The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 26, 2013, 04:55 PM   #26
indy1919

Per Bonanzas date, Just saw one of the later episodes where Little Joe gets hurt (Yeah like that did not happen every other show).. But he had a bill of sale on him for some horses that he just sold and it was dated 1868 or 69 so everyone in that show should all be toting cap and balls or conversions at the best
Old February 27, 2013, 04:26 PM   #27
5THBATT

Indy1919, I sold the trapdoor a few years back, cant find any details I may have noted, all I can tell you is it was a shooter & a cutdown rifle, I brought it at Ted Rodgers Militaria auction held in Wellington NZ a couple of times a year.
Sorry cant be more help.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:49 PM   #28
Rainbow Demon

I remember an old Gunsmoke episode where a young man came after Matt Dillion with the pistol his dad had carried before Matt shot him.

The pistol was a Patterson. This was long before any replica Pattersons were manufactured, so it had to be the real deal.
Another rare pistol I've seen in an old western TV series ( don't remember which program) was a Walch twelve shooter.
This odd Cap & Ball revolver used stacked loads, two loads per chamber with six chambers. The hammer was actually two side by side hammers. One nipple feed directly into a chamber while the other sent its flash down a tunnel on the exterior of the chamber to fire the top load.
The cylinder was fairly long, but powder space for each round was still limited.
The pistol resembled a Colt 1851.

I suppose at least some of the executives or A list actors in these series had serious gun collections, or knew wealthy fans that would loan out these rare fire arms.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:03 AM   #29
indy1919

Now that you say that Rainbow, you sparked a memory, there was one of the 1/2" hour Marshal Dillon episodes. The stars were in the General store talking, and on the counter there was a board with 4 or 5 hand guns on display. Under each gun there was a 3x5 card with small printing on them. And the board looked more like it was museum display then a sales display.

And the guns were a nice varied gun collection

So you may be right there may have been some type of gun collection used in some of the background guns..

Last edited by indy1919; March 2, 2013 at 03:03 PM.