The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 22, 2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Jkk28

What handgun to get?

I am new to the world of handguns. I have narrowed my caliber down to a 9mm or .40 cal. Leaning toward 9mm due to cheaper rounds and more capacity in magazine. As for which brand to get I'm not sure. Looked at the Sig P226 and S&W M&P. I like the feel of the S&W as I have smaller hands and it seems to fit better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 22, 2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Ed4032

Trust me you will buy more guns. Start with the 9mm because ammo is cheaper. You will get to shoot more often that way. Later on you will start drooling for another gun. Keep the first and then get the 40. You'll want a third gun after the. It's like crack.
Old July 22, 2011, 05:42 AM   #3
Shadi Khalil

What do you plan in using it for? If it's going to serve double duty, range and carry, you should consider something smaller than the 226. If it's just for the range and home defense, the 226 is a great choice.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:10 AM   #4
pilpens

Sig Pxxx vs S&W M&P ---------------- Sig Pxxx all the way.

- Had an M&P 9mm - felt good at the store but did not like the trigger when shooting. Trigger could be improved with aftermarket parts but I did not want to bother with it anymore. So, I sold the M&P.
- Shot many Sig Pxxx pistols, all have been good. I own a Sig P6. It is like the P225. Single stack 8+1 capacity.
Great for medium sized hands. Reliable, accurate and pleasant to shoot. I use to CC the P6, now it sits mostly in the safe and when
my nieces and friends shoot, I bring out the P6 because it fits their hands well.
====
I assume that CC is not a concern given that your choices are full sized pistols. If so, then .....
Another choice would be a 5" 1911 in 9mm. Not on your list but .....
I consider it primarily as a range/target pistol but can easily serve as Home Defense pistol.
With centerfire handguns, I started out with revolvers because I could shoot .357 and 38 from 1 handgun, then I went through a capacity/shoot fast phase. So, I shot some high cap 9mm pistols. Glock, CZ, HK, S&W, Sig and
a few others. Now, I have settled on 1911s as the best for range fun. Trigger and overall feel is just great.
Check out the STI spartan 1911 9mm. +1 on adjustable rear and Fiber optic front sight.
EAA Elite Match 9mm maybe something to consider if capacity is an issue. have not shot this but looks good.
====

====

Last edited by pilpens; July 22, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:40 AM   #5
jtb1967

Both are fine guns. It really boils down to which trigger system you're more comfortable with a striker fired gun or the traditional DA/SA system. I'd try to fire examples of both before buying one.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:14 AM   #6
dyl

a resource

you're going to have a lot of fun with this website. Look for the "compare firearms" button. http://www.genitron.com
+1 to what Shadi said - for home defense/range only, you can afford to go with something relatively heavy and full-sized. The longer distance between the front and back sight will aid in accuracy. When learning how to shoot it might be fun to know that the sights on the gun can keep up with you as you push your accuracy or distance (over-simplifying it a bit). The heavy weight will reduce the felt recoil. If you plan on using this mostly for carry you might want something not only smaller but lighter too - purely for convenience. Conceals easier, less of a hassle to lug around (so you're more likely to carry it rather than leave it at home) - but when you get into snubbies or sub-compacts, shooting at long range (25 yards) is harder for the short sight radius.

About the hammer vs. striker fired - we're not sure from your post how familiar you are with these kinds of actions. The Sigs have hammers that you can cock with your thumb (although you don't have to under normal conditions) and striker fired means there's no hammer protruding/visible from the back end. With no hammer that also means if a primer/round doesn't ignite when you pull the trigger, you cannot pull the trigger again to try ignite the same round (you could with a sig. the trigger pull would be longer and heavier: it would be Double Action at that point). But that point is usually made null as the school of thought these days is to do a drill called "tap rack bang" rack the slide and get defective round out anyways. You can't go "wrong" with either.

have you seen these guns in person yet? See if a gun shop has them and ask to see them side by side. You can pay attention to things like how the grip feels in your hand, if you like the sights, how heavy/thick/thin they are, if your thumb can reach the controls (mag release, safety, slide release) comfortably without shifting too much. It seems like you've seen the M&P but not sure about the sig. The ultimate test is to take them to the range for yourself. You can see if there's a range that has rentals and shoot a good bit with both of them. Then you'll know which you shoot better with and some quirks about each like the trigger pull. - whoops jtb already mentioned trying them at the range. It really is the best thing to do when it's available. Last time I bought a gun I was trying to decide between 2 glocks, an XD, and 2 M&Ps! As long as I could come up with 1 reason why I liked/didn't like one or the other, it was enough to feel justified with my purchase.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:18 AM   #7
abercasten

I've got a Ruger SR9 in 9mm. It's ate every brand of ammo I've ran through it and it has narrow grips that fit small hands well. I've heard good things about the S&W M&P, but can't say I've shot one. You've come to the right place to get ideas though!
Old July 22, 2011, 08:35 AM   #8
catnphx

9mm is a good choice and the M&P 9 is a very good gun. Good luck in your decision.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old July 22, 2011, 10:59 AM   #9
TailGator

You gave two good reasons for preferring 9 mm. A 3rd reason is that, for many people, followup shots are quicker and/or more accurate with a 9 mm. Since it is fairly well accepted that handgun calibers require two to three shots to reliably stop a BG, followup shots are an important consideration.

Size and weight in a handgun, like so many other things, are two-edged swords: that extra mass is good when it is absorbing recoil, bad when you carry it on your hip. Ultimately, you have to decide where lies your best point of compromise.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Mrgunsngear

I own Sigs and M&Ps and hands down, I'd go with the M&P. All of mine have been 100% reliable and I prefer the melonite finish to the Nitron finish being used by Sig (yes, I know they are both melonite, but the M&Ps seem to hold up better IMO). I'm not bad mouthing Sig, I love my 1911 tactical, but the M&P series may be the best line of polymer pistols availible.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:05 PM   #11
NJgunowner

It's hard to go wrong with a P226 in either caliber. Might want to try out a CZ75 while your at it, they have good ergonomics and very reliable.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Artie

I will get lynched, but I prefer my Glock 19 over all my other 9mm's, and a Glock 26 would suit you fine, being smaller. I don't own, nor have I ever shot either, but both the SR9 and the LC9 seem to get excellent reviews from just about everyone. If I were on the market for a new 9mm, I would probably gravitate towards the SR9 and LC9 first.

As for a .40, I think things would remain the same for me. The G27 is what I have carried for the past 9 years, and it's my go to gun. Again, I have no experience with the SR40c, but I would look strongly at that first based on reviews of owners.

Keep in mind that I don't even try to stay up to date with everything that hits the market, and I'm sure there are other great guns that I don't even know the name of. I prefer to find something that works and stick with it.
Old July 22, 2011, 01:55 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Sig is a nice choice but I honestly think that brand new it is a bit overpriced. If you can find a nice one used that is a different story. I own an M&P and I have never had a malfunction of any kind. It is also easy for others to pick up and shoot. However I will admit that the trigger is the weak point as it doesn't have a well defined break point.

In the end whatever fits your hand the best and feels the most comfortable will be the best choice. Advice is good but don't let people talk you into or out of a gun if you really feel strongly about it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 22, 2011, 02:09 PM   #14
aarondhgraham

Here's another suggestion for you,,,

Quote:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
In that case I would recommend that you try a CZ-75B on for size.

It's an all steel full-size duty weapon,,,
Not the best for concealed carry,,,
For range use it's hard to beat.

Brand new it will run about $483.00 from Buds Gun Shop.

The S&W pistols and the Sig-Sauer pistols are fine handguns,,,
I just like to see people have lots of options to choose from.

I'm primarily a revolver guy,,,
When I decided I wanted a 9mm semi-auto,,,
I begged people at my range to let me try out their guns.

I probably handled and shot over 40-50 different guns,,,
Then I tried the CZ-75B and knew I had found it.

One other factor you might find appealing,,,
They make a .22 LR version of the same pistol.

You can buy the complete CZ-75B Kadet pistol,,,
Or the Kadet Adapter Kit.

I opted for the two pistols myself,,,

Anyways, just giving you some food for thought.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; July 22, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old July 22, 2011, 02:39 PM   #15
ET.

You might want to consider getting the M&P40. I bought a M&P40 Pro Series because it allowed me to purchase a 40-9mm conversion barrel & 9mm mags so I could shoot both out of the same gun. Why limit yourself to just 9mm by buying the M&P9? You can also buy a 357sig barrel & shoot that round from a M&P40 as well. The barrels I bought from Storm Lake are 100% reliable & just as accurate as the OEM 9mm barrel that my neighbor got with his M&P 9L. I have been using Storm Lake & Lone Wolf aftermarket barrels for several years now. they make a quality barrel that you can trust. Hey, it's something to think about anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie:
As for a .40, I think things would remain the same for me. The G27 is what I have carried for the past 9 years, and it's my go to gun.
I have to agree with you on this one. I conceal carry a G27 & have for a few years & have total faith in it for protecting my life and the lives of my loved ones. It isn't the easiest gun to hold & shoot though because of it's size & it's 2 finger grip. But it also lends itself to changing out barrels for varying ammo calibers. Again 9mm & 357sig can be fired from this gun with just a barrel change (9mm requires a mag change as well). It is always good to have options.

Last edited by ET.; July 22, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old July 22, 2011, 03:22 PM   #16
aarondhgraham

Here's one I'm dying to shoot,,,

The EAA 999175 WITNESS 9MM/22LR COMBO BL,,,
Get it at buds gun shop for $419.00

I handled one at a gun show a few weeks back,,,
It felt very similar to my beloved CZ-75B.

It an Italian Tangfolio,,,
Imported by EAA as the Witness.

Every report on the Witness I have read,,,
Has been very positive on the gun.

I have been told that it's a clone of the CZ-75B,,,
I don't know whether this is true or not,,,
In my hand it sure felt like my CZ.

I'm dying to see someone buy one and give a range report on it.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 22, 2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Sgt01

You should be good with just about any of the major brands (and some not-so-major). 9mm would be a good start. Cheap, accurate and not much recoil. Stepping up to 40, the ammo is a few bucks more, accurate and a snappier recoil. How the gun feels to you actually means alot, regardless of caliber. If you're not comfortable with the gun, you'll probably end up disliking it and not shooting it well. Been there a few times.
Good luck.
Old July 22, 2011, 03:41 PM   #18
Rob96

I am also not a fan of the M&P trigger, but the gun does feel good in the hand. I have had pistols from just about all of he major makers as well as the most popular semi-auto calibers. While it is fun to have a wide assortment of guns and calibers I figured out what works best for me and have narrowed it down to just that. For me it was the Glock 19, everything else went except for my S&W 340 PD.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:54 PM   #19
Chris_B

if the P226 doesn't fit him right it will never be 'right' for him no matter how great a pistol it is- and I think they are great

However, it's my opinion that the P226 really shines in 9mm

How about a P99, by Walther? Or a PPS by the same maker? PPS is designed for concealed carry but it is quite thin as a result, may be just the thing

I know, I'm good at spending other people's money
Old July 22, 2011, 09:10 PM   #20
AustinTX

Quote:
I am new to the world of handguns. I have narrowed my caliber down to a 9mm or .40 cal. Leaning toward 9mm due to cheaper rounds and more capacity in magazine. As for which brand to get I'm not sure. Looked at the Sig P226 and S&W M&P. I like the feel of the S&W as I have smaller hands and it seems to fit better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Go with 9mm. Consider a greater number of guns and determine which one works best for you after renting and shooting them all.
Old July 22, 2011, 09:20 PM   #21
varoadking

Quote:
Sig's customer service really sucks big time, S&W is better but not by much.
S&W Customer Service is among the very best in the business...
Old July 22, 2011, 10:49 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
S&W Customer Service is among the very best in the business...
Agreed. I have had nothing but amazing service from them. In the effort of full disclosure, I live 1 hr from the factory. I own three S&W handguns, only one of which I am the original owner and they never bat an eyelash about dropping this part or that into the mail for free no questions asked.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 22, 2011, 10:58 PM   #23
RC20

9mm for sure. Ammo is less expensive, just as effective as the larger cartridges, easy to get, larger choices, and self defense loads turn it into a where did your shot go

Sig SP2022 is very well priced. Sub $400 even with night sights.

1. Bad point- For me it is ok with standard grip, I have a large hand. Might take it off your list as its too large for yours. I would handle on in your case before you buy (comes with another what I call tri grip, ie. side back and side in one piece). The other one is larger so no recourse for smaller.

2. Sights as good as the S&W.

3. Shoots as good as the high price guns, scary accurate.

4. Weight is pretty good (pushes the upper limits of a poly frame)

It does boil down to first choice of striker vs hammer preference. I obviously prefer hammer.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:56 PM   #24
BIG P

Full size 9mm,which one you like it wont be long youll have 2or 3 anyway
Old July 23, 2011, 01:31 PM   #25
tenusdad

M&P in 9mm. I shot one at the range recently and loved it. Feels good, was reliable and accurate. I have liked my old 226 but the grip is too fat and it doesn't feel that good in the hand. 9mm is everywhere, most armies carry it so it works well enough and cheap to shoot.

Tags
.40 , 9mm , s&w m&p , sig p226