you beads line up.
then you come here and ask those that may already have the one you like.
then you go back and flip the price tag over and look.
then you buy it.
works every time!
price is a moot point when you want a clay shotgun that is perfect.
sometimes you luck out and its less.
sometimes it breaks the bank.

good news...at 2 grand, odds are youll score a good one.
most people want the world served to them on a silver platter for under 400.00.
at least youre in the ball park.
hope it helps.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old December 22, 2019, 07:31 PM   #17
DockRock

So, Brownings (other than the 725 and the Cynergy) and the Italians tend to fit people quite differently. Blazer and Krieghoff seem a little in between. I strongly advise against buying even an entry level gun without trying for fit. A poorly fitting gun will never shoot well.

I would advise in favor of used. $2k doesn't get you much fun new these days, whereas it will put you into a better grade of used Beretta or Browning and maybe even a Guerini or Z-gun.
Old December 27, 2019, 09:43 AM   #18
E.J.W.

Don't forget the fitting...

There's a lot of great info being provided here.
I bought a used Beretta 687 SP3 Sporting from a friend that was leaving the country. I knew the gun was "young" and well cared for. I had also shot this gun prior and it seemed to work well for me. I planned to use it for all three clay games (trap, skeet & sporting) and I'm only a weekend shooter without the bank roll to finance dedicated guns. I was urged by other club members to see a recommended local gunsmith for a professional fitting. I followed their advice and was very pleased with the results. The stock required shortening a bit to accommodate the suggested stock pad adjuster. Once that was set to fit my shoulder pocket angle my scores improved as the gun then shouldered effortlessly each and every time. A fitting was something I was aware of, but thought it was only for the professional shooter and not "just me". I was wrong.
As always - enjoy this sport we all share in.
Thanks
E.
Old January 10, 2020, 07:49 PM   #19
dreaming

Perhaps a little information about yourself and your goals would be helpful. for example.

1. Do you plan on getting into competitive registered shooting or do you just want to go out and have fun now and then.

2. What is your physical condition. I am a senior and am questioning if my Citori XS Skeet is too much lumbar for me to swing.

3. If you have difficulty handling recoil you may want to go with a semi automatic instead of a over/under or a pump.

4. Do you want an all around shooter or something dedicated to a particular game. Skeet, Trap, Five Stand, Sporting Clays, or what?

I think it is better to go used unless you are certain of what you need, unless you have a boatload of money to squander. Then if you don't like it, unload it and try something else.
Old January 13, 2020, 11:15 AM   #20
scottycoyote

Quote:
Perhaps a little information about yourself and your goals would be helpful. for example.

1. Do you plan on getting into competitive registered shooting or do you just want to go out and have fun now and then.

2. What is your physical condition. I am a senior and am questioning if my Citori XS Skeet is too much lumbar for me to swing.

3. If you have difficulty handling recoil you may want to go with a semi automatic instead of a over/under or a pump.

4. Do you want an all around shooter or something dedicated to a particular game. Skeet, Trap, Five Stand, Sporting Clays, or what?

I think it is better to go used unless you are certain of what you need, unless you have a boatload of money to squander. Then if you don't like it, unload it and try something else.
of course......1) i doubt i will ever shoot on any serious level of competition it would mostly be for fun, but i could see myself doing a lot of it relatively speaking

2) in my early 50s and still in reasonably good shape......i dont have issues with recoil

3) i think i would mostly be shooting sporting clays with the occasional skeet or trap round thrown in.

thanks
Old January 13, 2020, 11:29 AM   #21
eastbank

and after all that one day a man with a older pump or other field shotgun will clean your clock and turn around and say whats so hard about this. I know as I,ve seen it and just shake my head. the man I,m talking about here shoots a older field Remington 870 pump with fixed choke and no rib or recoil pad. he shoots 44-46,s at SC,s and get 25-25 at trap quite regularly, I think he was born with that pump.
Old February 6, 2020, 01:20 PM   #22
stuckinthe60s

buy one that has a proven track record over time.
buy classic American iron.
current guns are run of the mill. all flash, no bang.
buy one that will turn heads......
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/16881634
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner