The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 12, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Greenwood

AR-180B

I've had several AK's (still have a Galil), several AR-15's, and a few AR-180's. Not too long ago I picked up an AR-180B and love it due to its being clean piston driven, using many easily available AR-15 parts, being accurate, reliable and being able to add a folding stock. Other than my Galil, it is my favorite semi-auto of the group listed.
The other day I was talking to a gun shop retailer and he said that the AR-180B is very hard to sell. Anyone have a clue as to why that would be the case?
Old November 12, 2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Crow Hunter

Plastic lower, and no rails, and few if any accessories.

Most people don't like plastic lowers on rifles

Most people like to add doodads/optics to their guns.

Also, the last 11 years haven't been showing the AR-180B figured prominently on every nightly news cast.

Good luck.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
SPEMack618

I would say your average semi-automatic rifle consumer is going to want something that he or she has either used in the military, wants something to hunt hogs or varmits with, a modular rifle they can modify for whatever purpose they desire, or something like they saw on a video game. The
AR-180B doesn't radily lend itself to those missions, despite being what I consider a fine piece.

I think they're cool because that's what's they trained with on the pilot epsidoe of SWAT.
Old November 13, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Anyone have a clue as to why that would be the case?
Might be the fact that Armalite doesn't cover hinge breakage under warranty.

And they don't make them anymore. I don't think they had much enthusiasm for them when they did. (Armalite has a vendor table at our club's open house most years, to show off their wares. I've not seen them bring an AR-180.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 16, 2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Bart Noir

Quote:
I think they're cool because that's what's they trained with on the pilot episode of SWAT.
That old show?? Those would have been the AR-180 back when before the metal lower. So not an AR-180B. But you get points for even remembering that show.

Bart Noir
Old November 16, 2012, 08:03 PM   #6
SPEMack618

Oh, didn't realize the difference, but yes SWAT. Found it on Hulu and watched every season.