The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 4, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1
dylanf55

eastern oregon

Has anyone hunted eastern oregon for elk or mule deer?? im asking for any honey holes and but just would like some advise on which unit to select.. my buddy said his dad has had alot of luck with the imnaha unit(we dont have much for points).

Thanks , Dylan
Old February 5, 2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Buzzcook

It's been many years since I hunted in Oregon. We used to go to the Blue Mountain area around La Grande and North.

I had in-laws that said the area North and East of Lake View was very good.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Geezerbiker

I know some guys that hunt up that way. For me it's too much time and money for deer hunting... One thing I can recommend is use a rife with up to a 300 yard range and practice at least 200 yards. You can see an awful long way up in those mountains.

Tony
Old February 5, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
dylanf55

ok ya i think im gonna do some more research and i hope the new sako a7 should be able to make it out to 300 no problem... thanks alot guys for the replies
Old February 5, 2013, 03:59 PM   #5
jasmith85

I have never hunted in Oregon but I work for the company that tags their animals in over the phone and from my experience I wouldn't recommend hunting there. I doubt one out of ten people that call in actually killed something and even if you didn't kill something you are still required to check in and say you didn't kill anything or you get fined. Maybe thats normal in some states but here in Tennessee if you didn't kill anything you don't have to check in.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Scorch

I used to hunt in the Beulah and Castle Rock units. Lots of private land mixed in with buttes and rimrocks. The Steen Mountain unit is good too, lots of deer but hard to hunt. If you are looking for an easier hunt, the area southwest of Brothers is pretty good, lots of antelope in that area that will keep you on your toes. Wagonwheel and Glass Mountaincan be good after snow drives the bucks down low.