The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 9, 2018, 11:48 AM   #51
Don Fischer

Someone needs to bring out a 7mmx50BMG. Be a huge market for it!
Old January 9, 2018, 11:55 AM   #52
stagpanther

Quote:
Someone needs to bring out a 7mmx50BMG. Be a huge market for it!
Not a bad idea--a titanium bullet should withstand the 5,000 to 6,000 fps I would think?
Old January 9, 2018, 12:53 PM   #53
T. O'Heir

"...zero it for him..." You can't. He has to sight it in.
"...risk of a "bullet vaporization"..." That can happen with varmint cartridge bullets shot with the wrong velocity or rifling twist, but doesn't happen much with larger bullets made for penetration. Anyway, loaded ammo is using typical big game hunting bullets. Accubonds and Partitions. Those don't "vaporize".
"...hottest commercial 7mm cartridges..." Kinda doubt that. Midway shows 5 brands of expensive(starts at $60 per 20) factory ammo. All but one are on 'No Backorder'. No stock at Graf's either. That might be about the time of year though.
"...what I think more likely..." He just missed altogether caused buy a lack of practice. The recoil is stout. A 140 grain bullet at 3425 FPS out of an 8.5 pound rifle(An M700 SPS SS weighs 7 5/8 pounds.) has 25.3 ft-lbs. of energy. A 160 at 3200 FPS out of the same rifle has 29.4 ft-lbs. The 7mm Rem Mag runs at lower speeds and therefore has less recoil.
Old January 9, 2018, 01:42 PM   #54
stagpanther

...zero it for him..." You can't. He has to sight it in.

In an absolute his eyes, reach etc--you're right--but he's definitely going to be hitting the target--before the scope was sighted at almost two feet too high

"...risk of a "bullet vaporization"..." That can happen with varmint cartridge bullets shot with the wrong velocity or rifling twist, but doesn't happen much with larger bullets made for penetration. Anyway, loaded ammo is using typical big game hunting bullets. Accubonds and Partitions. Those don't "vaporize".

no comment

"...hottest commercial 7mm cartridges..." Kinda doubt that. Midway shows 5 brands of expensive(starts at $60 per 20) factory ammo. All but one are on 'No Backorder'. No stock at Graf's either. That might be about the time of year though.

Didn't say the core locks were one of the hottest cartridges--I said the 7mm RUM is one of the hottest commercial 7mm cartridges (so says bullet manfacturer's reload books--but what do they know?). Please acquire target before pulling trigger.

"...what I think more likely..." He just missed altogether caused buy a lack of practice. The recoil is stout. A 140 grain bullet at 3425 FPS out of an 8.5 pound rifle(An M700 SPS SS weighs 7 5/8 pounds.) has 25.3 ft-lbs. of energy. A 160 at 3200 FPS out of the same rifle has 29.4 ft-lbs. The 7mm Rem Mag runs at lower speeds and therefore has less recoil.

The recoil is "moderately stout"--my buddy has dropped big game all over the world including some of the big 5--and also shoots a wide range of high power cartridges including a 416 rigby and numerous weatherby magnums--I seriously doubt he has any issues with recoil with the 7mm RUM--I don't and I'm a small wimpy guy compared to my friend.
Old January 9, 2018, 03:27 PM   #55
std7mag

Hmmm, you guys got me thinking...

7mm Lapua Magnum anyone???
Old January 9, 2018, 03:35 PM   #56
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Someone needs to bring out a 7mmx50BMG.
There ain't much point in the 7mm-50 BMG. The .17-50 smokes it.
Barrel life is reported to be nearly infinite - as long as you don't pull the trigger.
Old January 9, 2018, 03:40 PM   #57
stagpanther

Quote:
There ain't much point in the 7mm-50 BMG. The .17-50 smokes it.
My next AR build! Where can I get the barrel?
Old January 9, 2018, 06:12 PM   #58
std7mag

Why not just neck down the 950 Jongman?
Essentially a 20mm cannon case.
Old January 9, 2018, 06:25 PM   #59
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In the 2nd or 3rd edition of Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide To Handloading", he mentioned a .50 BMG necked down to .22 as an experiment.

Also, around the WW II era, Frankford Arsenal built a "gun" of 10-caliber, to fire a 10-grain bullet. They achieved right at 10,000 ft/sec. I've no idea as to the propellant. The photo showed a rather short barrel with an outside diameter of several inches.

I have read that the maximum velocity of a bullet is limited by the velocity of the expanding gas. Unfortunately, I don't recall the number. Maybe a search for the propagation velocity of expanding gas from gunpowder might find something.
Old January 9, 2018, 06:37 PM   #60
stagpanther

Quote:
In the 2nd or 3rd edition of Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide To Handloading", he mentioned a .50 BMG necked down to .22 as an experiment.
Despite my limited grasp of ignition physics--I have to ask, how would a .22 bullet (the small case mouth) succeed in getting a bullet out the barrel without over-pressuring? Are they using a powder that does much of it's approach to peak pressure well after the bullet says "bye bye" to the case?
Old January 9, 2018, 10:37 PM   #61
FrankenMauser

In this case, it is best for one's sanity to revert to the layman's point of view on that 'gun powder':

"It's magical fire dust that makes stuff go fast."
Old January 10, 2018, 12:50 PM   #62
Don Fischer

17x50! That's great! 55gr super metal of some kind bullet at 7000 fps! I wonder if it would kill a sage rat? Bullet could get there and be gone so fast the rat wouldn't know it got hit!

Ah wait, 17x50 AI!