The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 18, 2001, 01:47 AM   #1
tim21

Hi, I live in San Francisco. I recently purchased a Remington 700 PSS. Can anyone recommend a decent range that is close to San Francisco so I can practice my shooting? Thanks in advance.
Old February 20, 2001, 12:48 AM   #2
Guy B. Meredith

Probably the nicest target range you will ever see is the Chabot range in Castro Valley. Check out the pictures, prices and schedules at http://www.chabotgunclub.com. I shoot there and sometimes work the public line as Range Safety Officer.

Also check out the "How NOT to get yelled at" section as we run a very safe (strict) range. It is a very helpful idea to ask the range people to work with you for a while to help you get oriented as we see too many people to keep track of who is new and who is in the know.
Old February 21, 2001, 06:02 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Richmond Rod & Gun Club is 10 miles closer and you don't have to wander through the hills to find it either. They have 200 yards, but you must be a club member. Only used it once and they really weren't set up for prone shooting.

Also w/in driving distance to SF is the Optomist Club in San Leandro. From the Bay Bridge, take 680 south towards San Jose/Fremont. In San Leandro, take the Davis St. offramp and head west. Past to Costco and right before the recycling center (dump), you'll see a chain link fenced in area which is the gun club. It's only 22 miles from SF.

If you want to shoot 200 yards, you can also go to the Livermore-Pleasanton Rod & Gun Club. Cross the bridge and take 580 towards Livermore-Pleasanton. In Livermore, take the N. Livermore exit and turn left (NB). Continue on N. Livermore until you reach May School road on your right. Take May School and it will lead you all the way to the club. Distance is about 50 miles from SF.

There's also a range in Los Altos, but I haven't been there yet. Maybe member Chink can give you directions for that.

Up in Marin there's the Circle S Ranch, but I don't remember how to get there.
Old February 21, 2001, 07:56 AM   #4
chink

Los Altos Rod and Gun Club is off of Skyline Blvd. the easier way to get there from SF is
280 S
exit 85 S towards Gilroy
Exit Saratoga Ave. make a left toward downtown Saratoga
the will put you on Highway 9 and Highway night hits SKyline make a left and you will find it on your right.

Hope that makes sense. But it is a bit of a drive from SF. I would say 1 1/2 hours. Its a nice place, not really set up for prone shooting either. longest rnage is 100 yrds. but they have tin can alley.

also, about 20 minutes closer is the Sunnyvale Gun and Rod club in Cupertino. 280 s exit Foothill Express way and make a right. you will see it on your right hand side just as you pull up to the quarry and the resevior. not as many shooting stations as Los Altos, but you can shoot prone. and the variable target distances. No tin can alley.

hope those directions help
Old February 21, 2001, 11:53 AM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

Actually I am a member of three clubs; Chabot, USI in Concord and the Richmond Rod and Gun. I believe the 200 yard range at each club is for members only.

Richmond is where I spend most of my time as we are putting together a revolver only interest group, the Richmond Hot Wheels, affiliated with ICORE. Richmond probably has some of the best action shooters in the area, including Rudi Waldinger, who placed third in the last International Revolver Championship. Their public range is not elaborate, but is adequate.

USI is where I learned IPSC style shooting and has nice action pistol and fairly nice sheltered civilian target ranges. No prone shooting except on the 200 yard multipurpose range. USI has great shotgun facilities.

As to attractive surrounding scenery and general facilities Chabot wins hands down. Chabot is primarily a civilian target range, has roughly 75 sheltered lanes split between 100, 50, 25, 20, 15 and 7 yards. Two additional sheltered ranges with approximately 35 lanes each are rented out to groups (PPC, IPSC, IDPA, Cowboy) and Law Enforcement. Shotgun facilites are limited.

The ranges can get very cold as it is sheltered from the sun in the winter by a beautiful eucalyptus forest.

Chabot allows all positions, at least on the rifle range. The pistol targets are probably mounted too high for sitting, kneeling and prone.

I have been to Livermore only once, but felt it had more to offer shotgunners than handgun and rifle. A bit exposed to elements on the side of a hill.

The San Leandro range is not my favorite. Would be the place to go if the others are closed. Not bad, but just not interesting.

There is an indoor range, Targetmasters, in Milpitas behind the police station. I used to go there for the great prices on ammo (PMC .357 mag for $11) and guns. Their management changed, they dropped their competition, the gun selection declined, prices went up a bit, I am not interested in the ammo they carry and reload my own. Still a good place for handguns in the rain.

I have not been to the Sunnyvale range, but our ICORE group may use it for some future matches.
Old February 22, 2001, 01:53 AM   #6
SarcasmGuy

Well.......don't have any more suggestions on rifle ranges that haven't been mentioned........but if you need a good indoor pistol range........bullseye in san Rafel gets my nod...........although I usually end up at Richmond as well .........have yet to use their 2oo yd range as I just joined up.
Old February 25, 2001, 11:52 PM   #7
alan

tim21:

Years ago, and I mean a long time back, Chabot Park, in the hills above Oakland had nice range facility, including covered points at 200 yards, where we used to shoot a short range National Match Course.

If it is still there, that is shootable, the range at Fort Barry, across the Golden Gate Bridge, take the turn off going down to Sausalito, then take the ONE WAY TUNNEL through the ridge. The range was on the Fort Barry post, and went out to 600 yards. There was, in distant days, a regular schedule of matches. Also, the Marine Corps range at Mare Island, in Vallejo used to shoot NMC on a regular basis, 200, 300 and 500 or 600 yards.

The abvove mentioined shooting goes back to the late 1960's, when I lived in Oakland and Berkley, and from what I've heard/read, shooting for the law abiding has gotten somewhat sticky in California in the years since then.Hope the above helps.

Old February 27, 2001, 03:53 AM   #8
Bowser

Come to the Richmond range. You don't have to be a member to shoot on the 25 and 100 yard ranges.
There is also a CMP program available at the range.

Also, we have a couple of Trap and Skeet Fields if that takes your fancy.

Bowser.

p.s.- we're non-profit too.
Old February 27, 2001, 04:12 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Range at Fort Barry is still there...

but it's been closed ever since the military moved out. GGNRA (Golden Gate National Recreation Area, managed by the National Park Service) has not seen fit to reopen it. There is a nearby restored Nike Missle site which has been reopened though.
Old March 4, 2001, 03:38 PM   #10
tim21

Thanks

Thank you for all your inputs.