The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 3, 2018, 10:58 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

224 Valkyrie

Does anybody have info regarding the future of this round? So far, I just know the basics: it's a new round by Federal that will essentially be the 6.5 Creed for the AR-15 platform (I'm sure bolt guns too, but the selling point is it'll fit in a standard AR lower), so far Federal is the only company producing the ammo and that there aren't many companies making barrels/BCG/uppers for it currently.

If any of this is wrong, please correct me. I'm curious to see if anybody follows ammo and/or gun companies and read that there are plans to start producing ammo/barrels/BCGs/etc. I'm shopping around now and I'm not seeing much available yet. Not for a good price at least.

Until I saw the video below, I didn't even know this round existed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff54rCQQq-I&t=1294s
I gotta say, I'm very interested in it after watching the video and may make it the next AR build for my empty lower.

Last edited by Spats McGee; January 3, 2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Removing request for moving thread
Old January 3, 2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Glock_17

Only thing i have read or seen is pretty much all sponsored by Federal, like those vids with 22plinkster. Maybe it really is a round that finally manages to out perform a 5.56. Hard to tell when its beeing shot from a custom built range toy around the 6k mark.

Last edited by Glock_17; January 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:39 AM   #3
bedlamite

There have been 6.8spc based wildcats around for a while and they definitely perform similar to the Valkyrie ads, but I would have preferred they make it a 6mm.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:40 AM   #4
TrueBlue711

Quote:
but i would wait and see how it perfoms in a setup that doesnt cost around the 6k mark
Very true, they do have a very expensive setup in the video. Even they mentioned towards the end of the video that they're curious to what the round will do in a standard AR with just a barrel and BCG replacement...which your average Joe will end up doing.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Glock_17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d71TrQZ6uxc
in this one they go a bit more in depth what that setup is made of.
You can be sure Federal has that thing honed to preform prefect with their new best thing since sliced bread

I dunno, its all just a big Federal commercials i have seen so far.
Old January 3, 2018, 12:58 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Yet another answer to an unasked question. The 224 Valkyrie is Federal's response to the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a necked down 6.8x43 SPC. Fires a 90 grain bullet at 2700 FPS out of a 24" barrel. The AE load is a 75 grain TMJ so you can pretend it's military. And a 60 grain Fusion.
This is a pretty good write up.
https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/224...ange-shooting/
Old January 3, 2018, 02:19 PM   #7
jimbob86

What is it for (aside from "to sell")?

Does that stated purpose serve a practical need or want?

Can it do so reliably, and continue to do so at a price point that would justify dropping that cash?

THAT is a REALLY tough row to hoe.

I don't see the few extra foot-pounds of energy or momentum or even a G1 over .500
.... gained over 5.56x45 as enough to buy a whole 'nother gun (ore ven just an upper) and associated consumables (dies, brass, magazines, etc ...): it's still just a .22 ......

I might get one of the CM's ....
Old January 3, 2018, 03:11 PM   #8
TrueBlue711

Quote:
What is it for (aside from "to sell")?
My guess is long range shooting (metal gong ringing) at 1000-1200 yards with little to no recoil, which is what I'm looking to get into now. Was going to go 6.5 Creed, but this answers my question on what to do with my empty AR lower sitting on the floor of my safe. As far as hunting, I would use it on the same things I would use a .223/5.56 on. But hunting wouldn't be the reason I would want this.

That being said, it is still early stages of its life, so I'll wait and see where it goes in the industry before pursuing the build.
Old January 3, 2018, 03:59 PM   #9
50 shooter

Go over to www.maddogweapons.com and look around or jump over to their forums and see if they have some info on what you want or are looking for.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 3, 2018, 05:32 PM   #10
TrueBlue711

Quote:
It's a necked down 6.8x43 SPC
So theoretically, a 6.8 SPC BCG will work for building this rifle?
Old January 3, 2018, 07:28 PM   #11
dakota.potts

I actually got to chamber a couple of rifles in this round as part of an experiment before it was announced by Federal. Never got the chance to shoot it, but I know some people who have. They are getting good results at long range with next to no recoil and minimal wind drift.

I see it as essentially a "gaming" round that can pull double duty for a certain amount of hunting or defensive purposes. Flat shooting, low recoil, and hopefully to be backed with enough factory ammo support to make it worth while. If it continues to stick around and be supported, I would definitely look forward to using the round in the context of Precision Rifle Series Gas Gun or 3-Gun Long Range competitions, for instance.

But I think what will ultimately separate it from the many wildcat cartridges that achieve the same goal is the continued support of factory ammunition, components, and firearms. I believe they have done well with an initial launch of AR platform guns shooting the round, so the rest is a wait-and-see game unless you're willing to be an early adopter.
Old January 3, 2018, 07:41 PM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
So theoretically, a 6.8 SPC BCG will work for building this rifle?

....and magazines, as well .....

..... but

... were I doing this (and I think 90+% of everybody else assembling AR pattern rifles out there) .... I'd think I'd want a BCG matched to the barrel already ....
Old January 3, 2018, 08:47 PM   #13
Mobuck

How much diff between this and the 22 Nosler??
Old January 3, 2018, 08:49 PM   #14
turtlehead

I want one in a bolt action for plinking steel at longer distances. And I won't have to chase my brass around.
Old January 3, 2018, 08:51 PM   #15
ed308

It is based on the 6.8 case but the shoulder is pushed back. Not sure how difficult it will be to convert 6.8 brass but neck turning may be involved. Federal is the only brass supplier currently. But since based off the 6.8 case, Hornady, Nosler and Starline will likely follow if the cartridge sells. A build will be like any 6.8 build except for the barrel. Lots of barrel manufacturers are already on board and coming out with barrels. But you likely won't see them until after Shot Show. But barrels are out there already. Recently read where PSA and Ballistic Advantage plan to offer barrels. To my eyes, this cartridge is getting a lot of interest. I like that is will be soft shooting, 90 gr bullets, available brass and gets close to 6.5 CM. One of the best places for information is the Face Book site: 224 Valkyrie.
Old January 3, 2018, 08:52 PM   #16
Mobuck

"I want one in a bolt action for plinking steel at longer distances. And I won't have to chase my brass around."
A "fast twist" 22.250 will get the job done just as well.
Old January 3, 2018, 08:52 PM   #17
bedlamite

22 nosler has two differences, it uses the 5.56 bolt and it's longer. The 5.56 bolt face is too small for reliable extraction with the bigger case. You can form 22 Nos from Hagar brass and use a 6.8 bolt, but the extra length means you are limited to 77 grain bullets max where the Val can use 90gr.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:16 PM   #18
dakota.potts

I think a .224 Valkyrie is not going to appeal to the more "traditional" hunting rifle crowd. It will appeal to people that want a round that has the following traits:

*Very Low Recoil
*Fit in a "mini" action or AR-15 (we have yet to see the implications in a CZ 527 or Howa Mini size action)
*Compatibility with high-capacity magazines and modern semi-automatic rifles
*Long Range stability and Easy Use with heavy, high BC bullets
*Potential for low-cost plinking ammo support (at least in the same range as .300 BLK, 6.8 SPC, etc.)
*The allure of a "more lethal"/ "more effective" 5.56mm cartridge
*Builds on the appeal of the wildly successful 6.5 Creedmoor Cartridge
*Has a really cool name romanticizing feats of victory in battle

.22 Nosler does some of the above but as far as I know fails to meet the mark for widespread industry support and affordable supply cost. I also don't see any .22 Nosler ammo shooting the super heavy-for-caliber 90 grain bullets. .22-250 is geared towards much lighter bullets, especially in factory ammo configuration, and doesn't fit in an AR-15/AR-15 magazine.

Right now, Midway USA has .224 Valkyrie ammo available for as low as $11.29/20 and is also carrying the Federal Gold Medal Match 90 gr for $25/box.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:47 PM   #19
turtlehead

Now I want the feats of victory.
Old January 4, 2018, 02:02 AM   #20
FrankenMauser

Supersonic to 1,300 yards out of a ".22 caliber" AR is all it's got.
Everything else is matched, and/or greatly exceeded, by other cartridges.

You want it? Get it.

Me? I'll stick with my .243 Win(s)...
Old January 4, 2018, 08:20 AM   #21
ed308

But that .243 Win won't fit in the AR15 frame. I like the 6mm wildcats out there like Tac 6. But I hate forming brass. Got enough of that with my 270AR.
Old January 4, 2018, 08:25 AM   #22
Mobuck

It's beginning to look like this round AND the 6.5 C are both working off of the premise of outperforming other similar cartridges based on stricter attention to detail in manufacture.
How many "other" rounds would have been stars if this much effort had gone into development and production? Many cartridges have been hampered by barrel makers simply refusing to produce twist rates allowing heavier than standard bullets.
Hop on the band wagon if you want but I'm not seeing the banners flying.
Old January 4, 2018, 10:19 AM   #23
TrueBlue711

Quote:
How much diff between this and the 22 Nosler??
Another big difference is the BC. 22 Nosler has a BC of around .34 and the 224 has a BC around a .53 or .56...pretty big difference, which is why the 224 can shoot 1000+ yds better than any other round that fits in a standard AR.

For those who were looking to make a long range AR, such as myself, the 224 sounds like a game changer. We'll see how the industry and community accept the round. Judging how well the 6.5 Creed took off, I'd say this has a good chance of doing the same.
Old January 4, 2018, 04:12 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Quote:
But that .243 Win won't fit in the AR15 frame. I like the 6mm wildcats out there like Tac 6. But I hate forming brass. Got enough of that with my 270AR.
I don't need it to fit in an AR. I have bolt guns for that.

The whole "1,300 yard .22 caliber AR" is, to me, a concept that equates to home gyms. Tons of people like the idea, and think they'll make use of it; but said home gyms just gather dust while the purchaser continues to make their monthly payments ... until, one day, they sell it for a 90% loss at a yard sale with half of the accessories still factory-wrapped. It turns out that fantasy doesn't translate well into reality, and the tool is a one-trick-pony.
Old January 4, 2018, 10:12 PM   #25
Mobuck

"Another big difference is the BC. 22 Nosler has a BC of around .34 and the 224 has a BC around a .53 or .56...pretty big difference, which is why the 224 can shoot 1000+ yds better than any other round that fits in a standard AR."
Actually, no this is NOT a difference between the cartridges themselves. It's a difference in the barrel twist and the bullet length which will be loaded.