The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 29, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1
ZVP

Uberti Cattleman Hombre?

I think I want one!
This is the most basic model of the Cattleman but other than a Brass backstrap and a dull finish, I don't see any differences between it and the shiney Cattalemen post-war model...
Is this the same action as the Cattleman?
Pretty reliable?
Can the Ubertis handle a steady diet of Cowboy & BP loads?
ZVP
Old July 29, 2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Crunchy Frog

The answers to your questions are:

Yes;
Yes; and
Yes.

I saw a photo of an Hombre that the owner had polished leaving an interesting antiqued finish.

A friend bought a pair recently; we traded revolvers for a couple of stages in a SASS match. The flat black finish works great for the sights.
Old July 29, 2011, 09:53 PM   #3
arcticap

I thought that I wanted one too, but then I woke up!
So I'm just going to hold out for a while longer to see what else pops up that I like better.
I missed out on a pair of USFA Rodeos in .38 Special that were on consignment for a steal. I keep wishing for them to be returned to the shop but as of yet no such luck! And they were mint too! But there's always that high polished stainless steel Vaquaro .44 Magnum with the white Ruger grips...

Last edited by arcticap; July 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old July 29, 2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Rol45

I have one that I refinished look at the post here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457425

when I got mine I hated the finish so I turned it into a project gun

I'm in the process of changing he bs\tg with unfinished steel and will put a stag grip on it at some point ,
there is a guy on gunbroker.com that has a slew of them brand new for $250 in 45lc
Old July 29, 2011, 10:12 PM   #5
arcticap

But by the time that one pays for the shipping and transfer, they're not much cheaper than other used models that may be available locally that hardly have any wear on them.
There's a lot of used guns on the market right now that are a good value.
And most don't usually have brass grip frames.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Rol45

Hombre total cost

it was $250 on gunbroker , 20$ shipping and $20 xfer so $290 brand new,
the cheapest used I have seen around here for uberti SAA types was in the $350ish range so I came out just fine I think
Old July 30, 2011, 04:46 PM   #7
OutlawJoseyWales

I bought 2 of them in .357/.38, I thought they were a great deal. I've not been able to come close to that anywhere else.
Actually 2 of them wasn't that far away from 1 at the prices I've seen.

just my worthless .02 though.
Fine little pistols. OJW
Old July 30, 2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Newton24b

*But by the time that one pays for the shipping and transfer, they're not much cheaper than other used models that may be available locally that hardly have any wear on them.
There's a lot of used guns on the market right now that are a good value.
And most don't usually have brass grip frames. *

whats so bad about paying the same price for a brand new gun that you may pay for a used gun? seriously? a gun is an investment and i have no idea what you used in it.

would you pay 30,000 for a ferrari that costs 1 million just because the engine sounded funny? its almost just as good as new..
Old July 30, 2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Hellgate

I'm with Josey Wales. One of them bound up quickly with BP but a very few strokes with a very fine toothed file took a couple of high spots off the back of the barrel and it's fine now. They have nice, tight gaps. It was a deal I couldn't let go. Regular Cattlemen are a lot more. I did the same years ago with the Uberti 1858s and they are the same quality inside and they don't glare in the sun.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 30, 2011, 10:25 PM   #10
ZVP

Sounds like a good buy to me!

OK, you guys convinced me, the Hombre is a good gun!
I don't need the bluing as much as I "want" a .45, this is a cheap way to get into the caliber.
I'll mostly shoot Smokeless new and reloaded ammo, but the possibility of shooting BP factory
cartriges is neat too!
Origonally I'd planned on getting a second Vaquero but in .45 however lack of funding changed my choices a little.
So a Uberti .45, Ruger .357 pair looks like what it'll be...
Thanks a lot guys!
ZVP
Old July 30, 2011, 11:34 PM   #11
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton24b
whats so bad about paying the same price for a brand new gun that you may pay for a used gun? seriously? a gun is an investment and i have no idea what you used in it.

would you pay 30,000 for a ferrari that costs 1 million just because the engine sounded funny? its almost just as good as new..
Why do folks buy a brand new model if they don't like the way that it looks or what the grip frame is made from right out of the box?
I understand that some folks want to customize the appearance or antique their guns, but not do it just because they otherwsie can't stand the way it looks. They bought a brand new gun but don't even like it enough as it is?
I guess my point is that maybe an Hombre Millenium isn't for everyone. And I see that some folks buy them for the low price even though they're not thrilled with them, and will then end up spending more money & time to fix them up just to make them more palatable somehow.

Last edited by arcticap; July 31, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 07:07 AM   #12
zullo74

You answered your own question.
Old July 31, 2011, 12:17 PM   #13
hanleyfan

I bought 2 of them, I like the black finish but the best selling point was They fit in the hand and point so naturally for me more so than any ruger I have owned. The balance and feel of the gun for me is the best selling point, plus they shoot great. I don't plan to shoot any high power loads so this is a very good buy for me. You guys must be lucky to find used guns that cheap, even used ruger run around 400.00 and up.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:30 PM   #14
arcticap

I think that they look pretty handsome but I've never bought a center fire revolver having a brass grip frame. Even considering the price, a brass grip frame wouldn't be my first choice.
And the Cattleman's having a steel grip frame aren't being offered at similar low prices which opens up a whole range of model choices.
Besides that, there was a question about why the cylinder of one Hombre purchased by someone here wasn't beveled when the others were. So if someone else orders one, will they receive a beveled one or not?

Last edited by arcticap; July 31, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:40 PM   #15
Hawg

I think he was confused between beveled and chamfered.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:45 PM   #16
arcticap

Quote:
I think he was confused between beveled and chamfered.
Yes maybe.
It was the outside edge of the cylinder where it can rub and get hung up during holstering.
Old July 31, 2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Rol45

Quote:
Why do folks buy a brand new model if they don't like the way that it looks or what the grip frame is made from right out of the box?
I understand that some folks want to customize the appearance or antique their guns, but not do it just because they otherwsie can't stand the way it looks. They bought a brand new gun but don't even like it enough as it is?
I guess my point is that maybe an Hombre Millenium isn't for everyone. And I see that some folks buy them for the low price even though they're not thrilled with them, and will then end up spending more money & time to fix them up just to make them more palatable somehow.
because they like to? because now that gun was done by me not by someone else or the factory? , because it's a fun thing to do ?
Old August 1, 2011, 12:10 PM   #18
Hellgate

Mine have beveled cylinder fronts but other edges are quite sharp.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 1, 2011, 08:31 PM   #19
ZVP

I just want a good shootin .45!
I am on a budget and the price of the Hombre fits me.
I sorta like the brass gripframe since owning a .36 cal Sheriff's Navy Model. They polish up very pretty and the flat Black will be offset by the shiney Brass.
I like the 4 5/8" barrel length best!
Everything about the Hombre fits what I want, now I just need to find one.
ZVP
Old August 1, 2011, 10:41 PM   #20
Bill Akins

Quote:
ZVP wrote:
Everything about the Hombre fits what I want, now I just need to find one
Here you go ZVP. This link is to the folks who are selling them on Gunbroker as well as from their store for $250.00.....which you will not find cheaper anywhere else because they bought many hundreds of them and are making it up on quantity sales while selling them for an unbelievable low price of $250.00

http://tannerssportcenter.com/

Although they also sell them on Gunbroker, you can order straight from their store and save them the GB commission fees and I'm sure they would appreciate that. Which is what I did. By the way, Ray Tanner the owner is a member at this forum.

It was a no brainer for me. I bought two of them in the 4 & 5/8ths barrel length in .45 Colt caliber. They are quality well made and fully lived up to my expectations.

Like you I also like the brass grip strap and trigger guard. The frame being steel is the important part. There is no real stress put upon the grip strap and trigger guard that it can't handle being made of brass. Plus like you, I also like it because it can be shined up. Just a few minutes on a buffing wheel will take that matte finish off the brass and polish it mirror bright. Like you I also like how the brass contrasts with the matte black finish on the rest of the revolver.

I love both of mine. Get one....you won't be sorry and even if you were, you could sell it for what you paid for it in a heartbeat. Perhaps even a bit more.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 1, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old August 4, 2011, 07:44 AM   #21
Stephanie B

NY requires the dealers to collect sales tax on transfers. So by the time I pay shipping, the transfer fee and the sales tax, that $250 revolver is in the $330 range.

I don't need one. But I'd like to have one. Cash has been tight recently, so I guess I can resist.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:01 AM   #22
zullo74

Is that sales tax in NY on the transfer fee or the gun price?
If on the gun price, well that is just unfair and wrong, as you don't pay the NY dealer for the gun, only the transfer!
Old August 4, 2011, 11:59 AM   #23
Stephanie B

Almost all states want people to pay a "use tax" on out of state purchases for anything brought into the state. A lot of state income tax returns have a line for this.

In reality, hardly anyone pays those taxes and it is too much of a bother for the states to go after individuals for the tax. But when an item passes through a retailer's hands, and most FFLs are retailers to some degree, the state demands that the tax be collected and if you don't pay it, they may make the FFL pay it.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:50 PM   #24
Rachen

With that extra long barrel, your black powder loads are going to get the cleanest and utmost burn when traveling through that thing.

As fellow member Darkerx mentioned in another thread, he got over 700 foot pounds of energy with his 1858 Cattleman shooting a standard cap and ball charge.

Powder types are different, and some, like my homemade "Coconut Powder" is pretty potent, so is Pyrodex P without bad-hair day. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...light=homemade

In all conditions, if you are using .45 LC black powder handloads which already shoots at the 900-1000 FPS range in a standard 5 inch or 8 inch barreled handgun, you are going to get velocities up to 1300-1500 or even higher in that carbine, both the SAA and Cattleman.

So in the end, you have an accurate and extremely light and manueverable weapon which delivers a payload that is about as powerful as a service 5.56x45 NATO/.223 Rem. cartridge. And the soft lead round nose or flatpoints you are shooting definitely packs more in the stopping power department.

Last edited by Rachen; August 4, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old August 4, 2011, 03:32 PM   #25
Hardcase

Quote:
Is that sales tax in NY on the transfer fee or the gun price?
If on the gun price, well that is just unfair and wrong, as you don't pay the NY dealer for the gun, only the transfer!
It depends upon who you're paying for the gun. If you send a check off to the seller of the gun, then pay the dealer his transfer fee, then the transfer fee should be what gets taxed. If the transferring dealer pays the seller for the gun, then you pay the dealer, the whole smack gets taxed.

At least that's how it works in my neck of the woods, a couple of thousand miles from New York. Of course, New York has taken quite a leadership role in the collection of sales tax on out of state sales, so I suppose that it's quite possible that they've come up with some novel rule that puts a fly in the ointment.