The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Shadi Khalil

First Hunt

Hey guys,

Exciting times here in Shadi's world, my father in law and his brother want to take me hunting for my first time. We will be hunting deer on the brothers property using shotguns. So I'm wondering what to expect, what I need and any general advice you can give me. On Thanksgiving we will be going over safety and such, but I'd like to have a little knowledge going into that. Also, what do I need? My only shotgun is a Mossberg 500 home defense type shotgun but they have plenty suited for hunting. As far as dress, I have nothing except a pair of cameo boxer shorts and the hat portion of an old Elmer Fudd costume

I'm a city boy with a little camping experience, any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys.
Old November 19, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2
egor20

Congrats Shadi

First off, good boots and comfy socks, and dress in layers (t shirt, sweater, jacket) and a pair of well fitting gloves. If you’re used to a pump gun use one of theirs and listen to the safety class, it will be different from yours. How are you hunting, blind, stand or group hunting?

BTW did the CCW come back yet?

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 19, 2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

Hey Egor,

Thanks for the reply. I got the boots and socks and I'll be sure to pay close attention....

Quote:
How are you hunting, blind, stand or group hunting?
What is the difference? Please explain.

Quote:
BTW did the CCW come back yet?
No, not yet. I really wish it would show up, fall is my favorite time to go on nightly strolls with the little lady. We actually just came back from a walk and there was about 5 different occassions where I was wishing it was on me.

I'll also add that we will be hunting in N.E MD, right on the border of PA.
Old November 19, 2010, 10:47 PM   #4
sc outdoorsman

If you are borrowing a gun make sure you are familiar enough with the safety loction to find it without thinking. If you aren't used to a semi and try to use it like a pump it can mess up a follow up shot. Shoot the gun some to get comfortable with it. I am used to a pump and have borrowed my dad's semi and have to remember to just pull the trigger.
Dressing in layers is good advice. If its going to be cold, gloves and a knit cap are nice. I like to use a mesh face cover as well. It is amazing how much difference it makes in cold weather. It also help with mosquitos and such when warm. I also like to carry a foam cushion or thin jacket to sit on. Makes sitting a long time in the stand more bearable.
Old November 19, 2010, 10:59 PM   #5
egor20

Hi Shadi

A blind is when your sitting in a folding chairs behind camo netting and waiting for bambi to walk by.

A stand is when you sit on your butt in a stand in a tree with these
http://www.strongbuiltinc.com/
and wait for bambi to walk by

Group shooting is when you just walk around and look for deer and hope bambi walks by

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 19, 2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Group shooting is when you just walk around and look for deer and hope bambi walks by
Egor,

I'm pretty sure this is what we will be doing. Hopefully Bambi comes by They have tree stands set up all over the property (thanks for the link, btw) as they prefer to hunt with Bows.

Quote:
If you are borrowing a gun make sure you are familiar enough with the safety location to find it without thinking. If you aren't used to a semi and try to use it like a pump it can mess up a follow up shot. Shoot the gun some to get comfortable with it. I am used to a pump and have borrowed my dad's semi and have to remember to just pull the trigger.
A good point and well taken. I actually learned to shoot a shotgun on one of her dads Remington's. I'll probably use that one.

Here's something else I thought of, do you guys generally carry a side arm when hunting? I'm not sure about the restrictions of carrying while hunting (I know CCW in MD is a no no) but we will be on private property. I'm thinking I might as well bring it in case any plinking breaks out.
Old November 19, 2010, 11:47 PM   #7
egor20

I just looked up Marylands open carry laws and provisions, too many big words , but I did notice a provision about Privately owned land...

"Carrying a handgun, whether openly or concealed, is prohibited unless one has a permit to carry a handgun or is on their own property or their own place of business."

I always carry a revolver when I hunt, but then we live in a civilized Commonwealth Shadi

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 20, 2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
I always carry a revolver when I hunt, but then we live in a civilized Commonwealth Shadi
Amen to that my good man!
Old November 20, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9
gaseousclay

definitely remember the safety rules before heading out.

1.always treat your gun as if it's loaded
2.keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction (up is always good) and never point the gun at anything unless you intend to shoot it
3.be aware of your target and beyond

if you're hunting in a group, which it sounds like you are, remember that how you hold your shotgun and/or rifle is also important. you don't want to accidentally shoot someone in your group because your gun was pointed in their direction and accidentally went off
Old November 20, 2010, 11:59 AM   #10
shortwave

In most states, a certain amount of hunter orange clothing is required as the outside layer. Make sure you have yours.

Stand hunting in cold weather, naturally requires more clothing to stay warm then still/group hunting cause you don't want to move anymore than necessary. Deer are very quick to key in on any movement in the woods. All movements should be made veeery slowly.

One more thing, make sure of your backstop when taking that 1st deer.

Goodluck and have a great time.
Old November 20, 2010, 12:17 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Also verify the need or lack of for hunter safety course to be able to buy your license.
Brent
Old November 20, 2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Countertop

I assume your heading across the Potomac to hunt Maryland. Do you know where? On the eastern shore try have Sitka deer - basically miniature elk. Tasty tasty tasty.

Re: Hunter Orange. Get yourself an orange knit cap. And maybe a pullover hunter orange vest. You'll be fine. Follow their lead.

In New England we used to walk the roads looking for tracks and thn follow them to deer. In parts of Virginia, they set dogs lose to round up deer and send deer your way.

Both work.

But most folks simply wait in stands or blinds. If they have them set up already, they know patterns of deer. I suspect you'll be sitting and waiting. Wait Long enough and you'll have some venison.

You can drive deer too. Set folks up in a stand and then have rest of the group walk howard's them pushing deer in their direction.

But to randomly walk in woods - while you might get lucky and stumble on a dumb deer, if you see any deer it's gonna be the white of their tail far in front of you and running away from you.

Re: license & hunter safety course. I think the course is largely b.s. Don't get me wrong, it's good for folks to take, but is a huge impediment to people hunting. It's why Virginia has an apprentice license now that you can get - if your hunting with someone. Not sure if Maryland has it - though for practical purposes you can buy the license online and mark the box (this is illegal mind you, but I suspect you wouldn't be the first to do it). But check Maryland regs, they may allow you to apprentice for short term non resident license. I know you can do it for small game in Maryland, not sure about big game.
Old November 20, 2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Shadi Khalil

Thanks for the replies guys....

Countertop,

We will be hunting somewhere in Norrisville, MD. I didn't even consider the licence part of it. I guess I'll have to look into that...

Anyone one what kind of deer I can expect in that part of MD?
Old November 20, 2010, 02:40 PM   #14
egor20

Mostly white tail Shadi

There have been some bear sightings up that way, so be safe and have a great hunt

This might come in handy for you
http://www.hunter-ed.com/md/index.ht...Fcbd4AodMSs7Yw

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 20, 2010, 03:28 PM   #15
Countertop

Whitetail

Don't forget the camera!
Old November 20, 2010, 06:08 PM   #16
Shadi Khalil

Egor,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for Mr. Pooh.

Countertop,

I'm gonna be sure to to have the camera on ready. I'd love for my wife to come along as she is a talented photog but she doesn't have the stomach for it. She sure eats the heck out of some venison though.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; November 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM.