The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 8, 2001, 02:00 AM   #1
TCW

Hi,
I bought a Surefire synthetic forend w/light for my 870. Well, it didn't fit (what's the deal with QC nowadays?)...$200 for a piece of plastic and a flashlight?? Anyway, it was molded to tight in the rear (rubbing against the rear of the barrel when cycling) and snagged near the top by the mag cap. So, I had to cut a little around the edges. It works fine now, but I want to smooth out the inside a little bit.

Can you sand-down SYNTHETIC?

Thanks!
TCW
Old June 8, 2001, 02:14 AM   #2
Romulus

Just thinking out loud here, but a number of outfits specialize in polymer grip reduction, where the material removal occurs on the outside, so the answer must be yes...

What abrasive media (sandpaper, wet-or-dry paper, etc.) is actually the best I can't venture to guess, but I'm sure you can file or sand or otherwise abrade the synth stock to a pleasing aesthetically acceptable finish...
Old June 8, 2001, 06:32 PM   #3
PKN

I ususally use very fine(500-1000 grit) sandpaper when sanding plastic triggers for a 1911. Leaves a pretty smooth surface.
Old June 8, 2001, 10:56 PM   #4
Joe Portale

yes, you can sand down a synthetic stock material. I have done it a couple times, usually after rasping in the groove for the bolt handle on a rifle. Depending on how much material you will need to remove, you can start with 89 grit and work you way down to 600 wet or dry. The last paper 600 is more to polish the surface to match the rest of the stock. I do this with a little water.

Take your time and you will be okay.

Joe

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old June 11, 2001, 07:52 PM   #5
Rock

TCW
Yes you can sand down the synthetic stock. Save some time and hit it first with a course rasp and finish off with med sandpaper. Just finished a entry mossberg
Rock