The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2016, 08:14 AM   #1
T_PRO_Z

Eastfield model 916 better than mossberg?!?!?!?!?!

hello all,

I am sorry for the click- bate but I new this shotgun wouldn't get any attention lol. I have an eastfield model 916 and a 916a I picked up yesterday for 120 bucks. the 916 shoots and locks up great and patterns good but the 916a doesn't lock up when the bolt is fully closed. the guy I got it off of said that he shot it and it blew the safety off of it ( id say it fired out of battery). but because I gave very little for them, id like to fix it up and put it under the truck seat to go with my hi-point c9( yes, I have a high point in my truck. ugly as sin, but unstoppable). I was using a Mossberg 500a for the truck gun, but I believe I would rather beat on this one instead of the Mossberg. ( but don't worry, I still have my reliable lc9 that is my main reliable cc gun)

the problem I am having is that you have to hold the pump forward to shoot it, and it is missing the safety. that is all that I can tell that is wrong with it. any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

as for the click- bait... well... its not true.
Old November 15, 2016, 06:47 PM   #2
dgludwig

Do a search on the Eastfield, AKA Noble, shotgun and you'll quickly understand why the Mossberg is by far the better shotgun. Foolishly, I bought a Model 916 many decades ago under the guise Smith & Wesson. What a piece of crap it proved to be. I thought maybe I got a lemon but I've read way too many bad reviews since to think that mine was an exception to the ugly rule.
Old November 15, 2016, 11:57 PM   #3
kozak6

A quick google suggests that the Eastman 916 series (same as the Noble and S&W of the same model number) ...isn't a terribly good shotgun.

Google suggests that the out of battery firing is caused by the slide release, which can be bent during disassembly, vigorous pumping (!!!), or otherwise worn out.

Numrich has parts. Good luck.
Old November 16, 2016, 09:36 AM   #4
tangolima

Now this one has tilting bolt locked to recess in the frame. It is generally considered of inferior quality. No idea why s&w was willing to add this pile of junk under their name when they purchased the parts from the bankrupt noble.

If you need to hold firearm forward to fire the gun, you should not pull the trigger. The gun is a goner already. Don't let it drag you along.

You did well with the Winchester, but not this one.

-TL
Old November 17, 2016, 08:49 AM   #5
T_PRO_Z

i ended up taking 2 turkeys with the 619. i believe will hold onto them just for beaters. 120$ for 2 shootable guns, id take it just to beat them to death. i might torture test them for fun.

on another note, what is this tilting bolt lock? is it designed to be held forward? this concept is new to me lol.
Old November 17, 2016, 10:23 AM   #6
tangolima

Rotating bolt versus tilting bolt.

In former case, the bolt has bolt head that rotates to lock into recesses in the barrel extension, as in ar15. The bolt body itself doesn't rotate.

In the latter case, a locking block inside the bolt tilts up to lock into recesses, either in the frame or in the barrel extension. Most cases the bolt body doesn't tilt. Most traditional designs have the lock recess in the frame, and newer designs in the barrel extension.

-TL
Old November 17, 2016, 01:16 PM   #7
dreaming

Why would you have both one reliable and one reliable truck gun? If you want it for defense, the one you chose to use had better be reliable since you may not get a chance to switch to the other.
Old November 17, 2016, 01:32 PM   #8
T_PRO_Z

that is true, but i cant bring myself to abuse any of my nicer shotguns, rifles, or pistols. i should, but i couldn't do it.